Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6779 6780 [6781] 6782 6783 ... 8155

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8548179 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #101700 on: February 08, 2016, 09:41:38 am »

If I had a fortune I'd probably invest it and give away any returns I didn't need to live on.

I don't even know what I would do with the money. Probably give it away. I have no aspirations and no motivation to do anything. No hopes or dreams for the future... Nothing.
Hi, me.
Hello yourself, me.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #101701 on: February 08, 2016, 11:56:28 am »

New week. More college classes.

Depressed. Really don't feel like continuing to do this shit. None of this means anything.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101702 on: February 08, 2016, 12:23:44 pm »

New week. More college classes.

Depressed. Really don't feel like continuing to do this shit. None of this means anything.

In a few years when your degree enables you to have a good job and a good life, you'll be glad you did it.  I know that doesn't help with your feelings right now, but focusing on the long-term got me through a lot of stuff.

If you aren't getting a degree that will enable you to have a good job and a good life, that's the problem right there.  In that case, your instincts are on target; you are in job training that is not really training you for a good job, so what you're doing doesn't matter.

Also, depression gets better. It will!  You probably need help though, because it's a lot harder to do it on your own - I don't actually know anyone who's managed that.  Find a group of people who take charity / service seriously and stick with them.  You'll feel more motivated because you'll be doing something meaningful (i.e. making others' lives better) and you'll be in a group of people who are used to taking care of others, which should help you get the care you need.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 12:30:51 pm by Ghills »
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101703 on: February 08, 2016, 12:29:03 pm »

If I had a fortune I'd probably invest it and give away any returns I didn't need to live on.

I don't even know what I would do with the money. Probably give it away. I have no aspirations and no motivation to do anything. No hopes or dreams for the future... Nothing.
Hi, me.
Hello yourself, me.

Going out and getting someone to smile is the best way I've found to get motivated. The most effective way is it get involved in a group of people who are generally charitable and do organized service regularly, but just doing stuff on your own works too.

Spontaneously make a craft / meal for a friend. Donate a bunch of food to a food bank.  Thank someone helping you in a shop.
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #101704 on: February 08, 2016, 01:01:43 pm »

I passed all the exams for the mandatory courses. I passed the exam for an elective that was intended for more advanced students. And, of course, I fail a single dumb pointless elective I took just for the credit because the professor decided to make it short-answer, arbitrarily scored and occasionally blatantly off-topic.

Which in turn means that instead of going on the kind of college trip with friends everyone and their dog reminisces on later I'm stuck back in a ginormous pile of paper, having no life as usual. Life's RNG broken, devs pls fix.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101705 on: February 08, 2016, 01:10:28 pm »

Hi, me.
Hello yourself, me.

Going out and getting someone to smile is the best way I've found to get motivated. The most effective way is it get involved in a group of people who are generally charitable and do organized service regularly, but just doing stuff on your own works too.

Spontaneously make a craft / meal for a friend. Donate a bunch of food to a food bank.  Thank someone helping you in a shop.

If I had a fortune I'd probably use it until I had enough strip mall space and rental properties to hire someone to manage them for me and still live fairly comfortably. Maybe section 8. The government always pays rent on time.

It's an unattainable dream, probably, but it's mine.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 01:15:58 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #101706 on: February 08, 2016, 01:29:54 pm »

Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101707 on: February 08, 2016, 02:41:43 pm »

I'm really sorry. Your family sounds very messed up.  Do you have any money / time for talking with a therapist? That could be really helpful in developing better coping mechanisms so you can get your emotions under control and do what you want to do.

Also - your friend does not sound like she's withdrawing. She's just living her life without any idea what's going on in your head.  Hanging out with friends is a normal thing for her to do and not related to you at all.  Even if you were in a relationship, she would still hang out with her friends without you around. 

Seeing her at work is obviously not enough if you want a relationship - your instincts on that point are good. The problem comes because you don't know if she wants a relationship with you. Nothing is settled.

If you really want to try for a relationship, I don't think waiting is a good idea.  Women do eventually notice guys who are becoming increasingly stalky and you sound at risk for escalating without realizing it.  Don't wait for a 'perfect moment' or whatever.  Just tell her and ask her out to something casual, easy, and low-commitment.  The goal is to make spending time with you fun and easy for her, not to pressure her into anything.  Prepare yourself - she could well say no, and you need to be ready for that and able to not get upset at her (getting upset in private later, fine and healthy, but absolutely do not pressure her if she says no). 

FYI, you don't sound like great dating material at the moment due to your circumstances. It's nothing to do with you personally. There's just too much going on in your life dealing with your crappy family and job.  A lot of women would look at things and go 'This guy has a lot going on and I want to be with someone who can put our relationship first'.  Putting romance on the backburner to focus on your own emotional health and getting away from your dysfunctional family might be the most important thing you can do to be more romantically attractive.

If you can't / won't get to a therapist, I highly recommend the Feeling Good Book by David Burns as a cheap stand-in until you have the resources. It's a book about identifying bad mental habits and getting out of them.  Other self-help books about self-esteem, communicating assertively but not aggressively, how to understand your instincts, etc would also be good first steps. Do you have a local pastor or teacher who would be on your side and keep your interests in mind that you could talk to?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 02:49:39 pm by Ghills »
To summarize:

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #101708 on: February 08, 2016, 03:18:04 pm »

How do you deal with multigenerational mommy issues

I've just barely got my own mommy issues to a manageable point, but that's only because my mother had her own mommy issues under control

Now grandma is back, she has dementia and can barely remember last week, which makes it REALLY hard to find a stable living situation for her

and the mommy issues cascade back down
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101709 on: February 08, 2016, 03:39:06 pm »

I'm really sorry. Your family sounds very messed up.  Do you have any money / time for talking with a therapist? That could be really helpful in developing better coping mechanisms so you can get your emotions under control and do what you want to do.
My thanks for the condolences. My family isn't that bad - single mom, never met my biological father, stepfather mom met when I was about 7 just so happened to be the least compatible person with me I've ever met. Buncha emotional abuse mainly because he was raised that way, as I understand it. Self-perpetuating abuse cycle and all that. They've split up and probably wouldn't see each other anymore if not for having to share custody of my brother. Technically half-brother I suppose, but that's a thin distinction.
I've been to a few therapists but due to a combination of me being really fucking bad at expressing my emotions (guess who's fault that is) and the therapists in question not being the best pick/me kinda misleading them, it never really went anywhere. It's hard for me to really explain what's going on with me sometimes because for example all the ramble posts and such I write here tend to be when I'm feeling really low and need to vent. That's such a radically different state of mind from how I usually am that it's difficult to comprehend my thought processes then.

Though the last therapist I went to was pretty good. Haven't rescheduled an appointment yet because I was feeling pretty good after a few months of going to her and didn't foresee any issues coming my way, which in hindsight and my cynical predictions back then was stupid.

Also - your friend does not sound like she's withdrawing. She's just living her life without any idea what's going on in your head.  Hanging out with friends is a normal thing for her to do and not related to you at all.  Even if you were in a relationship, she would still hang out with her friends without you around. 
Yep. Easy for me to grasp now when I'm relatively distracted from my internal turmoil, but that feeling of jealousy and neediness and all that's getting worse as time goes on and it's nigh impossible to think rationally when under its effects. Unpleasant.

Seeing her at work is obviously not enough if you want a relationship - your instincts on that point are good. The problem comes because you don't know if she wants a relationship with you. Nothing is settled.

If you really want to try for a relationship, I don't think waiting is a good idea.  Women do eventually notice guys who are becoming increasingly stalky and you sound at risk for escalating without realizing it.  Don't wait for a 'perfect moment' or whatever.  Just tell her and ask her out to something casual, easy, and low-commitment.  The goal is to make spending time with you fun and easy for her, not to pressure her into anything.  Prepare yourself - she could well say no, and you need to be ready for that and able to not get upset at her (getting upset in private later, fine and healthy, but absolutely do not pressure her if she says no).
This point has some good advice in it, but circumstances that you don't know about render it null and void. To summarize, she's been in a stable relationship for about 3.75 years now and I didn't say anything when I noticed my feelings developing due to my chronic undervaluing of my own wellbeing and not wanting to complicate the situation/lose the only friend I had/have. By now obviously the emotional front has gotten significantly more fucked up on my side and I've finally figured out that confessing would let me at least start to move on. Also I'm not even sure if I would want to date her or if it's just me latching onto the first non-familial person to show me a measure of affection in a while and cranking the attachment dial up to 12/10. If I could think rationally about it I could answer that, but I haven't been able to for quite a while now.

much going on in your life dealing with your crappy family and job.  A lot of women would look at things and go 'This guy has a lot going on and I want to be with someone who can put our relationship first'.  Putting romance on the backburner to focus on your own emotional health and getting away from your dysfunctional family might be the most important thing you can do to be more romantically attractive.
Mostly same as above. The job's honestly not a bad one, I'm just getting really bored with it and I'm starting to associate the emotional pain and all that with the place since I see her there most often. And while I don't deny that my family was dysfunctional as fuck for at least 9 years, the thing I was ranting about last night had pretty much nothing to do with that - I just seem to have developed this complex or something where I get irrationally angry at my mom when I see her drunk. It's actually kinda concerning since I don't know what caused it to pop up and whether it's been going on for a whole or just started. Point being, I'm mainly the one with the issues, my family's (well my mom and my brother, I don't really include the stepdad in my familial image) pretty much okay. She just went over to a friend's and got caught up having fun talking with them.

s a cheap stand-in until you have the resources. It's a book about identifying bad mental habits and getting out of them.  Other self-help books about self-esteem, communicating assertively but not aggressively, how to understand your instincts, etc would also be good first steps. Do you have a local pastor or teacher who would be on your side and keep your interests in mind that you could talk to?
No pastor/teacher I could talk to; never really connected with any figure of authority growing up, partially due to moving all the damn time (probably didn't help with the trouble making friends) and the consistent trouble with expressing my feelings that's plagued me since I was around 7 or 8. Actually looking back I can see the patterns in my behaviour that indicated it was starting. Damn. Though after this morning I think I'll make another appointment with the therapist I was seeing earlier.

I do appreciate the advice though, especially since you're under no obligation to give it.
Sig! Onol

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #101710 on: February 08, 2016, 04:39:13 pm »

Does an adrenaline rush happen during a panic or anxiety attack? I can't tell if I just had one or something else...
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101711 on: February 08, 2016, 04:40:52 pm »

Tends to. What happened?
Sig! Onol

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
« Reply #101712 on: February 08, 2016, 04:55:42 pm »

ive had a really fucking shitty day and the week isnt going to get better, and i'd had some happies that i forgot to post yesterday but that's gone now

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #101713 on: February 08, 2016, 04:58:15 pm »

In a few years when your degree enables you to have a good job and a good life, you'll be glad you did it.  I know that doesn't help with your feelings right now, but focusing on the long-term got me through a lot of stuff.

If you aren't getting a degree that will enable you to have a good job and a good life, that's the problem right there.  In that case, your instincts are on target; you are in job training that is not really training you for a good job, so what you're doing doesn't matter.

see, I've been hearing that pretty much every degree I'm interested in (or think I'm interested in) is over-saturated with applicants, and the economy is so shit and the job market is so shit that even college degrees don't mean much and college graduates can more often than not be stuck working dead-end minimum wage jobs.

Furthermore I'm not even that interested in making money. I just have to get a job and make money to live. Because society works like that. Not very motivating.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101714 on: February 08, 2016, 05:29:23 pm »

...snipping to avoid making a huge post...

OK, that family situation is much less messed up than I was afraid of.  But don't underplay it - there is still definitely a bunch of messed up stuff, and the messed up history is obviously still causing problems even if the issue isn't currently ongoing.  It's great that you're taking steps to manage this, like going back to the therapist. Issues with emotions stick around for a while - they're hard to change because they're a part of you and so you have to change yourself. It's totally worth it, even when it's frustrating.

Also - it's totally reasonable to be ticked off at your mom for not telling you the plan for the evening and getting drunk enough to sleep over somewhere.  That would be super irritating if a friend was doing it. I don't know the exact circumstances, but on the face of it I would certainly be extremely upset if someone did that to me.

It really doesn't sound like your mom is super together. If a parent gets so caught up in drinking with buddies that they forget to get their kids home, that is super messed up.  It's not abuse, but it's definitely bad parenting. Good parenting would be getting a babysitter (or hey, letting you babysit your younger brother) so she can have some adult time with her friends. Also, not having backup sheets so that her kids can sleep warmly while medicating / whatever the buggy ones.  These are things you are right to get upset about.  Maybe your mom needs some backup on the parenting front?  DON'T GIVE HER YOUR MONEY TO HELP (sorry for caps, but this is a huge problem in struggling families - you could ruin your finances for years if you get into the habit of handing over paychecks or money), but maybe do more of managing your part in the household?  I really don't know the circumstances - you'll have to make the judgement call on this one. 

Ouch, that situation with the friend does sound complicated. She definitely needs to be told, because it's starting to impact your relationship. But you also definitely need other friends to sort out whether you're attracted to her or just want companionship (which is a totally logical want). Do you have meetup.com or something similar in the area?  Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

If you're not utterly opposed to the idea, one way to build friendships and a support network would be to join a local church.  They're often decent at replicating an extended-family-like support group when one's own extended family is full of fruitcakes.  YMMV but it might be worth a shot.  Finding a local service organization that deals with issues similar to yours might help with finding other resources.

It does sound like communication is the next big hurdle for you - you seem like a basically sound person who's just dealing with a lot of emotion and can't work out how to signal what you're feeling and thinking well enough to get good results.  The Feeling Good book would still probably help, but communication skills books might be more specific to what you need.  Here's a brief overview of the 4 major communication styles if you haven't run into them before (no endorsement of this particular site - I just picked this link from Google because the descriptions seemed good): http://serenityonlinetherapy.com/assertiveness.htm

I'm always happy to talk about things - as anyone who's met me for 5 minutes can tell you, I love to give advice.  Good luck with dealing with all this! 

« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 05:32:52 pm by Ghills »
To summarize:
Pages: 1 ... 6779 6780 [6781] 6782 6783 ... 8155