Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7336 7337 [7338] 7339 7340 ... 8155

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8558219 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #110055 on: January 29, 2017, 08:07:13 am »

15cm slash all across the pocket. I doubt I could get it repaired to waterproof level. Ah well, at least I informed my supermarket's manager that there's someone with a very sharp blade running about slashing his customer's clothing. I hope they can catch whomever did it.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #110056 on: January 29, 2017, 08:54:48 am »

Want to try martial arts of some form, but there's nothing close by for adults.

The perks of living in the countryside...
Just go out and wrestle with the wildlife, DF style.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #110057 on: January 29, 2017, 08:58:05 am »

Start with goldfish, work your way up to carp

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110058 on: January 29, 2017, 04:41:13 pm »

15cm slash all across the pocket. I doubt I could get it repaired to waterproof level. Ah well, at least I informed my supermarket's manager that there's someone with a very sharp blade running about slashing his customer's clothing. I hope they can catch whomever did it.

The idiotic swine couldn't have just reached in the pocket?

I detest stupid criminals.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110059 on: January 29, 2017, 04:49:41 pm »

Dude's planning to steal your wallet. Why would they give a damn about leaving your jacket intact?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110060 on: January 29, 2017, 04:54:20 pm »

Dude's planning to steal your wallet. Why would they give a damn about leaving your jacket intact?

If I were ever reduced to thievery, I would try to minimize the harm I caused.

There's also the issue of utility.  Exactly how is slashing something with a knife easier than reaching into a pocket?  It also makes the crime a crime involving a weapon, which would turn a misdemeanor into a felony and guarantee slammer time.

The guy isn't just a complete bastard, he's an utter idiot.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #110061 on: January 29, 2017, 05:01:04 pm »

Using an extremely sharp knife like a stanley, razorblade, or a scalpel is less detectable than opening a pocket / purse / backpack zipper. It's not some novelty trick, it's used by thieves worldwide. It's dangerous as fuck though. If someone notices, spooks and turns around, the knife could just as well cut flesh. First time it ever happened to me though. Let's hope last time as well.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110062 on: January 29, 2017, 05:02:03 pm »

Ugh, that is really shitty. I'm sorry.

As a penny-pincher; if you'd like to try to salvage it, rather than forsaking a perfectly good coat, go looking for a waterproof patch that covers the cut. Or two, if you want it to look symmetrical (if you want to get really fancy, you can cut it into a shape that compliments the area it's attached to, as well as sealing the slash). You might look online for tutorials on repairing the material as well.

Depending on the material the coat is made out of, a tent repair kit at an outdoor or craft supply store could work well. You can track down a fabric patch and use waterproofing liquid or spray-on wax sealant for the fabric you get, to make your own patch. I've done both with clothes and shoes when I was below dirt-poor, and it works. If you don't mind being crafty, you can even embellish the thing to make it look more nifty.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110063 on: January 29, 2017, 05:13:43 pm »

If I were ever reduced to thievery, I would try to minimize the harm I caused.

There's also the issue of utility.  Exactly how is slashing something with a knife easier than reaching into a pocket?  It also makes the crime a crime involving a weapon, which would turn a misdemeanor into a felony and guarantee slammer time.

The guy isn't just a complete bastard, he's an utter idiot.
It's easier if the pocket is shut (buttons or zips? No way someone is opening that without you noticing) to just slice it open, which as demonstrated can be done without the victim noticing. It's not something unique to that thief.

If caught in the act, having a knife means the victim is less likely to try to chase after the thief or fight for the wallet, so escaping would be easier.
If nothing else if caught in the act and the victim tries to have at the thief, the thief can shank their ass and take off.

I'm not complimenting the thief here, but it's not utter idiocy.

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Well, go on ... parade!
    • View Profile
« Reply #110064 on: January 29, 2017, 06:22:45 pm »

I can't seem to focus and I keep second guessing myself all the time.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110065 on: January 29, 2017, 06:27:56 pm »

I can't seem to focus and I keep second guessing myself all the time.
Are you sure you're second guessing yourself?

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110066 on: January 29, 2017, 06:36:55 pm »

Okay, that's just silly.

Meanwhile: Want to be doing something protesty.  Am instead trying to tear myself away from the trainwreck long enough to do homework.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110067 on: January 29, 2017, 07:04:17 pm »

Actually improving your education might count as civil disobedience these days...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #110068 on: January 29, 2017, 07:07:41 pm »

Either A) I'm going to be living in an openly fascist country soon or B) the biggest political incident of my puny lifetime might happen in a month or less

Considering it's even gotten to this point it looks like option A is probably the default
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110069 on: January 29, 2017, 07:09:02 pm »

Actually improving your education might count as civil disobedience these days...
Then homework it is.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.
Pages: 1 ... 7336 7337 [7338] 7339 7340 ... 8155