Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7356 7357 [7358] 7359 7360 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8576330 times)

Felissan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hopefully not killing this game too
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #110355 on: March 14, 2017, 12:00:37 pm »

Oh hey, guess what, my dad keeps being a dick to me. I won't give more details, I think I've already given enough of those.
Quote from: xkcd
I always figured you should never bring a gun to a gun fight because then you'll be part of a gun fight.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #110356 on: March 14, 2017, 12:07:11 pm »

Minor sar: the semieternal wait for the next GoT book and for Doors of Stone  irks me. Partially mollified by the fact that there are plenty of other authors that write good fiction series yet keep a more regular book scheudle (see:  Mark Lawrence, Charles Stross, Benedict Jacka, Brent Weeks...) 

However, that makes the perma-delays even more astonishing
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110357 on: March 14, 2017, 03:20:32 pm »

Yay I am sad!

No one gonna apologize... >_< ohh well (no, nothing happened on Bay12)

Silthuri

• Bay Watcher
  • Having a good ol' time lurking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110358 on: March 14, 2017, 04:44:46 pm »

I've never actually wanted to go get drunk as much as I do now but I live with my dad, who frowns upon alcohol. Seriously thinking about sneaking something home though. I am 21 after all and it's perfectly legal.

Life is falling apart. I'm not accomplishing anything. Relationships are fading away. Probably going to be single before long. My future is not looking very good. I feel myself shutting down.

Ugh.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #110359 on: March 14, 2017, 05:00:53 pm »

this hit really close to home for me. My dad is a teacher, and the same thing pretty much happened to him awhile back. Some kid decided to tell his parents that he had cussed at them (he hadn't) and his mom was on the school board. He had worked for the district for around 12 years, but after that it was 5 new jobs in five years. Each time he had to fight harder than the last time to get a job, cause they were piling up on his record. He finally retired this year (Thank god he was close to retirement when it happened), but all the shit he had to deal with at the end really made him bitter and pessimistic about people and the world in general. Completely changed his personality, because of one asshole kid. Just makes me sad.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #110360 on: March 14, 2017, 05:13:39 pm »

this hit really close to home for me. My dad is a teacher, and the same thing pretty much happened to him awhile back. Some kid decided to tell his parents that he had cussed at them (he hadn't) and his mom was on the school board. He had worked for the district for around 12 years, but after that it was 5 new jobs in five years. Each time he had to fight harder than the last time to get a job, cause they were piling up on his record. He finally retired this year (Thank god he was close to retirement when it happened), but all the shit he had to deal with at the end really made him bitter and pessimistic about people and the world in general. Completely changed his personality, because of one asshole kid. Just makes me sad.

https://youtu.be/DYOc-LqkrsE
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #110361 on: March 14, 2017, 05:22:35 pm »

Should you really eat Honeysuckle? That doesn't sound healthy...
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #110362 on: March 14, 2017, 10:41:48 pm »

Should you really eat Honeysuckle? That doesn't sound healthy...

I used to all the time when I was a kid. We had a honeysuckle vine near our house.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110363 on: March 14, 2017, 11:32:56 pm »

Honeysuckle is delicious.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #110364 on: March 15, 2017, 02:15:41 am »

A local daycare center had its flag flying half-mast. News haven't come in yet, but the rumour is that someone, possibly a child, had a fatal stroke.

E: it was an employee, a friend of one of my co-workers. The part with the child was that she was survived by her husband and two children, one of whom is disabled.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 04:22:05 am by IcyTea31 »
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110365 on: March 15, 2017, 02:50:38 pm »

Cat of 10 years died recently, we think it was a heart attack. She's buried in the back garden now. I still have dirt from digging her grave on my shoes, a week later. We're all more or less past it, but I keep noticing all the places she would have been lounging in, or that would have had some fur of scattered food and are now empty.  :(

Also, the snake isn't eating properly, and hasn't been for several months.

It's normal during winter, and I think he's been trying to find a mate more recently, which also makes them not want to eat, and I know it's fine for a snake to go months at a time with no food, but it still makes me nervous, he's my first snake and I've still not had him for all that long, just a year and a half.

Lastly I'm starting to worry my depression is coming back. Been getting some of the symptoms again, but I'm not sure if it's actually returning or just a result of generally feeling shitty lately.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
I'm Thirteen And This Is Water Well In Sudan
« Reply #110366 on: March 15, 2017, 09:28:15 pm »

So, being the living under a rock dude I am, I just only watched Interstellar. I really need to catch up on all the movies I missed the past few years (Interstellar being one of worst offenders, it came out like a year before my actual... shit happens cutoff, when I stopped giving a damn), there has been quite a few.
I...
...uh...
I'd really want to watch Cinema Sins or read up some more serious notes on why it's all bullshit (Quantum love, if that shit was true then I might as well start believing in miracles because I am afraid love fucked me sideways for now, with no prospects of it getting any better), but... I kinda don't. Sometimes, with science-fiction, you just got to lay back and not give a damn. It toyed with real science, and the plot "twists" were good enough for me to suspect them, but not be sure until they actually happened. And I liked the music.

But, you know, the thing that got me was the quote. You know, the "Rage, rage against the dying of the light." one. It's one of those many quotes that I've been catching through the years, like the Captain America "No, you move." one. The ones that tell you to basically say "Fuck you." to the inventable, despite everyone is telling you that i makes no sense. I have been defiant on many matters through my whole life, and many times were right (not that it matters much in the end), to the point I took my stuborness as a defining characteristic of mine. But I am afraid that time will come, or might have already came, when I shouldn't have stood against everything else. I am afraid that there will be an really important decision and I will be wrong but I will still choose to go against everything else. And it made me think. I am in a spot in which I will either stand my ground or let go and succumb to the pressure. Letting go seems much more logical, and that's what people seem to tell me to do, but still, I feel like I shouldn't. That if I will surrender I will betray what I stood for, agree to that there is nothing worth fighting for and I will lose myself. If I'm wrong and choose to not give up, I will proably end up as a cynic failure of a man hating himself for being such stubborn fool. If I choose to give up, I will go against my beliefs, and I am afraid I will despite myself for betraying myself.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #110367 on: March 16, 2017, 02:53:34 am »

Don't trust Cinema Sins for anything scientific. Unlike what their Interstellar review said, most of it is actually quite plausible science-wise all the way until they go into the blackhole. After that is entirely sci-fi.

It's very obvious that NDT didn't read Kip Thorne's book (The Science of Interstellar) before pretending he knows everything about the physics involved. I did actually read the book and he's very honest about which parts are basically fact, which parts are plausible, and which parts are just made up mostly. I suggest you give it a read, too! One interesting fact I remember is that Thorne said that Gargantuan is drawn a lot smaller from one of the planets (the ocean one?) than it actually would be, science-wise, for dramatic effect.

Oh yeah, another tidbit is that Interstellar's rendering of a black hole is very true to physics.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 02:55:24 am by Skyrunner »

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #110368 on: March 16, 2017, 03:53:28 am »

Cinema sins is a pile of crap, yeah. Guy doesn't do his research at all.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #110369 on: March 16, 2017, 06:26:49 am »

What kind of research would you expect him to do? It's a show about silly things in movies.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 7356 7357 [7358] 7359 7360 ... 8156