Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7391 7392 [7393] 7394 7395 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8565118 times)

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #110880 on: May 25, 2017, 01:46:20 am »

I feel like there's a bit of a culture of "since men have passive advantages, they deserve whatever active disadvantage they get" which leads to situations where being a man might be favoured by the culture but it sure as hell doesn't feel like it. #MenAreTrash was trending massively for a while, meant seriously. But apparently that's okay, because since being a man conveys passive advantages it's alright to attack them.

That's just how it feels to me. And hey, I can't even do anything to not be trash - all men are trash. No exceptions! Constructive dialogue right there, folks.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #110881 on: May 25, 2017, 02:09:55 am »

The US job market continues to make me want to die.

It's just a giant institution that repeats how useless I've always been while I slam my head into brick wall.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #110882 on: May 25, 2017, 02:15:03 am »

I stay almost completely away from any discussion about feminism anymore, because it's become so poisonous and absolutist on both sides.  It sucks.  Because I think this stuff is important to talk through and culturally progress on, but... it's just not happening.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #110883 on: May 25, 2017, 02:25:11 am »

I stay almost completely away from any discussion about feminism anymore, because it's become so poisonous and absolutist on both sides.  It sucks.  Because I think this stuff is important to talk through and culturally progress on, but... it's just not happening.

Basically. I actually don't intend to engage with any responses to my post, because it's just something that's been bothering me that I wanted to throw out there. If I run across identity politics of any kind, I usually disengage instantly.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #110884 on: May 25, 2017, 02:37:01 am »

It's just a giant institution that repeats how useless I've always been while I slam my head into brick wall.

The only thing the job market measures is your usefulness to the interests of wealthy people.  Seriously -- if a person/company hires you, they expect to get greater financial return from you than what the invest into you.  There are many, many things a person can do/be that are incredibly useful and valuable, but do not serve that specific purpose and are thus not measured as such by the job market.  Don't use it that way.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #110885 on: May 25, 2017, 02:56:12 am »

Basically. I actually don't intend to engage with any responses to my post, because it's just something that's been bothering me that I wanted to throw out there. If I run across identity politics of any kind, I usually disengage instantly.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 03:07:51 am by HugoLuman »
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110886 on: May 25, 2017, 04:10:46 am »

Seriously kids. Take it from somebody without an internal gender. Masculinity is not wrong. Nor is Femininity.  Both have their place, and either in excess in society is deleterious.  Prada woman, and Machismo man are just the polar extremes of the same axis-- both are annoying, because they are both so extreme.  People that gravitate toward the middle, but have a bias one side or the other, are just fine, as long as they don't drink the koolaid, and believe that their view is best (or that their innate gender state is wrong.) That is screwed up.

Spoiler:  rant on feminism (click to show/hide)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #110887 on: May 25, 2017, 04:35:42 am »

This. For me, feminism is just another form of sexism, which falls in the same category as racism, namely discrimination. A lot of feminists have no fucking idea what emancipation means.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #110888 on: May 25, 2017, 07:34:52 am »

This. For me, feminism is just another form of sexism, which falls in the same category as racism, namely discrimination. A lot of feminists have no fucking idea what emancipation means.
o_O
Is this how feminism has come in many areas? I've never noticed localized feelings way towards it this way (eg like, 'the patriarchy' is at fault overall), although that's only speaking from personal experience over all the years with people from different ideologies in my locality. Anyway.

I'm agreeing fully with wierd here. (alongside being able to discord chat with you--do remember the factor of their timeline and life too; they are exposed to things that may have a rather out-of-context or different sensitivity when said in casual conversation, to different people of different generations. I'm specifically speaking of 'catchphrases commonly used' or communicative styles, as there are things people say that may have been more a common product of media at their time and it stuck)

Also alongside the (at least where I am) commonly held value that female != lesser than male or otherwise, there's a ton of research denoting that there's little significant actual difference that makes anything greater than the other on the big scale. :O
Going off on the tantrum about the patriarchy, and about how men are responsible for all the worlds problems, causes people to have self-shame,
This is also important to note, as an attitude, that it affects people due to its consistency. Shaming or putting ill-meaning towards a very general thing without specifics (eg cognitive stereotyping, which means 'a basic cognitive way that the mind uses to classify things', added with 'ill meaning' will affect people's feelings, emotions, and perceptions if it is a consistent habit, and even a belief, if taken only at that)

Also, Hugo, taking it out of context to what you typed there (because discord and added context and all), mood is a very important factor affecting what people will say and do say. Consistency, and Time, are also very important to all that. From an impression, a concept comes, a concept becomes that basic building block to connect/imply other meanings related to it. Where you learned this 'internalized' idea is important to note, too.

And 'internalized sexism' is a convoluted jargon; there's no literal or actual thing in existence, cognitively. It is learned (and, honestly, shouldn't be taken as the word itself because it's like a slang word to refer to an attitude; it loosely applies but is emotionally and impressionistic in its impact)
Usually, people in authority (either a position or a social position, like media sources) are those that influence that a lot, over time.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #110889 on: May 25, 2017, 08:02:39 am »

The only thing the job market measures is your usefulness to the interests of wealthy people.  Seriously -- if a person/company hires you, they expect to get greater financial return from you than what the invest into you.  There are many, many things a person can do/be that are incredibly useful and valuable, but do not serve that specific purpose and are thus not measured as such by the job market.  Don't use it that way.

Grocery stores do not accept sunshine and happiness as legal tender.  Nor can my car use it as an energy source.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #110890 on: May 25, 2017, 08:03:05 am »

o_O
Is this how feminism has come in many areas? I've never noticed localized feelings way towards it this way (eg like, 'the patriarchy' is at fault overall), although that's only speaking from personal experience over all the years with people from different ideologies in my locality. Anyway.

Yes, but not just feminism.  In the USA, and internet in general, my impression is that over the last several years the most extreme misogynist and misandrist elements on both sides have taken over.  All I see on the subject anymore is hashtag and meme wars, where someone publicly shares a damning blanket statement based on some individual event or snarky one-liner that's gone viral as bait to a vitriolic ambush on anyone who dares to respond questioningly.  Feminist and anti-feminist both.  I've stopped taking the bait, and I see other people doing so less often over time as well.  Constructive voices are abandoning the subject.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110891 on: May 25, 2017, 08:12:05 am »

o_O

Yes, but not just feminism.  In the USA, and internet in general, my impression is that over the last several years the most extreme misogynist and misandrist elements on both sides have taken over.  All I see on the subject anymore is hashtag and meme wars, where someone publicly shares a damning blanket statement based on some individual event or snarky one-liner that's gone viral as bait to a vitriolic ambush on anyone who dares to respond questioningly.  Feminist and anti-feminist both.  I've stopped taking the bait, and I see other people doing so less often over time as well.  Constructive voices are abandoning the subject.

The ULTIMATE problem is that there is no text that has the ultimate say of how the sexes should be treated. Thus every political entity and person has their own opinion and often they just justify their current beliefs in the lens of feminism or egalitarianism.

Along with this we have cultural pushes and counter pushes at the same time without any clear idea of where to stop. "Women are sexualized" and "Women are infantilized" aren't contradictory but the way they are handled directly oppose eachother. In desexualizing women are we just recreating the same scenario of requiring them to be pure and chaste? By sexualizing them are we just turning them into objects that exist only for the male gender? Yet if women have sexualities what is acceptable for them? And since men are sexual beings, what is the appropriate way to pander to them? And if women can be gay, then in what way could we say this pandering is universal? And...

ALONG WITH THIS!!! we are living in an increasingly politically charged system where political tribalism and intellectual inbreeding are becoming a serious issue.

ALONG WITH FREEKEN THIS!!! Feminism is a business and emerging forms of media has pushed an unwanted political entity into the public consciousness.

ALONG WITH... You get the idea...

Basically everything is really complicated and not everything wrong with "Feminism" is even Feminism's fault but rather more endemic of our society.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #110892 on: May 25, 2017, 08:17:38 am »

Yeah, nothing I'm saying has to do with the concepts themselves.  It's about how the public dialogue about them has evolved, under the direction of certain people.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110893 on: May 25, 2017, 09:25:30 am »

Maybe I'm just maturing & seeing the world for how sad it really is, but it seems as if the world is getting sadder and our fights do seem to be escalating. Maybe it's the inclusion of more people on the internet, and I was not a responsible 11 year old steward of the internet.

Edit: now I feel sad for taking the blame because this will make other people sad & make them want to tell me to stop taking the blame ffuuuuuu- why can't things get better
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #110894 on: May 25, 2017, 12:48:49 pm »

This is nothing new. Every important issue gets really nasty - gay rights required riots, and race relations almost reached the point of full scale insurrection and civil war before King provided a rallying point for those seeking A Better Way. The only real difference with modern issues is that the echo chambers are a lot more visible, and that makes them look nastier.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 7391 7392 [7393] 7394 7395 ... 8156