Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7491 7492 [7493] 7494 7495 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8578295 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #112380 on: February 07, 2018, 07:56:45 pm »

Yea. Sounds like you should leave it be for a while longer IMO.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112381 on: February 07, 2018, 08:14:58 pm »

Have a less morose birthday, Yoink!

Don't read if you are a birthday boy who doesn't want to read something which will simultaneously shock and disgust him:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Well that makes identifying the psychopath easy.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112382 on: February 07, 2018, 08:22:33 pm »

Just goddamnit, I'm a ditzy fuck. My boss clearly scheduled me to go to a meeting, but I had stupidly misinterpreted the time it was supposed to be at, and I just didn't put 2 and 2 together to arrive at the correct conclusion. Now I'm left feeling stupid and embarrassed, like I'm just too stupid to live. Now everything in my life feels like it's symptomatic of my greater disease of stupidity. Just damnit, I want to just lie face first on the ground and go to sleep and forget all about it, but I have to actually go to work in a few hours.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #112383 on: February 07, 2018, 08:27:17 pm »

Take a break from it, then. Unless you have to draw.
Been taking a break for a while now, but if I don't draw I won't improve.

But if I draw I still won't improve either because I'm a lazy piece of shit who draw for fun instead of looking for ways to improve.

How are you not improving while you draw for fun?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #112384 on: February 07, 2018, 08:30:41 pm »

Take a break from it, then. Unless you have to draw.
Been taking a break for a while now, but if I don't draw I won't improve.

But if I draw I still won't improve either because I'm a lazy piece of shit who draw for fun instead of looking for ways to improve.

How are you not improving while you draw for fun?
Well, my art is still bad, so I didn't improve.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112385 on: February 07, 2018, 08:49:29 pm »

.... I don't think you grasp the meaning of "improve."

When someone hits one tennis ball instead of none, they do not say they're good at tennis. But they have improved. And next time they may hit two.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #112386 on: February 08, 2018, 01:48:06 am »

You get xp for any scribbling you do! May not seem like it to you, but it's hard to evaluate your own velocity without a reference frame.
And I like Cinder's drawings! They're cute! But if you don't want to draw them I guess that's okay too. [Sad]
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112387 on: February 08, 2018, 02:45:21 am »

Happy quarter-century day!
Happy birthday!

I hope this next year goes well.
Have a less morose birthday, Yoink!
Thanks guys! ^-^
Still not exactly much celebration happening, but my day has been rather nice. According to my calculations this year should be excellent - last year was already the best one of my adult life, I'm pretty sure. I can build on that, I reckon.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #112388 on: February 08, 2018, 06:51:56 am »

Oh look my hours got cut.  Again.  Fifth time this month.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #112389 on: February 08, 2018, 08:05:18 am »

You get xp for any scribbling you do! May not seem like it to you, but it's hard to evaluate your own velocity without a reference frame.
And I like Cinder's drawings! They're cute! But if you don't want to draw them I guess that's okay too. [Sad]
That's not how improving at art works.

Learning art is like... trying to understand something esoteric that only applies to you and nobody else can teach you.

Which is really hard and painful.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112390 on: February 08, 2018, 09:15:03 am »

Plus, it really only works if you enjoy it. You can practise drawing straight lines and have them precise, but that doesn't help much with learning your own style.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112391 on: February 08, 2018, 09:41:40 am »

-
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 09:55:50 am by JoshuaFH »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #112393 on: February 08, 2018, 10:07:32 am »

Oh Cinder you boob, you've gone and burned yourself out. :v
So anyways, let me tell you a few things: First of all, when you say you aren't improving, that is complete and utter bollocks, i see a very significant improvement during your thread from start to end (especially during the drawabox arc). It's a very gradual process, often so gradual that you can't see the progress yourself before you compare the present to 4 years ago. I know i often find myself looking for "breakpoints" in my own gallery, only to be disappointed that i can't really find any. It hurts sometimes, it truly does, and i get why you feel like you do. You just gotta remember, feelings aren't always in tune with reality, and that you are your own harshest critic. It's a delicate fucking balance between being okay with what you do, while still realizing that you can always learn. If you consider everything you draw flawless, you won't improve, but if you think it's all trash, you'll be disheartened. Consider both what you did well and what could be improved, and at the same time, allow yourself to have fun. Draw silly things that make you laugh and smile, and even if you believe you've failed miserably, you can have a giggle at how badly you think it went. Dark humour is the saviour of many a dark situations. :v

I know i might be preaching to the choir here, but with how much joy drawing has brought me, it saddens me to see others get disheartened about it, especially when they've gotten so far. I get that you're probably burnt out right now, and it's totally okay to take breaks, however long they may be. I also get that i may have been... Less than diligent at commenting on your stuff, and for that i am sorry, but know that i'll be happy to see you get back to it, whenever that may be.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #112394 on: February 08, 2018, 02:37:42 pm »

Learning the mechanics of art is like learning any other skill, there's nothing really special about it. Creativity is a whole different thing that's loosely connected to it but often times depends on a ton of other factors that aren't neccessarily obvious.

Now the thing about learning the technical aspects like prespective, color, composition and everything else is that they take a lot of time and effort, focused effort at that. Just doodling a random thing once a day is the equivalent of doing a single sit-up a day and then being disappointed that you never get abs. Gotta push those limits of both ability and knowledge, otherwise you never grow, nor do you ever learn where those limits lie.

Anyways, personal sad, tried to do a warmup portrait study that ended up tilting me beyond measure after some five or so attempts. But I will draw that goddamn face if it's the last thing I do, I will not be beaten by a 2d image of a pretty lady damn it!

Edit:
You want to see what it takes to have noticeable improvement? This guy: https://www.instagram.com/benjaminli35/
Look trough his posts during the last year and you'll see clear results of the hard work he's put in, day in, day out.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 07:20:50 pm by Jopax »
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG
Pages: 1 ... 7491 7492 [7493] 7494 7495 ... 8156