Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7528 7529 [7530] 7531 7532 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8572747 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #112935 on: April 16, 2018, 02:49:16 am »

R lee Ermey ist tot
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #112936 on: April 16, 2018, 03:38:27 am »

@misko, you sound do much like me that it's painful to read
Love, scriver~

blazing glory

« Reply #112937 on: April 16, 2018, 05:37:30 am »

I am a grumpy person, it's kind of a downer.

Also I might be DepressedTM, maybe.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 06:45:27 am by blazing glory »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #112938 on: April 16, 2018, 06:05:35 am »

It sounds like the real problem here is anxiety - you're constantly cripplingly afraid.  If your therapist hasn't suggested anti-anxiety medications and started you on calming techniques or cognitive behavior therapy style tactics, they're doing you a real disservice.
Anti-anxiety meds are the last thing you want. Last resort only.
Calming techniques, cognitive behaviour therapy, mindfullness are all things that could possibly help though.

Anti-anxiety meds like Xanax and its ilk are indeed to only be used as a last resort, as they can have some mean side effects and can be habit-forming.

However, there are some other options as well. If your heart doesn't have any major irregularities (just take an EKG beforehand to be on the safe side), then you can potentially reduce the panic response itself via beta blockers. Fewer side effects, and generally of less terrifying severity than those of benzos, and much lower risk of forming a habit or tolerance. That said, of course always listen to the doctors, and make sure to take beta blockers in accordance with prescription, and don't make sudden changes in the dosage.

I've been on blockers for a few years now, and it's personally helped me out by quite a bit. Less blowing of gaskets around stressful family members, more calm in large social gatherings, and I sleep better. But if I miss a couple doses, my resting heart rate goes over 100... So, yeah, don't miss doses.

Mindfulness therapy and calming techniques are of course the preferred solution, but it's sometimes useful with a helping hand. Again, listen to the professionals.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112939 on: April 16, 2018, 01:46:22 pm »

God, am I just both too aware and too unaware of the self-doubt lurking in my head. It's all at the same time pervasive, insidious, and subtle, so subtle that it causes me to doubt myself and fuck up even when I don't even realize I'm being influenced, but in hindsight it's always obvious. I just want to stop fucking up in such easy and obvious ways, just because I secondguess my own common sense or feeling artificially rushed to do things BECAUSE "REASONS" and then fucking up and making mistakes. All I did today was make a stupid mistake in a videogame, but I can't help but want to just beat myself up over it, every little thing I do wrong feels like some kind of betrayal of my own senses and a personal failure of my own character. This is why I can't do something like learn how to draw, or play games like Rhythm Heaven, because very second of it feels like an indictment of who I am.

And it's such an obviously artificial and baseless worry...

I called my old therapist, but I hung up before getting to her voice mail.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #112940 on: April 16, 2018, 06:15:16 pm »

One of our four chickens died :( My dad found her under a tree, her side all slashed open with a serious throat injury. He thinks it was a weasel.

We're not sure which one of the four she was, but we think that she was one we especially loved for being silly. She always had a goofy gait, especially when she started running, and had an especially puffy, afro-like tuft of feathers on top of her head. We're gonna miss her a lot.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112941 on: April 16, 2018, 08:33:50 pm »

It sounds like the real problem here is anxiety - you're constantly cripplingly afraid.  If your therapist hasn't suggested anti-anxiety medications and started you on calming techniques or cognitive behavior therapy style tactics, they're doing you a real disservice.
Calming techniques, cognitive behaviour therapy, mindfullness are all things that could possibly help though.

Anti-anxiety meds like Xanax and its ilk are indeed to only be used as a last resort, as they can have some mean side effects and can be habit-forming.

However, there are some other options as well. If your heart doesn't have any major irregularities (just take an EKG beforehand to be on the safe side), then you can potentially reduce the panic response itself via beta blockers. Fewer side effects, and generally of less terrifying severity than those of benzos, and much lower risk of forming a habit or tolerance. That said, of course always listen to the doctors, and make sure to take beta blockers in accordance with prescription, and don't make sudden changes in the dosage.

I've been on blockers for a few years now, and it's personally helped me out by quite a bit. Less blowing of gaskets around stressful family members, more calm in large social gatherings, and I sleep better. But if I miss a couple doses, my resting heart rate goes over 100... So, yeah, don't miss doses.

Mindfulness therapy and calming techniques are of course the preferred solution, but it's sometimes useful with a helping hand. Again, listen to the professionals.

Yup, there are lots of medications to handle various aspects of anxiety that aren't Xanax. Another option is blood pressure lowering medications, which I was on for a while.  And sometimes even Xanax is worth it, if the situation is serious enough.

I'm not sure why people reacted like I'd suggested licking roadkill when I just said that medication should be one thing to consider with his therapist.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112942 on: April 16, 2018, 08:39:38 pm »

It sounds like the real problem here is anxiety - you're constantly cripplingly afraid.
I've been diagnosed with GAD, so yes, I'd agree.
If your therapist hasn't suggested anti-anxiety medications and started you on calming techniques or cognitive behavior therapy style tactics, they're doing you a real disservice.
I'm on Lexapro currently, but that does little for my anxiety, and it's not intended to; it's primarily for depression (and it's hardly a silver bullet at that either, but anyway). I didn't respond to Wellbutrin, and I had a negative reaction to Prozac. I would discuss trying others, but I haven't really. I'm quite nervous when discussing medication with doctors.

How comfortable are you with the friends you have online and do things with?  How would you feel about meeting them in person?  Would it be different from having to get to know someone from scratch all face to face?
Hmm... I'd want to say that I'm more comfortable with people I know online, but I have a huge issue with... I don't know what to call it. I'd describe it as a problem where I can grow fairly comfortable in a certain circumstance, but find expanding beyond difficult. I'm even shy around people I know from here when I see them around the internet (i.e. not Bay12), despite the fact that there is zero reason for that. It's not an insurmountable problem on the internet, because there's no cost to "lurk moar", as the phrase goes, so I'm able to slowly get used to a place before I start involving myself... but there is a cost to doing that in real life.

I've recognized that having at least one friend is really valuable in terms of going to places and such; I'm far more comfortable in new places or around new people if someone I know is with me. This has led to the sort-of funny results when I was growing up where I'd be chaperoning my younger sister (who has Aspergers) around some event or activity or whatever, when in fact I'd probably be too shy to do a lot of those things myself if I were alone.

(Actually, there's a pretty funny dichotomy between my sister and I: she's very social and comfortable around others, but also very careless, socially unaware, and has gotten into trouble (and sometimes quite serious trouble) more times than I can count, while on the other hand I never got into trouble after I left middle school, but that was because I was (and am still, probably) hypersensitive to violating social norms of any kind.)

Depending on your answer, maybe you should try getting to know people online first who you are able to meet in person later.  Local interest groups or something might help you find people who are local that you can get to know online for a while and get comfortable with first, and then arrange a meet up in person.  If that works out, you can use that as a way to get more comfortable with being around people in person more generally, and that might lead into better meatspace interaction ability in the future.
This is still useful, thank you.

In addition to lurking online before meeting up in person, some spaces can provide safe in-person lurking. Going to a library, where I was around people but not interacting, was a halfway step for me.  Community centers were good for this also.  Fast food restaurants sometimes work, but are often too noisy to get comfortable.

It's really common to be more comfortable if you know someone at an event.  I made a point to try and work up to asking people to go with me to things, which helped a lot. The trick is to find events that will interest other people. I'm bad at guessing that.

I hear you about the social inertia problem.  I eventually decided the only way to handle it was to systematically build up experiences with common social situations. If I had a plan and a goal it was easier to force myself to spend a little time doing new things and going to new places.  The only way to get comfortable with new things was to build up comfort and familiarity with those things.  It was rough, and there's still some things I'm never going to do, but I can have 50% of a normal social life now and I'm OK with that.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 08:44:25 pm by Ghills »
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #112943 on: April 17, 2018, 09:37:15 am »

After 2000+ lines of code, a week of little to no sleep, and immense pain from grinding my teeth and headaches from stress, my groupmates gave up on the final project. One did fuck all all project (I couldn't get a hold of him to know what hes doing and he never showed up to class) and the other chose last minute to try and finish his game and he gave up after every bug. Even giving them my code that was 80% done (it just needed to look pretty) they didn't even touch it.

This doesn't mean I fail the class. Oh no. I have 3 classes and a fail in any of them drops my GPA low enough to get on academic dissmissal. And if my record of before is in effect still, this means I won't be able to go to school for FIVE. FUCKING. YEARS.

I let my teacher know of this last week that I'm worried about my group not pulling through, but I think he's done being merciful (he's helped me out all semester because I've been struggling with Object Oriented Programming).

I know for a fact the next five years are gonna be pure depression for me. The fact that I won't be able to work towards my dream of being a game developer until I'm 30 really kills me inside...
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #112944 on: April 17, 2018, 09:51:47 am »

In my university at least, if one (or more) members of a group don't participate, they get zero marks and the lecturer takes into consideration that you were working with fewer member when marking yours. Surely something similar will happen for you?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #112945 on: April 17, 2018, 10:54:35 am »

Medication should be the last resort when dealing with this kind of issues.
Can I ask why the powerful negative response to meds? I'm not judging, I'm just unclear as to whether this originates out of something specific. Kagus might have given the answer, but it still seems like an unusually unified reaction against meds.

For what it's worth, the one time I was on Prozac (which didn't help all that much... unless it did. There are some good reasons to be unsure as to what effect Prozac actually had on me, due to unusual circumstances at the time), I remember that my sleep was significantly improved. By like, a lot. Ever since I was a little kid, it's always taken me fucking forever to fall asleep: 30 minutes is the minimum, it only goes up from there. And that's 30 solid minutes of lying in bed, trying to trick my body into thinking its already asleep, doing literally nothing. But pretty much the only positive effect I did notice off of Prozac was that time was cut down dramatically, down to like a few minutes. It was amazing, and it's not something that pure sleep medicine has helped me with (note: I've only used over-the-counter stuff for sleep). So I mean, if for no other reason than that I'm open to the idea of some sort of medication.

Yup, there are lots of medications to handle various aspects of anxiety that aren't Xanax. Another option is blood pressure lowering medications, which I was on for a while.  And sometimes even Xanax is worth it, if the situation is serious enough.
I actually have low blood pressure as it is, funnily enough. I only really get into an actual panic on very, very rare occasions, as usually I'm not in situations that would provoke it. Most of the time my anxiety manifests as avoidance.

It's really common to be more comfortable if you know someone at an event.  I made a point to try and work up to asking people to go with me to things, which helped a lot. The trick is to find events that will interest other people. I'm bad at guessing that.
I am too, but I also don't ask people to go anywhere in the first place, so.
I hear you about the social inertia problem.  I eventually decided the only way to handle it was to systematically build up experiences with common social situations. If I had a plan and a goal it was easier to force myself to spend a little time doing new things and going to new places.  The only way to get comfortable with new things was to build up comfort and familiarity with those things.  It was rough, and there's still some things I'm never going to do, but I can have 50% of a normal social life now and I'm OK with that.
I worry about this a bit. It bothers how much so many of my problems boil down to catch-22 situations where the solution is to do something that is precisely what I have trouble doing. Still, thanks.

I let my teacher know of this last week that I'm worried about my group not pulling through, but I think he's done being merciful (he's helped me out all semester because I've been struggling with Object Oriented Programming).
But this isn't about mercy, this is clearly about group partners not pulling their weight. I can't imagine a teacher who assigns group projects doesn't have a system for handling a situation where some partners aren't doing their work.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #112946 on: April 17, 2018, 10:59:27 am »

So, I'm reading over my book manuscript and can't help but feel that everything I do is hopelessly derivative. *Sigh*

In the past I'd just blitz it and start again, but I now recognise that that approach leads to me never finishing anything.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #112947 on: April 17, 2018, 11:17:11 am »

Different meds have different side- and long-term effects. Prozac is pretty tame as far as that goes, same for most mainstream SSRIs. I used to take Prozac too, under a different name... only notable side effect for me was that, for the first few days of taking it, I'd blush like a country maiden for about an hour after popping the pill.

Xanax, on the other hand, is known for having some potentially serious and lasting effects. Benzodiazepines are tranquilizers, albeit "mild" ones. You can become reliant on it to function, and then your body develops a tolerance, meaning you need to take even more in order to achieve the same effect as before, which just exacerbates the problem.

Long-term usage has also reportedly resulted in periods of sedation lasting up to four days... Which can be somewhat counterintuitive when you're just trying to function like a normal human being. Among other things like mild short-term memory loss.

If you end up getting so hyper-activated that you literally need to get tranq'd, Xanax will do ya. I believe it's commonly prescribed for people with acute panic responses to uncommon stimuli, so it can be taken on and infrequent basis when necessary. Stuff like people with an intense phobia of flying, but who don't need to fly so often. But I'm only a doctor of loooove, pharmaceuticals aren't my specialty. So don't quote me on that.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #112948 on: April 17, 2018, 11:44:31 am »

In my university at least, if one (or more) members of a group don't participate, they get zero marks and the lecturer takes into consideration that you were working with fewer member when marking yours. Surely something similar will happen for you?
He said he had a lot to say in regards to whats going on. He wants a report from all groups who did what, so I clearly got the upper hand in that, but we still present tomorrow in front of 6 other teachers and our class. We have no demo or anything workable, one of my groupmates is trying to make it seem like hes able to get off scott-free becuase he's moping and saying he feels bad, and the other is trying to say how bad I am in our presentation (I have to edit it so he doesn't do that).

I'm glad that in the industry, that other devs will be competent, but for god sakes, this was a mistake trying to work with people who are ambitious but have no drive to do the work...
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112949 on: April 17, 2018, 11:51:31 am »

He said he had a lot to say in regards to whats going on. He wants a report from all groups who did what, so I clearly got the upper hand in that, but we still present tomorrow in front of 6 other teachers and our class. We have no demo or anything workable, one of my groupmates is trying to make it seem like hes able to get off scott-free becuase he's moping and saying he feels bad, and the other is trying to say how bad I am in our presentation (I have to edit it so he doesn't do that).

I'm glad that in the industry, that other devs will be competent, but for god sakes, this was a mistake trying to work with people who are ambitious but have no drive to do the work...

I think this is a contradiction, how can someone claim to be ambitious, but then also not work hard?

But don't worry, once you get into the industry, your coworkers won't be lazy at all. In fact, management is going to be working you all to death, making you sleep under your desk, working slave hours, and then crunch time starts! /dark humor

But even if you get screwed out of programmer college, there's nothing stopping you from following in the footsteps of our favorite Toady and becoming an independent game dev! All you have to do is devote the next *quickly checks calculator* rest of your life to your passion project! //dark humor
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 11:53:24 am by JoshuaFH »
Pages: 1 ... 7528 7529 [7530] 7531 7532 ... 8156