Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7553 7554 [7555] 7556 7557 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8577784 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #113310 on: June 08, 2018, 08:34:05 am »

R-R-R-ROAD TRIP!

Be sure to recruit some total stranger (or minor acquaintance) with a very different personality and goals to yours for maximum buddy/road movie potential.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113311 on: June 08, 2018, 08:36:08 am »

Would it be feasible to reach them via phone/internet?
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113312 on: June 08, 2018, 09:03:46 am »

I get the impression that he'd rather confront them about it in person.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #113313 on: June 08, 2018, 09:04:57 am »

As it happens I'm going there tommorow, but they're working the entire day.

But yes, I'm talking it over over the internet (which has some good sides, like screenshots).

It is, as expected a shitshow where there is no winner or good guy, just one or more people being shitlords and deciding it is perfectly fine to pull everyone around them into the shitpool of their own making.

This is why I hate people btw, because people, without fail are shit.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113314 on: June 08, 2018, 09:10:42 am »

Continuing my trend of depressing news updates...

Anthony Bourdain. Another statistic for the suicide rate people.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113315 on: June 08, 2018, 09:45:11 am »

Mr. Roboto there are jobs were people skills aren't required. Also, do you have any talent on the hobby, artisanship (is that a word?) side of things? Maybe, just maybe you are meant to work for youself instead of others?

I know it's hard but perhaps achieving that might give you the boost you need. One of my colleage pals hasn't make squak with the tittle, instead she's makig tons of money doing fingernails (painting and such).

I haven't made anything I'm proud of.  Most everything creative I make I end up hating.  I took creative writing on a lark in college but I never write on my own and can never come up with any sort of subject matter anyway.  Getting shit published is probably easier than ever but at the same time I'm sure my family will just tell me to get a real job.

My grandmother has been heavily pushing me to flip stuff on ebay or something.  In the grand scheme of things she just wants her bullshit out of her basement.  It might work but I have no hope these days.

Very few people actually earn a living from being creative, and even in that industry, lots of people are faking it and ripping off other ideas.

If creative isn't your thing then try to gain some more technical skills such as web development.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #113316 on: June 08, 2018, 09:53:37 am »

If creative isn't your thing then try to gain some more technical skills such as web development.

Can't afford to.  Even so, employers don't care about education.  They want work experience, which I don't have because no one will hire me.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113317 on: June 08, 2018, 10:24:05 am »

Can't afford to.  Even so, employers don't care about education.  They want work experience, which I don't have because no one will hire me.
Not in IT, if what I keep hearing from my acquaintances in the industry is true. They want skills, and they don't care where you got them from. Work through a textbook, take an online course or two, maybe start a pet project, and once you're reasonably confident you know something - just enough to know your way around - start applying for entry-level positions.
It's not a magical solution to all your life's problems, and you still need to learn the damn thing. But in today's economy it's as clear and hurdle-less a way to never wanting for employment as you can get.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #113318 on: June 08, 2018, 11:15:14 am »

I don't have the money for classes and textbooks.  They'd probably learn quickly I'm just a worthless fraud anyway.  Just like my previous jobs.

I just want to give up.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113319 on: June 08, 2018, 11:44:30 am »

It's all free, mate. You're on the internet. Libraries also still exist.
If you want to give up, that's your prerogative, but it's also the only real obstacle you're facing (and it's treatable).

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #113320 on: June 08, 2018, 11:59:28 am »

If you want to give up, that's your prerogative, but it's also the only real obstacle you're facing (and it's treatable).

Its not the only obstacle.  And treatment has been expensive, has been very difficult to actually find, is a trial-and-error long term strategy, and in all honesty has so far done nothing.  At this point they'd rather lock me in a padded cell and put me further into debt and un-hireability.  They want to pretend that will help at all.  I question if its even worth the next appointment if they're just going to ruin what's left to "save" me.

No amount of pills is going to give me a life worth anything anyway.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113321 on: June 08, 2018, 12:09:30 pm »

In addition, they may be using the wrong pills. I know it's a gamble to get the right one, so they may not be considering different medication options.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #113322 on: June 08, 2018, 12:44:21 pm »

If it's only pills they're trying out, then by God are they being stupid.

If they're recommending therapy, try it. If you're seeing a therapist, try a different one. People respond better to different therapists, in much the same way one person won't be friends with everyone.

I have a therapist but its too expensive to see her as often as I should.  The therapist has given up.  Even though I explain to her how half the advice would very realistically not work she insists I'm just brushing her off.  Like she wanted me to become an indie game developer, so I told her about all the expenses and requirements to actually make the game.  But apparently my realistic requirements are just unmotivated depression.  Some of the shit she told me I actually did, but I guess those no longer matter.  I also had therapy with a different doc back in high school that also did very little.

The psycologist is irreplaceable.  He's the only one in the area actually willing to help.  Either way he just increases the dose every time I see him.  His plan is to add a second pill rather than change what I have, because changing would take too long to have an effect.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

BerenErchamion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113323 on: June 11, 2018, 11:30:08 am »

It's all free, mate. You're on the internet. Libraries also still exist.

This is incredibly dangerous advice.  Humans are notoriously full of shit, and when trying to learn a new subject without the guidance of a credentialed expert in the field to guide you away from seductive bullshit and to call you out on your own shit, you're very likely to fall victim to any of the numerous cognitive biases that we all have to wrestle with when trying to make sense of the world.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #113324 on: June 11, 2018, 12:11:52 pm »

It would be dangerous advice if he had an alternative or if he wanted to, say, become an unlicensed doctor. Being a self-taught web developer... the worst that can happen is being bad at it.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 7553 7554 [7555] 7556 7557 ... 8156