Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7562 7563 [7564] 7565 7566 ... 8155

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8556683 times)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #113445 on: June 22, 2018, 11:06:24 am »

So I ended up on the er of a clinic because the worse wasn't over yet as I though....

The bill was of 43 millions banana republic bolivares.... Consider I earn 6 millions per month... Now I own my sister a lot of money and had to dip my hand on our paypal savings.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #113446 on: June 22, 2018, 12:09:21 pm »

If "the system" requires people to gain money so that they may exchange it for goods and services, "the system" kind of has some kind of obligation to not go "fuck you, you don't get to do the thing we say you have to".

I don't think any of this applies.
Love, scriver~

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113447 on: June 22, 2018, 01:05:18 pm »

So I ended up on the er of a clinic because the worse wasn't over yet as I though....

The bill was of 43 millions banana republic bolivares.... Consider I earn 6 millions per month... Now I own my sister a lot of money and had to dip my hand on our paypal savings.
Damn. :( Are you okay physically?
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113448 on: June 22, 2018, 03:55:04 pm »

Damn. :( Are you okay physically?
Sure, just morally beaten, and still ill but not as much as before, is apparently some waterborne virus product of a lack of some chemicals needed for the treatment in the water company. I stand at 80 kilos now.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #113449 on: June 22, 2018, 04:34:11 pm »

Basic logic is one of those classes that I think should be mandatory in schools. So many people are just ridiculously bad at it.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113450 on: June 22, 2018, 07:54:16 pm »

Yeah... This is pretty much the holy grail for the younger "exploit the system" crowd.
Uh, yeah... I'll admit to having felt pretty damn jealous of a certain friend when he managed to land himself in our equivalent of such a position last year.
Hell, I may have even used the very words "holy grail" to describe it on at least one occasion. I'm glad you will no longer be pressured to do things you do not feel capable of, though! Think of this as a chance to improve yourself, and work towards being able to do whatever it is you wish you were able to. :)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113451 on: June 22, 2018, 09:12:08 pm »

My niece is sick and my sister blames me for it, because it was me that got sick first. She has high fever and suffer from febrile convulsions so guess how mad is she at me...

It feels like fuck, I know I'm not really to blame and my sister really has issues but I do love that child like she was my daughter and is painful see her like that.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #113452 on: June 22, 2018, 09:54:51 pm »

Basic logic is one of those classes that I think should be mandatory in schools. So many people are just ridiculously bad at it.
Just get some philosophy into schools... the stuff that makes you question things and think critically.

Yes! At least some stuff about correct syllogisms - modus ponens, tollens, etc. - and how to recognize common fallacies. My high school had a class like that, and it was very useful. (I also loved it, so my reasons for supporting such a class may be slightly biased :).)

Not the kind of high minded shit like "but why are we here?"

I personally would enjoy a class that discussed that.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #113453 on: June 22, 2018, 09:56:27 pm »

Not the kind of high minded shit like "but why are we here?"

I personally would enjoy a class that discussed that.
For me, it would be the embodiment of boredom.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113454 on: June 22, 2018, 09:58:54 pm »

My niece is sick and my sister blames me for it, because it was me that got sick first. She has high fever and suffer from febrile convulsions so guess how mad is she at me...

It feels like fuck, I know I'm not really to blame and my sister really has issues but I do love that child like she was my daughter and is painful see her like that.

Hope she pulls through okay.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #113455 on: June 22, 2018, 10:37:49 pm »

I feel like real philosophy should be taught more in schools, not the kind of garbage that allow kids to be smug and edgy.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113456 on: June 22, 2018, 10:39:34 pm »

I feel like real philosophy should be taught more in schools, not the kind of garbage that allow kids to be smug and edgy.

Teach kids "real" philosophy, and they will use it to be smug and edgy.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113457 on: June 22, 2018, 10:56:57 pm »

Any attempt to teach "philosophy" to highschool students is a doomed project. It's just too vast and learning a little philosophy is probably worse than just going of "common sense".

Breaking it down however, teaching basic logic, ethics, probability and statistics would be more useful for basic "bullshit proofing". A highschool kid being able to point out that something is a "strawman" argument has some value whereas having them able to blindly quote assertions from Foucault and Derrida is of dubious value.

Having a general "Philosophy" class would be likely to just create a huge battlefield as various interest groups demand that their favorite philosophers are taught and rival philosophers are not taught. Look at the shitfight in England over the "Nietzsche society" at one of the colleges.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 11:05:39 pm by Reelya »

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #113458 on: June 22, 2018, 11:04:14 pm »

Isn't bickering the entire point of philosophy? Look at its history.

From the corpses of the slain rise the victors that establish useful sciences.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113459 on: June 22, 2018, 11:09:00 pm »

Isn't bickering the entire point of philosophy? Look at its history.

From the corpses of the slain rise the victors that establish useful sciences.

Teenagers aren't going to have the sense to utilize philosophical theories in any meaningful way. It would boil down to teaching everyone some shallow pop-philosophy overview of the major theory areas, and suddenly ever half-informed person will have poorly-educated "opinions" on the subject matter. That will in fact be worse than leaving it the few people who choose to study it in detail. The end result would just be to breed little "Ayn Rand fanatic" types all of whom glomp onto different theories they heard about in passing.

Consider how much damage shallow articles that spread a poor understanding of some subject area to a wide group of people can actually do to the subject area.

EDIT: And I'd comfortable predict that the end result of trying to teach an rough overview of philosophy to every highschool kid won't be some deeper enrichment of science or philosophy, it will just end with an entire generation of fuckwits going on about how science itself isn't real because all truths are relative.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 11:14:14 pm by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 7562 7563 [7564] 7565 7566 ... 8155