Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7563 7564 [7565] 7566 7567 ... 8153

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8474380 times)

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #113460 on: June 22, 2018, 11:16:12 pm »

Worse yet, dismissing everyone else's capacity to understand philosophy and/or science is the first and last thing they learn, so you end up with a whole lot of people convinced nobody else but them understands the truth!1!1

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113461 on: June 22, 2018, 11:17:01 pm »

Isn't bickering the entire point of philosophy? Look at its history.

From the corpses of the slain rise the victors that establish useful sciences.

Teenagers aren't going to have the sense to utilize philosophical theories in any meaningful way. It would boil down to teaching everyone some shallow pop-philosophy overview of the major theory areas, and suddenly ever half-informed person will have poorly-educated "opinions" on the subject matter. That will in fact be worse than leaving it the few people who choose to study it in detail. The end result would just be to breed little "Ayn Rand fanatic" types all of whom glomp onto different theories they heard about in passing.

Consider how much damage shallow articles that spread a poor understanding of some subject area to a wide group of people can actually do to the subject area.

EDIT: And I'd comfortable predict that the end result of trying to teach an rough overview of philosophy to every highschool kid won't be some deeper enrichment of science or philosophy, it will just end with an entire generation of fuckwits going on about how science itself isn't real because all truths are relative.
Oh god, a post modernist plague. The horror. :o

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113462 on: June 22, 2018, 11:21:26 pm »

Worse yet, dismissing everyone else's capacity to understand philosophy and/or science is the first and last thing they learn, so you end up with a whole lot of people convinced nobody else but them understands the truth!1!1

I'm not saying people can't understand, but what to teach them isn't a value-neutral process, the choice of what to teach them is a politicized choice, from the start.

Teaching a beginner's chemistry class for example has relatively few political or value judgements to make in terms of deciding what is appropriate, whereas you cannot say the same for teaching philosophy. Such a class would have very limited time to teach, and be hugely subjective in what is taught, and what outcomes we expect from it.

A single philosophy class at highschool, equivalent in duration to say learning algebra 101, would be effectively worse than nothing, since all you can do is skim over every major branch of philosophy, reducing each one down to soundbites, doing none of them any justice. People would only take away the most glib sound-bite version of each philosophy.

Rather than deepening discourse of the major philosophies, this will just cement tons of people with an opinion of each one based on next to no actual knowledge.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 11:31:12 pm by Reelya »

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #113463 on: June 23, 2018, 09:56:59 am »

I'm tired and I want to die
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113464 on: June 23, 2018, 12:07:09 pm »

I'm tired and I want to die
Me too. I'm destroyed, vomited so much my throat is sored and now I have a thorath infection on top of everything.

Now Mr. Roboto don't do anything stupid please. We'll both get ahead pal.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #113465 on: June 23, 2018, 12:24:38 pm »

Everything has only become more and more terrible.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113466 on: June 23, 2018, 12:40:43 pm »

Why?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #113467 on: June 23, 2018, 12:58:26 pm »

Why?

Every day I have someone yelling at me about how useless I am.  I've lost the motivation to do anything anymore, nothing I do is done right and everything just fails.  I have nothing to make money off of and no one is foolish enough to hire a garbage fire like me.  I barely have friends anymore, its just a matter of when people learn to hate me.  The only thing treatment has done is cost massive amounts of money, that I don't have anymore.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113468 on: June 23, 2018, 01:24:00 pm »

I think the people yelling at you about those things have caused you to attach far more importance to those things than is warranted.
What's good for you is your happiness, and if these toxic people in your life don't understand that, then they are your only real problem.   

You don't need a fucking job. You need a life. That is far more important, but fortunately it also requires far, far less in the way of experience, qualifications or even skill as a prerequisite. :)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #113469 on: June 23, 2018, 01:29:16 pm »

I have to live with this.  I have no income and cannot live on my own.  There is no choice.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #113470 on: June 23, 2018, 11:25:08 pm »

I have to live with this.  I have no income and cannot live on my own.  There is no choice.

Take survival as a challenge.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #113471 on: June 23, 2018, 11:30:11 pm »

Take survival as a challenge.

More like a game I lost at many many turns ago.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #113472 on: June 24, 2018, 12:20:15 am »

Unlike any game, life provides you with a staggeringly large number of options. Unless you're literally in chains, you haven't softlocked yourself yet.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #113473 on: June 24, 2018, 01:09:55 am »

What about how everything requires money?  What about how I've been fired from every job, or how barely anyone interviews anymore?  What about how I was forced into student loans only for the value of it minimized into uselessness?  What about how I have zero social skill and no friends, and soon to be no family?  Are none of these chains?

Or do I need a literal ball of lead attached to my leg, because every problem can be solved by someone going "It could be wooooooorse!".
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #113474 on: June 24, 2018, 01:40:32 am »

None of that means you're doomed. I understand that you have good reason to complain, and things being worse for other people doesn't change that. Life is pretty much just bullshit which you're often not in control of, and boils down to luck most of the time. But that means that sometimes your luck will be good, too.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.
Pages: 1 ... 7563 7564 [7565] 7566 7567 ... 8153