Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7565 7566 [7567] 7568 7569 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8612194 times)

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #113490 on: June 26, 2018, 06:33:09 am »

Came to the realization today that my mother is an abusive psychopath. After drugging me from the age of 12 and onwards(when every single one of the pills she gave me had a big, big 'black-box' warning from the FDA saying it was going to make me MORE suicidal) up until I chose to say fuck it, I'm not risking it one more time-If they call the police on me for something, I'm running. Like, that's it. When the cops come if they can't charge me with a crime and they take the side of my parents..which they always have, historically, then if I havn't actually committed a crime the opposite end of the spectrum is that they can't prosecute me for a crime, so they illegally put me on a 5150 hold. Except I'm not afforded due process. Amazing, and I really hope someone goes to jail for this stupid situation I've had to throw myself in.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #113491 on: June 26, 2018, 07:16:47 am »

Consider going to a hospital. I think you are unwell
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113492 on: June 26, 2018, 09:14:27 am »

x2, if you are American, running from the cops may be a... dangerous venture. Just saying. Also, it sounds like the medication your mom was giving you when you were younger was some sort of psychological one. Do you recall having a positive or negative reaction when you took it?
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113493 on: June 28, 2018, 11:59:21 am »

That's the most common fear in the world pal. For once, you can opt out to live in denial of your own mortality, accept it as part of the human condition, or hope scientific advances can keep pushing death farther and farther fast enough for you to never reach it (which is honestly a fantasy/denial anyway).

Don't know your age, I would guess you are young or something happening recently that made you ponder on death?

I started to fear death, truly fear it the first day I feel in love.

I started to dread death almost to an irrational point the day we knew our son existed.

I was petrified of death the day I held my son for the first time.

The curious thing is that I don't fear it for me, I fear for them, for the sorrow it would cause them and generally their fate if I'm gone or the irreparably hollow it would remain in my life if I had the tremendous misfortune of losing them. Never pondered much of the afterwards of it.

Ironically I came to accept death as part of the human condition long before thanks to the string of personal loses I have had. I know that a son comes to bury his father and for as painful as it, it's far more painful and unnatural the other way around.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 12:00:59 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #113494 on: June 28, 2018, 02:04:43 pm »

Spoiler: political (click to show/hide)
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113495 on: June 28, 2018, 07:20:17 pm »

I'm scared. Of... death, I guess. Rather, the nothingness or 'paradise' that is supposed to come after it.

This is relatively new. But I realized that there's a lot of feelings that I'm chasing, but... I don't want to be them, I want to...ride them. Do something that.... the world... no, I've never known before.

But being those feelings, if everything becomes that because that's what I spent my life chasing... That terrifies me. So do some other possibilities. And I don't wanna live scared. I don't think I can... But what choice would I have?

I think the question of what happens after death is an incredibly easy and incredibly difficult one to answer. After all, all I'm looking for in an answer is something that I like. But then I have to make myself believe it.
Have you tried religion? It's fairly good at alleviating that sort of thing. That dosen't mean go become super religions just find a comforting spirituality. There is a very good reason humans are spiritual and this is a major part of it. And the best part of it is that you get to consciously choose what you believe in which is a much truer belief then just inheriting it. That's my advice anyway.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #113496 on: June 28, 2018, 09:47:10 pm »

Hmm. Fear of death is probably healthy, I'd say. That doesn't mean that just because you fear death, you have to build your life around fear of death. Life is long (longer than many things) and humans are adaptable, so you can go and accomplish plenty of different things, and feel different things, and be different things. Don't be afraid of being "locked in" to any particular feeling, because you are more than just one feeling.

As for "what's supposed to happen after death", I'd advise you to not worry too hard about it. A lot of people treat it as the most important thing in the world, but you don't have to.
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #113497 on: June 28, 2018, 09:54:40 pm »

Or you could become super materialistic and hope that scientific advances could make you immortal. Like I did. It actually works! I ditched religion for that sort of thing.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #113498 on: June 28, 2018, 09:58:46 pm »

If you go that way, I just wish for you to not just hope, but work to make it reality. Every second closer you drag technological immortality closer will save lives, after all.

Though, really that just means putting the problem off. For a really damn long time, sure, but "until the stars die and nothing remains but super massive black holes" is not the same as "forever". Which is where "what comes after" inevitably comes up. In which case, I'll just say that "nothing" is a far more comforting concept than "nothingness". It's not like being trapped in a dark hole.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 10:02:02 pm by Egan_BW »
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113499 on: June 28, 2018, 11:01:41 pm »

I'm scared. Of... death, I guess. Rather, the nothingness or 'paradise' that is supposed to come after it.

This is relatively new. But I realized that there's a lot of feelings that I'm chasing, but... I don't want to be them, I want to...ride them. Do something that.... the world... no, I've never known before.

But being those feelings, if everything becomes that because that's what I spent my life chasing... That terrifies me. So do some other possibilities. And I don't wanna live scared. I don't think I can... But what choice would I have?

I think the question of what happens after death is an incredibly easy and incredibly difficult one to answer. After all, all I'm looking for in an answer is something that I like. But then I have to make myself believe it.

Don't worry, you'll get used to not existing pretty quickly. Permadeath is a PITA but it's not really scary.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113500 on: June 28, 2018, 11:03:30 pm »

I would imagine the human mind is not made for living past that many years anyway. Given the choice I would like to live between something along 400 years up to a couple, three thousand years tops, part of what make life what it is, is the fact that it eventually ends.

PD: I forgot the religious approach on my past post.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113501 on: June 28, 2018, 11:36:43 pm »

If you go that way, I just wish for you to not just hope, but work to make it reality. Every second closer you drag technological immortality closer will save lives, after all.

Though, really that just means putting the problem off. For a really damn long time, sure, but "until the stars die and nothing remains but super massive black holes" is not the same as "forever". Which is where "what comes after" inevitably comes up. In which case, I'll just say that "nothing" is a far more comforting concept than "nothingness". It's not like being trapped in a dark hole.
Well, I would rather live 10^100 years than 80. Technological utopia is worth abandoning spirituality. It might require changing the entire human body and a good part of the mind, but eh. Worth it.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 11:41:25 pm by KittyTac »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #113502 on: June 28, 2018, 11:40:20 pm »

The fuck do you want to live anywhere over regular lifespan for. Existence is so tedious
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113503 on: June 28, 2018, 11:41:57 pm »

The fuck do you want to live anywhere over regular lifespan for. Existence is so tedious
Better than cessation of existence, anyways. Anything is better than that.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 11:44:07 pm by KittyTac »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #113504 on: June 28, 2018, 11:47:28 pm »

Quote from: CEO Nwabudike Morgan, Alpha Centauri
I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even five hundred would be pretty nice.
Sounds nice, but it's completely outside our experience.  Living even 200 years is basically inconceivable.

Some sci-fi (Schlock Mercenary, El Goonish Shive) has immortal people "reset" periodically, storing lived experience as accessible "reference material".  Devoid of personal connection... Sadly, deleting most of the emotional context.

I feel like it's either that, or just discarding memories wholesale like the lotus-eaters, which is horrible in its own way.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 7565 7566 [7567] 7568 7569 ... 8156