Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7576 7577 [7578] 7579 7580 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8613615 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #113655 on: July 08, 2018, 10:56:54 am »

A lot of people don't even know who he is. I'd say the reason for that is when you look at his literary career it's mainly TV screenwriting and short stories. How many TV screenwriters, no matter how good, actually get remembered? I'd say Harlan Ellison is the exception mainly because he worked in a "geek" subfield, therefore he's remembered in that field.

He might have been a good screenwriter in sci-fi but he's not "literally the greatest screenwriter of all time". The actual greatest screenwriters, who even remembers who they are?

I read one of his stories in an anthology once, "I have no mouth but I must scream", but that was decades ago and it was an old book even then. It's not easy to come by his stories unless you go hunting down second-hand copies of 1960s sci-fi anthologies.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 11:07:46 am by Reelya »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113656 on: July 08, 2018, 11:04:13 am »

Didn't recognise the name and I don't believe I've actually read any of his work, but I did enjoy the bizarre film adaptation of A Boy and His Dog.
Who knows how much of its entertaining weirdness was carried over from the book, though.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113657 on: July 08, 2018, 11:31:47 am »

Got an ear infection, went to the doctor which is surprisingly still cheap (main reason why I went anyway). He say's that my immune system must be really fucked up for lack of proper nutrition as my weight loss attest.

He recommended the whole battery of tests including HIV and even some forms of antigen crap (something about cancer detectable in blood) just to be sure. I donated blood fairly recently and the tests for most of what he mentioned were negative, besides being monogamous an not doing IV drugs sharing needles (or at all for that matters) reassures me that I don't get any of that crap. But as I said he only recommended it, has it be anything serious like AIDS I would be in way worst shape already.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #113658 on: July 08, 2018, 11:52:06 am »

Harlan Ellison

Who

"I have no mouth but I must scream"

Oh that guy!

He also did the audio book for that story, as well as the voice acting for AM in the video game.  Amazing voice for those works.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #113659 on: July 08, 2018, 11:56:49 am »

As far as I've seen, the only good thing Ellison ever wrote was The City On The Edge Of Forever, and he claims that the Star Trek editors butchered it.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113660 on: July 08, 2018, 03:27:56 pm »

Tell friend that leaving the house feels like a chore and that after working all week pretending to get along with people, I want to take my single solitary day off and chill at home and not have to deal with people.  Happy to chat over IM with him, but don't want to go anywhere.  He claims he feels the same way.

An hour later he claims he needs to go to the store and needs me to drive him because family has his car. I ask if there is any other way, and he just pulls a guilt trip until I agree to drive him around town, pretending to be a normal sociable human being for a few hours because I know from past experience shopping with him he can't just go in, get his shit and get out, he needs to hmm and haa over every little thing for 5 minutes before buying it.

Bleh
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 03:29:45 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #113661 on: July 08, 2018, 05:26:02 pm »

Tell friend that leaving the house feels like a chore and that after working all week pretending to get along with people, I want to take my single solitary day off and chill at home and not have to deal with people.  Happy to chat over IM with him, but don't want to go anywhere.  He claims he feels the same way.

An hour later he claims he needs to go to the store and needs me to drive him because family has his car. I ask if there is any other way, and he just pulls a guilt trip until I agree to drive him around town, pretending to be a normal sociable human being for a few hours because I know from past experience shopping with him he can't just go in, get his shit and get out, he needs to hmm and haa over every little thing for 5 minutes before buying it.

Bleh

This post goes really well with your signature
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113662 on: July 08, 2018, 09:14:43 pm »

Admittedly one of the things he bought at the store was a new knife set because apparently his old cooking knife got bent.  Maybe he's replacing me.

(That said we did play hyrule warriors for a bit afterwards so it wasn't all bad I guess.)
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113663 on: July 09, 2018, 10:23:53 am »

Haiti... those people just can't get a break.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #113664 on: July 09, 2018, 11:13:51 am »

Had to euthanize my cat Saturday morning. I miss him but it needed to happen. We think he had a stroke, and he had a seizure in my arms while I was waiting for the veterinarian's office to open.

It was much, much harder to see him suffer than to let him go peacefully in my arms. He had a good 15 years of life.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #113665 on: July 09, 2018, 12:43:59 pm »

Steve Ditko is dead.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113666 on: July 09, 2018, 02:02:26 pm »

God, I love Harlan Ellison. I have an entire book of his short stories. Surprised that I didn't hear that he died.

Harlan Ellison

Who

"I have no mouth but I must scream"

Oh that guy!

He also did the audio book for that story, as well as the voice acting for AM in the video game.  Amazing voice for those works.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that story is the most famous thing he's ever written.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #113667 on: July 09, 2018, 08:01:40 pm »

The game is (was?) on sale at GOG for like 85% off, in case any of you want it.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #113668 on: July 10, 2018, 04:23:32 am »

I'm done with these fucking dogs. I give up. I used to think I was a dog person, that I "spoke the language". Clearly not the case with these little shits.

Completely fucking uncontrollable, extreme hyperactivation (aggressive) upon seeing any other dog-like creature on the street, the youngest has some serious OCD and the eldest is clinically fucking neurotic and barks at everything.

No amount of redirection over the past three years has had any effect on this behavior, and the stress of pulling double-time due to my girlfriend -their owner- giving zero shits and making no move to change this (or to change the youngest's state of not-having-had-his-second-vaccination-shots, which he's three years late for). Hell, it still doesn't really click for her that the eldest has serious antisocial behavior issues, since he "was perfectly socialized" when he was younger, according to her.

Her solution is to just "avoid possible situations". Well, "possible situations" means "can remotely detect a possible dog", which when you're walking your dog outside in an urban environment is remarkably difficult to avoid. And since I'm the one walking them most of the time, guess who has to deal with it and take the "bad owner blame" from everyone for how little control can be exerted over them? Yeah. Me.

And fuck taking them to the vet or trying to find some external help for the problem, oh no... That's embarrassing. Wouldn't want anything embarrassing to trigger her social anxiety which she definitely has and I definitely can't appreciate despite the fact that of the two of us, I'm the only one with that diagnosis.

I give up. I'm so on-edge trying to correct their behavior that I've ended up correcting behavior that was correct to begin with, and made things worse (if they even react at all, that is). And then there's the new-age studies saying that any form of negative reinforcement is to be completely avoided, which makes zero sense to me and shows that I'm clearly not as fluent in dog-talk as I used to think. So fuck it, I'm not trying anymore. I don't have the energy for this shit.

EDIT:
Spoiler: Dog tax for rant (click to show/hide)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113669 on: July 10, 2018, 04:46:41 am »

That looks too cute to be so stupid.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 7576 7577 [7578] 7579 7580 ... 8156