Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7608 7609 [7610] 7611 7612 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8572729 times)

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #114135 on: September 06, 2018, 05:38:29 pm »

Boy, that sounds familiar.  Or, well, not that specific problem, but painful experiences with group work is mighty familiar.  For me though it was usually just a case of people not doing their work, not active sabotage.

I was going to recount the tale of the time I met someone in a CS graduate program who didn't seem to understand much about how programming worked, or at least didn't understand that C and C++ weren't the same language or that files on her Windows workstation were not going to be accessible to the Linux instance running on her FPGA through fopen("C:\whatever"), but in fairness I think she was an EE undergrad.  I've got no idea how much programming EE undergrads have to learn, nor do I fully understand why the department kept bringing them into those programming heavy projects...

Well, my team is going to learn a fairly abrupt lesson in "when a team mate has been averaging four hours of sleep a night for weeks to work on this project and you suddenly pull the rug out from under them, they struggle to get up".

The really annoying part is that they're not even bad people per se, they're just neither particularly competent nor possessed of a development style that meshes well with my own. It also doesn't help that the two of them are good friends and I'm just an acquaintance, which means they tend to ignore me when it's convenient for them. It's a perfect storm of circumstances that makes me want to off either them or myself, and neither is constructive.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #114136 on: September 07, 2018, 01:46:25 am »

Didn't sleep last night. It all started with a cock-up where I dragged my feet picking up a new prescription and somehow managed to take my last evening pill in the morning, due to an acute case of cranial flatus. Then my GF fell asleep while staying up late to watch TV, so bedtime got pushed back even further than it should have. Then the eldest and most neurotic of the dogs spent the first 5 hours or so being an insufferable shithead and was either snooping around every nook and cranny looking for delicious hair to slurp up, or getting scared by ghosts in the bathroom. And every time I brought him back to the safe zone that is the bed (which is too high to hop up on by himself), my GF would shift slightly and spook him into hopping down from the bed again to try his luck with the poop specters. And like hell was he going to cooperate with being lifted up, because it's obviously only safe to beg on my girlfriend's side of the bed, so I'd have to lean over her in order to grab him. However, leaning over my GF is strictly verboten, because she's surrounded by a permanent aura of angst that starts her feet kicking in my general direction the moment I violate her federal airspace. And nets me a stern telling-off for disturbing her, much like the one I receive if I tell the dog that barking at darkness is racist.

Later, after the damn dog had made peace with the dead and settled into his crate, I tried whatever tricks I could to unwind and drift to sleep... And my brain was having absolutely none of that nonsense. Time for the Great Fuckups of History Slideshow!

Then the clock struck 05:58 and her alarms started activating. Some time around 06:45, she got up and started getting ready, with the accompanying Top Hits Mix radio playing. As is necessary, of course. I think the time was 7:10-15 or so when she left, was a bit too exhausted to poke my head out from under the pillow and confirm.

It's currently 8:36, and there's really no chance for me to get any worthwhile sleep in before my own alarm goes off at 10. Later on today I get to experience the joy of a meeting I've been dreading since Tuesday and that's had me riddled with anxiety (making my timing vis-a-vis relaxation pills all the better). Maybe I'll remember to fill out my prescription today. Hopefully.

Only punched myself in the head twice, and didn't completely break down sobbing. So there's that.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #114137 on: September 07, 2018, 08:27:11 am »

My parent's dog Debeau has severe cancer spread throughout his body. He probably won't make it to Christmas. I helped raise him from 4 weeks old.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #114138 on: September 07, 2018, 10:09:06 am »

:(
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114139 on: September 07, 2018, 12:17:48 pm »

My parent's dog Debeau has severe cancer spread throughout his body. He probably won't make it to Christmas. I helped raise him from 4 weeks old.
Crap... So sorry my friend.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114140 on: September 07, 2018, 12:21:42 pm »

Crap... So sorry my friend.

My wife lost her two dogs to that, I'm sorry
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114141 on: September 07, 2018, 12:42:09 pm »

I accidentally froze some mangoes in my minifridge.

I want to eat a goddam mango.

Oh my god frozen mangoes are delicious.

Top 10 Anime Plot Twists

It turns out if you freeze mangos then slow-thaw them in a fridge they will turns into what amounts to a water balloon filled with mango pulp.

I am now out of mangoes.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114142 on: September 07, 2018, 01:02:25 pm »

He's a smart doggo, half Lesser Bernese Mountain Dog and half Boxer. Looks like a very small bear. He's lived a good long life so I'm not super upset, just a little sad.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #114143 on: September 07, 2018, 01:08:24 pm »

Good god, that combination sounds like a bear operating at 120 rpm... I'm amazed any amount of intelligence managed to survive the sheer meat velocity.

It always hurts to say goodbye. I'm very sorry.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114144 on: September 07, 2018, 02:30:00 pm »

It's okay. He's a good doggo and all things end in time.
He's fucking with us.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114145 on: September 07, 2018, 05:09:52 pm »

Anyway, for the past few months I've felt a gradual but steady decline in my motivation, energy and drive to do anything that wasn't mandatory.  That seems to have gotten noticeably worse over just the past few weeks to the point that even semi-mandatory things are starting to feel optional, and it's starting to bother and worry me.
Man I know that feeling, is the main reason no progress has been made on my mods

EDIT:
My stomach is making noises comparable to crabsquids from Subnautica.
Mine did the SNES Kefka laugh, once. It is one of my fonder memories.
My stomach does not do these things
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 09:02:19 pm by scourge728 »

Adam Mantine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114146 on: September 11, 2018, 11:43:23 am »

The European Union's trying to censor the internet, what's the world coming to? :(

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2018/09/why-whole-world-should-be-arms-about-eus-looming-internet-catastrophe

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114147 on: September 11, 2018, 01:09:33 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 02:30:17 pm by dragdeler »
let

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #114148 on: September 11, 2018, 01:34:16 pm »

So, I kinda just wasted this day. Actually slept kinda-sorta-alright, I think. Was planning on making it in to Fountain House today, but got kinda fucked up in the head from thinking about it, which led to me really dragging my feet before eating breakfast, taking a long time to eat breakfast because it was terrible, and then basically not getting anything done until 3-4 in the afternoon, by which point the place had closed up shop for the day.

Now I've got that hanging over me, but I need to make an attempt for tomorrow. GF came home from work and was making herself some dinner when she asked me if I had an appointment tomorrow. I ended up having to yell because of course the best time to ask a question is when you're on the other side of a room divider and busy putting sausages into a hot pan and having oil spatter loudly. So I answered that I didn't have an appointment, but was planning on attempting to get out seeing as I fluffed up on doing it today. This was, of course, answered in a raised voice so she could hear me (on the second attempt) and also because I wasn't feeling particularly chipper about having been useless today. Judging from her reaction she didn't take very kindly to my tone, and just said that she was asking because it'd be nice to have some help around the apartment.

This most likely means she's pissed about me not pulling my weight around here, as tends to be a recurring issue (how much I actually do or do not do, particularly in relation to how much she does, is a matter for debate). So I've got that on me now, too. Also haven't taken my psychologist-recommended weekly pub trip yet this week, and she's never happy about me going off and doing that, so I'm not sure where I'm going to squeeze it in with the rest of the disappointment.

There is actually one specific task she asked me to do a fair time ago, but I... Have a really hard time bringing myself to do it. There's this wall-mounted coatrack that we use to keep the dogs' leashes on, and it's in a pretty goddamn sorry state because the wall it's in is just plaster, so the weight has caused the screws to rip themselves mostly out of the wall and it's hanging on for dear life at about 45 degrees tilt purely because of angular friction. As this is related to interior decorating, she is deeply offended by the current state of affairs. As such, she'd bought another coat rack (one that is infinitely superior as it's more in-line with her current design style trends). She asked me to hang it up.

"Where?"

"On the wall."

"But there's nothing to anchor it to, the wall's just plaster."

"Well there has to be something it can be screwed into!"

"No, there aren't any beams or anchor points, it's just plaster. Listen-" *I start tapping the wall to demonstrate, before quickly getting shut down by her as this conversation took place at about 11:30 at night and I was 'making a racket'"

Her: "Well, just put it up somewhere."

Me: "It'll rip itself out and fall down."

Her: "Just try.", and with that the conversation was over.

I am certainly tempted to put it up and let it fuck itself just to prove a point, but I'd also rather not put more holes (especially gory, plaster-leaking openings from stressed screws tearing themselves free from their bonds) in the wall than necessary.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114149 on: September 11, 2018, 01:43:15 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 02:30:10 pm by dragdeler »
let
Pages: 1 ... 7608 7609 [7610] 7611 7612 ... 8156