Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7611 7612 [7613] 7614 7615 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8595190 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #114180 on: September 14, 2018, 12:19:56 am »

Hehe, yeah I used to have fun with a human-powered cylindrical push mower.  More efficient than I expected, but still a lot of work.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #114181 on: September 14, 2018, 03:45:56 am »

Pretty sure it's just a thin drywall sheet and a hollow space on the inside, but I haven't measured it or seen the inside. Notably, it's the partition between the hallway and the bathroom, a wall which is just a few inches and appears to be supported more or less entirely by the doorframe. I'm a bit concerned about the downward force from hanging actual jackets on the thing managing to screw up the mounting even with anchors, but that might be unfounded.

I believe she bought a few of the hammer-in anchors. Don't recall the size.

I'm not sure if it applies to your situation, but there is a common practice to use aluminum bars as a frame within a drywall. They are usually spaced at about 60cm from each other and can be used to mount heavy objects.

For lighter objects you can just use, as other have already said, anchors that are specifically for drywall and they are usually shaped like this. Don't use the ones that look like this , they won't stay in the drywall.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #114182 on: September 14, 2018, 05:06:02 am »

Yeah, I did a check a couple days ago and saw that we have a fuckload of hammer-in anchors, but zero screw-ins. There's also legitimately only one place in the hallway I can even hang the damn thing, barring trying to drill holes in a fire door (which additionally wouldn't even work that well with how the door opens).

And despite having been bought a drill at some point, I don't seem to have any actual drill bits. There's a hole saw kit in the toolbox for some mysterious reason, but no standard bits. I don't even have an awl to make holes with.

Wall seems to be basic gypsum drywall, about 4" total thickness separating the bathroom from the hall. Can't say for certain that it's hollow on the inside, but it sounds like it.

And yeah, the entire zone I can use to hang the coat hook is less than 60cm across. There's fuckall backing on that side since it's just a gap between the bathroom door and the more solid wall of the apartment complex hallway.

In unrelated news, she spent a while trying to convince me that I needed some things from the store last night, because she (loudly and mournfully) wanted some milk chocolate, but she didn't want to go to the store herself. This was around 10pm, since shops close at 11.

She said "haha, kidding, just kidding" at the end of every sentence though, so it was just a joke, bro.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114183 on: September 14, 2018, 06:38:14 am »

Why mourn making a new friend? :D

I'm just saying, there's no need to focus on relationships when other good things exist, too.

The man(?) has a point.  Not a great one if you crave romantic affection, but a point. You have more than you had, but less than you hoped to have.  Why grieve what could've been when you can exalt in what is?  It's the point of my "go out and stop being such a loser" initiative - I meet lots of new friends, none of them want to cuddle long into the cold winter nights with me, but I've still gained.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #114184 on: September 14, 2018, 07:30:16 am »

Also, girl friends tend to have girl friends of their own. Sometimes even with relevant interests, what with them being friends and all.

Anyways, my sad for today was recently revealed to me... So, I was at Fountain House yesterday and helped out a bit with translating some documents from English to Norwegian. Pretty great fit for me, as far as activities go, as it lets me poke and prod at imperfect details and it involves communication and interpretation (plus I'm, y'know, kinda goody at Englishing sumtimes). Got lots of verbal support and gratitude, all that good shit, got encouraged to where I said I'd see about getting in there again tomorrow (now today).

Today I was getting ready to go back there. A few minutes later than yesterday, but it doesn't matter, they don't exactly have a strict time framework. I just tend to shoot for the space between the end of lunch break and the beginning of the afternoon meeting.

Aaand... Yeah. That didn't pan out so well. I don't even really know what happened. I'd gotten dressed and just needed to grab my phone and put the dogs in their kennel before I could head out the door and start walking. Instead I just sat down, held my head in my hands, and cried for a bit.

And that's been my day!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114185 on: September 14, 2018, 07:51:11 am »

Don't worry dude, happens to the best of us. ...And people other than me, as well! :P   

My current Sad: You know those memes (or image macros if you prefer) showing two images, "me wishing I got invited to things more"/"me when someone invites me to a thing", with expressions of sadness and panic respectively? That describes me way too accurately.   
I kinda accidentally agreed to go to something with a friend yesterday... the sort of thing I should probably enjoy, but my pre-anxiety is already gnawing away at my insides as I imagine the crushing waves of anxiety that will doubtless flood over me in such an unfamiliar social situation.
Also I have to wear weird clothes. Oh shit! I forgot to go to the bottleshop, I had planned on buying rum tonight so that I could drink a couple shots or so of it tomorrow, as I get ready... well, I suppose I'll just have to get up early and make the most of my day. *snrk*   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #114186 on: September 14, 2018, 09:09:20 am »

I often feel like an extrovert twisted into the shape of an introvert by happenstance. Beware my lonely howls.

Now you know why I fear the nights.
Love, scriver~

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #114187 on: September 14, 2018, 09:37:55 am »

Huh, what a coincidence. I've also been invited (since yesterday) to a party Saturday night that is themed "50's-80's" (whatever the fuck that's supposed to mean). I similarly have no appropriate clothing, nor do I know anyone there except for two "acquaintances" (one of whom invited me) that I only know through chatting with them when I had them as bartenders at the local pub.

It's 20+ peeps packed into an apartment up on the hill with a goal of "getting right and proper drunk". Eh.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #114188 on: September 14, 2018, 09:54:57 am »

Just wear a toga. Because they never specified what century.
Party like its AD 50
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #114189 on: September 14, 2018, 09:57:12 am »

Why mourn making a new friend? :D

I'm just saying, there's no need to focus on relationships when other good things exist, too.
The man(?) has a point.  Not a great one if you crave romantic affection, but a point. You have more than you had, but less than you hoped to have.  Why grieve what could've been when you can exalt in what is?
You know, people keep telling me this, and I keep believing them, and yet I never feel any better.

EDIT: Quotes are hard.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 10:21:33 am by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #114190 on: September 14, 2018, 10:06:13 am »

Party like its AD 50

That's fucking great. I'm coming over right now Kagus and we're hitting that party like the Romans hit Boudica at the Battle of Watling Street
Love, scriver~

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114191 on: September 14, 2018, 10:39:14 am »

Party like its AD 50

That's fucking great. I'm coming over right now Kagus and we're hitting that party like the Romans hit Boudica at the Battle of Watling Street

You're going to cut off the party's daughters' tits after having raped them?
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114192 on: September 14, 2018, 10:58:52 am »

Party like its AD 50

Sounds like a great night.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #114193 on: September 14, 2018, 04:36:19 pm »

Party like its AD 50

Sounds like a great night.
Remind me never to invite George_Chickens to a party.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #114194 on: September 14, 2018, 04:57:02 pm »

I dont think you could stop him if he got the urge
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.
Pages: 1 ... 7611 7612 [7613] 7614 7615 ... 8156