Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7665 7666 [7667] 7668 7669 ... 8153

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8471109 times)

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #114990 on: December 15, 2018, 04:39:16 am »

Real blood, anyway.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114991 on: December 15, 2018, 04:45:26 am »

@wierd: I read that as "magical robes/gowns" for a second there.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #114992 on: December 15, 2018, 04:59:22 am »

Btw fun fact: there's a non-lethal form of bull fighting which is traditional in the Basque Country, northern Spain and Southern France which is nonlethal to the bulls. Bull"fighters" in this spectacle don't actually fight the bulls but instead are supposed to dodge and leap over them. The fact that this variant is not popular among the ever-diminishing pool of bullfight fans kind of shows how much of a lie their "art" is; the really are in for the blood and little else.

You know I think my biggest problem is not even about killing a bull or not, but about making a public spectacle of slowly torturing one to death. There is something atavistic and almost animal-like  on enjoying this whole practice. It demeans the watchers.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 05:02:30 am by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #114993 on: December 15, 2018, 05:58:50 am »

Real blood, anyway.
Fake bloodsports are a viable substitute for real ones. I once started playing DF adventure mode as a cat with legendary skills and a mission to obliterate non-feline life.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114994 on: December 15, 2018, 06:00:27 am »

According to their site, DHL still does delivery to Venezuela.   There's an absurd list of things I *CANNOT* send via their service(1)... but it says nothing about packaged nonperishables.

(1)
Spoiler: wtf? marbles? (click to show/hide)

DHL will be more difficult to use, as I will have to drive to Wichita to use their distribution/delivery center, but I can still make it happen if that's what it takes.

Marbles, ball bearings and such can be used as bullets on makeshift weapons, also if you pay attention lots of things on the list are escape (plane tickets, credit cards)  or defense/offense (tasers, bulletproof vests). Don't know if that's standard for all countries but if not then there's a reason the gummit don't want us to have any of that.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #114995 on: December 15, 2018, 06:03:34 am »

Real blood, anyway.
Fake bloodsports are a viable substitute for real ones. I once started playing DF adventure mode as a cat with legendary skills and a mission to obliterate non-feline life.
I once climbed up a mountain peak and down the other side of the range with my backpack full of bloody vomit and vomitous blood.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #114996 on: December 15, 2018, 06:58:27 am »

Looking up cats on Wikipedia and...

"In medieval France, cats would be burnt alive as a form of entertainment. According to Norman Davies, the assembled people "shrieked with laughter as the animals, howling with pain, were singed, roasted, and finally carbonized"."
Read Darnton's Great Cat Massacre.

Some apprentices got sick of their employers, so when told to kill the cats they did. Viciously. And including their Master's wife's cat. They made a big joke of it.

When people are bored, they tend to get entertainment from wherever they can. And wherever they can tends to be fucking awful as it largely consists of public executions and bloodsport. You can still find shades of the latter in many "traditional customs", like bull fighting, fox hunting, and similar.
I kind of hope they are on the way out though. We're likely admist the most moral generations ever thanks to our broad spectrum of bloodless entertainmemt

The devil will find work for idle hands to do
Love, scriver~

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114997 on: December 15, 2018, 07:04:55 am »

Looking up cats on Wikipedia and...

"In medieval France, cats would be burnt alive as a form of entertainment. According to Norman Davies, the assembled people "shrieked with laughter as the animals, howling with pain, were singed, roasted, and finally carbonized"."
Read Darnton's Great Cat Massacre.

Some apprentices got sick of their employers, so when told to kill the cats they did. Viciously. And including their Master's wife's cat. They made a big joke of it.

When people are bored, they tend to get entertainment from wherever they can. And wherever they can tends to be fucking awful as it largely consists of public executions and bloodsport. You can still find shades of the latter in many "traditional customs", like bull fighting, fox hunting, and similar.
I kind of hope they are on the way out though. We're likely admist the most moral generations ever thanks to our broad spectrum of bloodless entertainmemt

The devil will find work for idle hands to do

Heresy grows from idleness!!!!
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114998 on: December 15, 2018, 07:20:34 am »

I'm thinking I'll quit my YMCA gym membership. I realized I'm throwing away something like 600 dollars a year just to barely use it, get frustrated with myself, make no progress, and then get depressed over it. 

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114999 on: December 15, 2018, 07:32:27 am »

I'm thinking I'll quit my YMCA gym membership. I realized I'm throwing away something like 600 dollars a year just to barely use it, get frustrated with myself, make no progress, and then get depressed over it.

Check the fine print.  For real.  Quitting a gym membership can be... painful.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115000 on: December 15, 2018, 09:49:49 am »

I suspect the typical gym's business model is in fact based on people who sign up then barely use the gym. It would certainly be much more profitable than a gym where 100% of the clients utilized the optimal amount of gym time.

Say, the typical gym member utilizes 15% of the possible time they are allowed to use the gym. That means they can sign up 6 times as many people as as a fully-utilized gym. So the gym seems good at the start, but has few incentives to keep you turning up like clockwork. Because that is what makes economic sense as the optimal gym from a business perspective.

However, and here's a bit of a conundrum: if someone made a really cool gym, where clients used a lot more time than the normal shitty gym experience, then they could have less clients per piece of equipment, therefore they would have to charge higher membership fees.

The smart thing here, is that if you're not a gym junkie, don't pay for a membership, because you're basically paying for someone else to get cheaper gym time.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 09:58:14 am by Reelya »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115001 on: December 15, 2018, 09:55:26 am »

It's more that they have a financial incentive to make quitting a bad experience, making the gym itself good is still important to attract new people and make it not worth going though the quitting process. But once someones trying to quit making it as hard as possible seems to be the way to do it.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115002 on: December 15, 2018, 01:06:52 pm »

Hmm. Now that I think of it, it was indeed rather odd when the gym needed me to sign the papers in my own blood while the clerk muttered some verses in Latin.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115003 on: December 15, 2018, 02:20:51 pm »

-snip-

« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 03:18:35 pm by dragdeler »
let

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115004 on: December 15, 2018, 04:08:44 pm »

Check the fine print.  For real.  Quitting a gym membership can be... painful.

I'm just torn over the idea of quitting. Quitting anything I guess. I don't want to feel like I'm giving up, and that was really probably the only place I'd go to get out of my apartment, outside of work. I'm in a psychological trap of my own creation it feels like.
Pages: 1 ... 7665 7666 [7667] 7668 7669 ... 8153