Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7667 7668 [7669] 7670 7671 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8596866 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #115020 on: December 15, 2018, 09:02:38 pm »

I beat RDR2.

Goddamn. Epilogue and all.

Red Dead Redemption1 may now be officially the most depressing game I've ever played.
I misread that as "I beat R2D2". And I was thinking "wait... I thought that was  a Western?"
It's a, uh... Space-western! Like Mayfly*!

*Firefly, because it died so soon.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115021 on: December 15, 2018, 09:03:56 pm »

I watched, like, half of the first episode of that and I must say I was thoroughly disappointed. What's all the fuss about?   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #115022 on: December 15, 2018, 09:04:49 pm »

I played a bit of the online mode at a friend's place. I powered through to level twelve so that I could buy myself a new gunbelt to differentiate myself from all the other mooks, and then I basically collapsed from exhaustion. 'Twas pretty fun, despite all the bugginess and frequently being disconnected.   
Wouldn't mind trying the story sometime too, I suppose.   

Poor R2D2. What did he do to... nevermind I'm pretty sure he had it coming.   

Yoink, I love ya mate, but online is poison. Single player is ambrosia. Try it.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #115023 on: December 15, 2018, 09:20:05 pm »

I played a bit of the online mode at a friend's place. I powered through to level twelve so that I could buy myself a new gunbelt to differentiate myself from all the other mooks, and then I basically collapsed from exhaustion. 'Twas pretty fun, despite all the bugginess and frequently being disconnected.   

That's the thing though, innit? Same with GTA... Rockstar's singleplayer is designed after the developers. The multiplayer is designed after the users.

I watched, like, half of the first episode of that and I must say I was thoroughly disappointed. What's all the fuss about?   

The characters, basically. The plots aren't massively intricate and the special effects of the series are pretty shoddy, especially early on, but the people are interesting and you feel like you get to know them on a personal level after a while. Touch more complex than "this is the logical one" and "this is the woman".

Personally, I didn't start with the series... I started with the movie, Serenity. Serenity's quite well put-together, so it helps patch up a lot of the failings of the series, while still providing an insight into the individuals on the crew. Having sparked an interest, I watched the series, which takes place chronologically before the movie. Then I watched the movie again, with the new background I had with the involved parties.

And that's when it hurts a bit more.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #115024 on: December 16, 2018, 03:55:44 am »

He knew all along who Darth Vader was and the place where Luck Skywalker was staying. He's one of the worst villains in the series alongside Obi Wan Kenobi!
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115025 on: December 16, 2018, 03:58:29 am »

How he manages to retain his memory after being shot, short-circuited, filled with viscous swamp goo, subjected to subzero temperatures for extended periods, etc--- is beyond me.

Now, blaming the droid for its erratic behavior after being subjected to all that shit just seems like poor form.  On the other hand, the droid whipping out that taser attachment and blasting off some zaps on people is more than enough justification to put some smack-down on its shiny metal ass. Just sayin.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 04:06:50 am by wierd »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #115026 on: December 16, 2018, 04:27:40 am »

That's the thing though, innit? Same with GTA... Rockstar's singleplayer is designed after the developers. The multiplayer is designed after the users.

The characters, basically. The plots aren't massively intricate and the special effects of the series are pretty shoddy, especially early on, but the people are interesting and you feel like you get to know them on a personal level after a while. Touch more complex than "this is the logical one" and "this is the woman".

Personally, I didn't start with the series... I started with the movie, Serenity. Serenity's quite well put-together, so it helps patch up a lot of the failings of the series, while still providing an insight into the individuals on the crew. Having sparked an interest, I watched the series, which takes place chronologically before the movie. Then I watched the movie again, with the new background I had with the involved parties.

And that's when it hurts a bit more.

The thing I liked the most about it was the atmosphere of the cast and crew. They just bounced so well off each other.

I loathe the movie though. Awful C-grade piece of shit. Lacks everything that made the series good.
Love, scriver~

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #115027 on: December 16, 2018, 04:47:57 am »

I agree. I didn't like the movie at all (couldnt even see it in one sitting). Series was brilliant though.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115028 on: December 16, 2018, 04:56:31 am »

I dunno.. I tried watching it, and the thing that always came back to my mind was "Jesus, how can the Federation be THIS ideologically motivated to the point of incompetence? Do they not realize that ruling with support of the public is many orders of magnitude easier than rule through force of subjugation, in the face of systemic poverty? Like, for real-- kidnapping high-profile GIFTED kids? For secret whack-a-doo research on telepathy? And with idiot doctors who think AMPUTATING the amygdilae of somebody is somehow more scientifically useful than using chemical suppression or local disruption with an implanted electrode array?  Fuck's sake..."

Also, "How does this companion chick not spread space herpes?"  and "Does the militant guy have some kind of Oedipus complex or something?" (The guy acted all gruff, but for all the world appeared to have some serious childhood developmental issues; his behavior was decidedly... child-like in many ways.)

Seriously.  I really did have a hard time watching.  The whole crew was a bundle of different neuroses put into a tin-can with an airtight lid.  About the only semi-sane one was the engineer girl, and she had a special brand of naive that was hard to take too.

That doesn't even cover the opening in the title credits. "The earth was used up"  WTF?! You cant "use up" a planet-- you CAN destroy its biosphere like a bunch of morons, but you cant "Use it up" !! 
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 05:12:14 am by wierd »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #115029 on: December 16, 2018, 05:33:36 am »

I dunno.. I tried watching it, and the thing that always came back to my mind was "Jesus, how can the Federation be THIS ideologically motivated to the point of incompetence? Do they not realize that ruling with support of the public is many orders of magnitude easier than rule through force of subjugation, in the face of systemic poverty? Like, for real-- kidnapping high-profile GIFTED kids? For secret whack-a-doo research on telepathy? And with idiot doctors who think AMPUTATING the amygdilae of somebody is somehow more scientifically useful than using chemical suppression or local disruption with an implanted electrode array?  Fuck's sake..."

But that's the thing, that's the movie not the tv series.

Also, "How does this companion chick not spread space herpes?" 
Condoms?  Then again apparently the writers had some weird ideas about the "companion" chick having some terminal disease...
That doesn't even cover the opening in the title credits. "The earth was used up"  WTF?! You cant "use up" a planet-- you CAN destroy its biosphere like a bunch of morons, but you cant "Use it up" !!
Well, technically you CAN use it up. Eg to make a megastructure
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 05:35:48 am by ChairmanPoo »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115030 on: December 16, 2018, 05:35:38 am »

Now, now, that's semantics. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115031 on: December 16, 2018, 05:45:17 am »

Oh so much heresy against firefly!

Fun fact: Lord Baals ringtone is Ballad of Serenity.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 05:46:48 am by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115032 on: December 16, 2018, 05:50:54 am »

But that's the thing, that's the movie not the tv series.

Also, "How does this companion chick not spread space herpes?" 
Condoms?  Then again apparently the writers had some weird ideas about the "companion" chick having some terminal disease...
Well, technically you CAN use it up. Eg to make a megastructure

WRONG!  There is a 3 episode subplot about the doctor getting his sister, sneaking her into a hospital for a brain scan, learning she has had her amygdalae removed, and then trying to treat her with medication while she totally gets psychic vibes on a marauder ship.

IN THE SERIES.  Don't make me dig out episode numbers!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115033 on: December 16, 2018, 06:10:59 am »

Since the solar system in Firefly was seeded by colony ships, we can assume they decided not to being herpes with them, through screening. And insufficient time has elapsed to evolve new space herpes.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115034 on: December 16, 2018, 06:17:03 am »

The fact the hooker had a mortal disease doesn't mean it has to be a std. I guess prostitutes can get radiation poisoning(given the setting), cancer, degenerative hereditary diseases and other things too.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!
Pages: 1 ... 7667 7668 [7669] 7670 7671 ... 8156