Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7668 7669 [7670] 7671 7672 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8573243 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #115035 on: December 16, 2018, 06:53:51 am »

Admittedly, I've only seen a handful of episodes

admittedly, there's only a handful of episodes :P
Love, scriver~

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115036 on: December 16, 2018, 06:57:13 am »

Sorry, I just found the characters to be very one-dimensional/shallow.  Malcom is about the most "human" in the series.  Granted, I have met many actual people who I felt were equally shallow,  but between you and me, I wouldn't want to stay on their ship with them, and if I was forced to, I would spend my time elbow deep in engine with the engineer girl.

As for the "resource depletion" angle;   I remind you how very primitive many of the planets in the system are.  Most are 1800s level of technological advancement, which would be a massive contraction from what they would have landed with, and this is because of the lack of resource allocation and development assistance from the federation.  Granted, the backdrop is that many of these worlds were independent just 15 years prior, so it makes sense that they would have some degree of backward drift vis-a-vis the federation, but not THAT significantly.   Especially when there are thriving industries on those same planets. (For example, the ceramic raw material industry.)   

We are also talking about a series that actively terraformed an entire star system.  That is not a small undertaking.  If you have the technology to make alien worlds habitable, you have the technology to fix the earth.   I get that it is handwavium to set the scene, but for god's sake, Buck Rogers in the 24th century depicted "what happened to the earth" better than this series did.  What gets my choad in a snarl the most though, is the choice of verbiage there. "It got used up; so we moved!"  which implies "So we can use them up too, because we did not learn our lesson!" Better would have been "We destroyed the earth, and had to move" or something similar-- something that acknowledges that the action was catastrophically wasteful and shortsighted. But no.  "It's perfectly normal human behavior to just trash up a planet, then move."

Meh.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115037 on: December 16, 2018, 07:15:40 am »

I always thought they developed the terraforming tech after they got there or en route. Maybe earth was so fucked up it wasn't worthy of re-terraforming?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #115038 on: December 16, 2018, 07:19:03 am »

"It's perfectly normal human behavior to just trash up a planet, then move."
Well...

I mean...

Anyways, I don't think Rick and Morty is funny or intelligent, so to each their own smokes.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115039 on: December 16, 2018, 07:27:57 am »

But... but... I thought you were an intellectual! :-[   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115040 on: December 16, 2018, 07:30:16 am »

Rick and Morty are about as intellectual as The Simpsons are a documentary about modern american life.

Futurama is much more highbrow. :P

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115041 on: December 16, 2018, 07:41:44 am »

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 03:18:28 pm by dragdeler »
let

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #115042 on: December 16, 2018, 08:03:42 am »

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Rick and Morty.

I'm a few points shy of Mensa membership, so I never really had a chance... I'm guessing only Triple-9ers have the intellectual capacity to appreciate the show's nuance.

I'm szechuan Pickle Rick with all my shit together.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115043 on: December 16, 2018, 08:59:04 am »

Where is that idea coming from that rick morty is something intellectual? it's just the next logical boundary infringment after the simpsons and south park (if leave out the gore stuff like that satanic dog and dethlock etc)

well produced, innovative and with the times, just because it's ingenius doesn't it's insabely deep... it's just a stronger fix
It's been a meme for a while now... near as I can tell, Rick/Dan Harmon started spouting off vaguely nihilistic ramblings and vast legions of angsty (man)children, disaffected nerds and nerd-like folks began hailing him/them as gods. I do enjoy the show, just not as much as some. Also I'm pretty sure the later season(s) sucked but I haven't watched them in a while.

While we're discussing animated entertainment, though, I wanna throw out a recommendation for Final Space. That was a fun watch, I am very much looking forward to seeing another season sometime. :)   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #115044 on: December 16, 2018, 09:14:57 am »

The fact the hooker had a mortal disease doesn't mean it has to be a std. I guess prostitutes can get radiation poisoning(given the setting), cancer, degenerative hereditary diseases and other things too.
Wrong! It was totally infectious!

Even worse, the plan was if she stopped taking her antisickness drug anyone who has sex with her drops dead. So basically, yes: space aids turned her festering genitalia into a WMD. Ponder that for a bit

In a 2012 Science Channel special about “Firefly,” series writer and executive producer Tim Minnear explained

She had this magic syringe. She would take this drug. And if she were, for instance, raped, the rapist would die a horrible death. The story was that she gets kidnapped by Reavers and when Mal finally got to the ship to save her from the Reavers, he gets on the Reaver ship and all the Reavers are dead. Which would suggest a kind of really bad assault. At the end of the episode, he comes in after she's been horribly brutalized,
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115045 on: December 16, 2018, 10:06:55 am »

The fact the hooker had a mortal disease doesn't mean it has to be a std. I guess prostitutes can get radiation poisoning(given the setting), cancer, degenerative hereditary diseases and other things too.
Wrong! It was totally infectious!

Even worse, the plan was if she stopped taking her antisickness drug anyone who has sex with her drops dead. So basically, yes: space aids turned her festering genitalia into a WMD. Ponder that for a bit

In a 2012 Science Channel special about “Firefly,” series writer and executive producer Tim Minnear explained

She had this magic syringe. She would take this drug. And if she were, for instance, raped, the rapist would die a horrible death. The story was that she gets kidnapped by Reavers and when Mal finally got to the ship to save her from the Reavers, he gets on the Reaver ship and all the Reavers are dead. Which would suggest a kind of really bad assault. At the end of the episode, he comes in after she's been horribly brutalized,

Nop, in fact is a speciall drug that would make her privates poisonous or something so anyone that raped her died horribly afterwards (I guess she'll die too, or maybe not, is a future-space-magic-drug). The syringe didn't have to do with her illness.

A subplot for Inara was hinted at throughout the series. Joss Whedon explained in the DVD audio commentary for the pilot episode that the syringe Inara takes out during the Reaver encounter is not for suicide. Second, when the ship is disabled in the episode "Out of Gas", Simon said, "I don't want to die [on this ship]", to which Inara replied, "I don't want to die at all." In "Heart of Gold", Nandi remarks that she did not age at all. The secret was apparently revealed in a panel at 2008's DragonCon; Morena Baccarin confirmed that Inara was dying of a terminal illness. This was later also confirmed in Firefly: Browncoats Unite, a Firefly 10th Anniversary Special aired on Science Channel in November 2012. In the same Special, show writer Tim Minear explained Inara's mysterious syringe, saying that it contained a drug that would cause the death of her rapists in case she were to be raped. Minear also said that if the show hadn't been cancelled, a future episode might have involved Inara being abducted and raped by numerous Reavers, all of whom are eventually found dead (due to the effects of the drug) by Mal.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 10:09:42 am by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115046 on: December 16, 2018, 11:07:51 am »

You know, perhaps noone cares about the life and times of Youtubers, but I'm crushed that the Super Best Friends are breaking up.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115047 on: December 16, 2018, 01:34:03 pm »

Nop, in fact is a speciall drug that would make her privates poisonous or something so anyone that raped her died horribly afterwards (I guess she'll die too, or maybe not, is a future-space-magic-drug).
Man, wouldn't she be bummed if they used condoms.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115048 on: December 16, 2018, 02:21:45 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 03:18:16 pm by dragdeler »
let

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115049 on: December 16, 2018, 02:24:24 pm »

Nop, in fact is a speciall drug that would make her privates poisonous or something so anyone that raped her died horribly afterwards (I guess she'll die too, or maybe not, is a future-space-magic-drug).
Man, wouldn't she be bummed if they used condoms.
Hahahaha sure  I guess. Though she was shown willing to.use it in case of reavers, which I highly doubt would use any kind of hygiene or birth control method.
Pages: 1 ... 7668 7669 [7670] 7671 7672 ... 8156