Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7700 7701 [7702] 7703 7704 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8572739 times)

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #115515 on: March 02, 2019, 10:39:48 am »

I'm pretty sure every so often it just spins a wheel and whatever it lands on it decides to correct it to that word, it doesn't always do this, but just sometimes

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #115516 on: March 02, 2019, 10:45:09 am »

Poor/limited-context autocorrect is the reason why I disable suggestions and corrections unless I'm not sure about the spelling of something.
My effective WPM is poor, but that's the price of not having to deal with it.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #115517 on: March 02, 2019, 12:31:15 pm »

The autocorrect on my Fire tablet has a tendency to change correctly spelled words that are in the dictionary to something else because it decides that I probably wanted to use a different world.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115518 on: March 02, 2019, 09:19:42 pm »

different world.
Like "world," perhaps?
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #115519 on: March 03, 2019, 05:42:14 am »

I am incredibly annoyed with my phone's autocomplete/correct. Not only does it like to change completely viable words just because it thinks something else would fit better in that sentence ("has" turned into "had" for no reason, every single "its" gets turned into "it's", etc.), but it's also set up for this kind of "swiping" text where you drag a finger across the keyboard and it predicts what you wanted to type. Now, it's actually pretty decent at typing words from the swipe, but that method of typing is just so goddamn slow and clunky that I don't want anything to do with it.

But it can't be turned off.

So occasionally while typing, I'll tap a key the wrong way and it'll interpret it as a mini-swipe and just plant a "hi" or "eels" in the middle of a word I was trying to type out. Other times something exceptionally weird will happen and I'll start typing a word, then the phone will "forget" that the first few letters were involved in the typing. It will still suggest completed words, but if I actually tell it to complete the typing with the full word, like "they", it'll end up printing "ththey" because it ignored the first couple letters, and then it gripes at me because "ththey" isn't a word.

Additionally? This dictionary was missing a lot of perfectly reasonable English words that I had to teach it, but there's a fuckload (not one of the "perfectly reasonable" words I meant) of text smileys and netcronyms like lol and rofl, and it fucking has support for camel case typing.

So iF I sOmEhOw eNd Up WiTh a WoRd ThAt HaS aN aCcIdEnTaL uPpEr-CaSe LeTtEr In It, ThE fUcKiNg ThInG wIlL fIgHt Me WhEn I tRy To FiX iT wItH pRoPeR capitalization because I wrote it that way the first time so obviously that's the way I wanted it to be. and I still get autocomplete suggestions like "ThAt" when typing like a normal person, but if I remove it from suggestions it deletes the word "that" entirely.

Fuck this phone. Huawei espionage be damned, this is the real reason they need to be brought to justice.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #115520 on: March 03, 2019, 05:52:01 am »

Huawei? Damn, I thought their refusal to give out bootloader unlock codes in the name of a "better user experience" were the most of their user experience problems.
Also, does there not exist a way to install a better third-party keyboard app? Gboard is what I use, but frankly, that's just because it provides a consistent, unchanging experience.
Also, swipe typing is horrible, and the only swipe-type gesture I've enabled is swiping across the spacebar to move the cursor, because apparently there's not enough space to just put in two cursor keys to do the same thing.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 05:55:24 am by methylatedspirit »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115521 on: March 03, 2019, 06:19:11 pm »

Hoo boy, that does sound annoying. Also I wasn't familiar with the term "camel case" but that stuff annoys the shit out of me as well. My phone's always tryna spell Youtube with a capital T, for example.

I will second the suggestion of downloading a new keyboard app, though. I use Swiftkey (another camel case attempt), it's good for swiping or typing.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #115522 on: March 03, 2019, 07:35:32 pm »

I have a Meizu Chinese phone. Since English is basically an add-on, there's no autocorrect or any of that bullshit. At first I was a little disappointed, but now I've realized I actually type faster without any of that shit to fight against. Auto-correct slows you down, more than anything, I think.

Plus I have a whole extra keyboard of these:
(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ (☆^O^☆) (ಡωಡ)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115523 on: March 05, 2019, 10:56:07 pm »

I shouldn't have eaten that gross-ass potato cake.
Now I seem to have food poisoning, with the primary symptom being diarrhoea.
As if that wasn't bad enough, I am afflicted with said ailment at work, in the dingy little dunny that we have to rely on here. Dx
At least there are only two hours and five minutes before I'm out of here...

Edit: I've survived. Barely.
Please spare some thoughts and prayers for my bunghole.

Edit2: story time!
Oh good gods. Well, at least now no-one can accuse me of faking sick to get out of work early*.

After asking my supervisor if I could leave early, since I still felt awful from my unwise meal choice earlier (he kindly agreed), I was faced with a long wait in which not one but two buses should have appeared. It was intolerable. It was torturous. I'm there feeling sick and feeble, wracked with nausea and practically shivering in the cold wind, which seemed to aggravate things for some reason.

I began to have doubts, as this interminable wait dragged on and on, as to whether a bus was really the best place for me to be in this condition. Visions of myself lurching forward and barfing over the better part of one of those trusty municipal people-movers - not to mention its horrified occupants - sprang unbidden to my mind.

"Nonsense," I said to I, "you're just going to make us sick with such imaginings. Let's just think of something else and ignore it 'til it passes."

You can hardly blame myself, that approach has worked many times in the past. Thinking about puking only makes you feel more like puking.
You know how when you have that sort of nausea, it feels as though vomit is imminent, but you still feel certain deep down that it's not really going to happen, that you're just feeling a bit under the weather and your body is overreacting?
This was one of those times.

Until it wasn't.

After so long waiting with still no sign of the mechanical chariot due to whisk me away to the comfort of home, there came a wave of nausea that didn't pass.
"This can't be happening," I thought, refusing to believe it even as I stumbled hesitantly away from the bus stop, across the small service road separating it from my workplace and onto the nature strip.
I still held out hope that I would just chill here for a bit until the feeling passed, with some shrubs and distance separating me from the eyes watching from passing cars.
Abruptly, though, my objective changed - it was really happening! - from cowering behind the bushes to trying to direct the inevitable torrent of bilious gut-chutney into them.

Alas, I didn't quite make it. As the floodgates opened and I began to spasm as my vile cargo made its departure, I flung a hand upwards to steady myself on the roadsign I stood behind, even as my other hand drew upon some long-held muscle memory to claw my poor hair out of the line of fire.

The bulk of my half-digested deposit wound up on the grass rather than in the bushes, I'm afraid to say; it also bears mentioning that the fateful site of the victorious vom was within plain sight of the front doors of work.
Once I had recovered my senses I glanced in that direction and saw at least a couple of folks, my understanding supervisor included, milling about the entrance.
That was all I saw before a fresh bout of retching overtook me, finishing what was begun.
I cleaned myself up as best I could (amazingly enough, I seemingly managed to not get a drop on me) and returned to the bus stop. Amazingly enough, a bus hadn't gone whilst I was occupied (I had expected one to go sailing past just as I recovered, to add, well, more insult to injury) and the same guy was still also waiting, presumably having borne witness to my ordeal.

I tried to crack out some gallows humour of "at least I didn't miss my bus," but my throat was parched from the amount of bilious slime that had been so recently expelled through it and my voice was somewhere between a croak and a squeak. There was no response.

Oh well.
At least no-one can abuse accuse me of faking sick to get out of work early.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 01:35:00 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #115524 on: March 06, 2019, 01:39:43 am »

Today is a weird source-less depression day. Normally I'd just hang in there until I get home and then paint it all out, but I'll be lucky if I'm home before six today. Ugh.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #115525 on: March 06, 2019, 06:22:13 am »

I'm replying to shitty political posts on Facebook and I'm not sure why.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #115526 on: March 06, 2019, 06:41:27 am »

Can you give an example of these shitty political posts? I need something to confuse myself with.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #115527 on: March 06, 2019, 06:42:05 am »

I'm replying to shitty political posts on Facebook and I'm not sure why.
It's the lizard virus.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #115528 on: March 06, 2019, 06:45:17 am »

Can you give an example of these shitty political posts? I need something to confuse myself with.

"Any congressional member who refuses to put their hand on a BIBLE and swear to uphold the Constitution should be impeached!"
Obvious 1st amendment and Article VI Clause 3 conflicts there.
"We're one election from: gun confiscation, Sharia law, communism, mandatory abortions, etc!"
So many points of failure here. Like, no no no no, in order. Not even close.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #115529 on: March 06, 2019, 06:55:38 am »

The moment I read "BIBLE", in all-caps, I knew that something was very off.
Pages: 1 ... 7700 7701 [7702] 7703 7704 ... 8156