Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7724 7725 [7726] 7727 7728 ... 8155

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8552097 times)

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #115875 on: April 20, 2019, 07:59:22 pm »

I feel quite hollow since the events last week. I dont know what I'm doing, and I feel very much alone
Please feel free to hang out here. I know we're just internet folk, but you're a valued forumite here.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #115876 on: April 20, 2019, 10:15:29 pm »

Always remember that the faceless mob in the forum wishes for you to be happy.
We are content with your interaction. We appreciate your presence.
We are rooting for your success, even if not physically present.
In a time before time, I had a name.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #115877 on: April 21, 2019, 06:33:15 am »

Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115878 on: April 21, 2019, 08:43:54 am »

Reading this Fortress is for "Everyone" post that attacks men makes me sad. https://medium.com/the-fortress-is-for-everyone/community-generation-e77d90081232 They call Toady and friends "boys". Also, I didn't know you had to have a specific value system and world view to contribute to Dwarf Fortress discussion.

One of the authors is in fact Zach's wife. "The boys" here means the Adams brothers. Also, consider that the co-author being Zach's wife would probably be on close terms with the parents of Tarn and Zach, thus referring to them as "the boys" in an intimate familial sense would make perfect sense.

... also, i couldn't find anywhere in this article that "attacks men". Please explain. It's anti-troll, however I didn't find any specific line in that that singled anyone out for being the male gender.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 08:47:39 am by Reelya »

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #115879 on: April 21, 2019, 08:58:46 am »

As I've already said it, the person outraged at the article is baiting: the profile has barely 28 posts, ffs.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #115880 on: April 21, 2019, 10:15:22 am »

Some forumites are incapable of resisting trolls. It's probably genetic or something.  :P
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #115881 on: April 21, 2019, 11:41:34 am »

I find that trolls tend to feed eachother if left to their own devices, at least in larger communities. And seeing how Dwarf Fortress is coming to Steam, these forums might suddenly get larger. Somebody coming in and seeing that post, with seemingly nobody disputing it, might think "Oh, that sort of thing is cool here" and suddenly we have people who aren't baiting, but genuinely believe that sort of thing.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #115882 on: April 21, 2019, 11:50:32 am »

But now they know they can post something like that and get a reaction.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #115883 on: April 21, 2019, 12:05:57 pm »

Social pressure does not discourage trolls; rather, it is the ambrosia upon which they feed.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #115884 on: April 21, 2019, 01:21:50 pm »

Ukraine is currently in the process of electing a new president. Their forerunner atm is an actor who promises to do the impossible without actually explaining how.

*sigh* nothing ever changes...

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #115885 on: April 21, 2019, 03:09:03 pm »

Their forerunner atm is an actor who promises to do the impossible without actually explaining how.
I think that's a prerequisite for winning any fair election. The bigger a lie, the easier it is to believe, so bigger lies get you more voters.
That's pretty much the reason communists, ultranationalists and other fundamentalists are so popular in times of crisis and uncertainty: they have the biggest lies around and never stop telling those lies, not even after the elections. Like everyone else, they have no idea how to accomplish their proclaimed goals, but they're consistent in their rhetoric, and on first glance it's easy to confuse consistency for honesty.

So look on the bright side: the whole "promising the impossible" thing is more of an indicator that candidates have to fight for the electorate as dirtily as they can get away with, so it means the political system isn't completely dead yet.
I'd be far more worried if a candidate won without promising miracles for everyone. That would mean the system is so rigged that they know from the start they have nothing to fear.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 03:10:37 pm by HmH »

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115886 on: April 21, 2019, 04:00:02 pm »

Meanwhile our political system is so not rigged, that everyone sort of knew, who would be president in next elections for like 20 years.  ::)

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #115887 on: April 21, 2019, 05:30:33 pm »

Meanwhile our political system is so not rigged, that everyone sort of knew, who would be president in next elections for like 20 years.  ::)
Yours is rigged in a broad way: it's obvious that one of the two parties will get their candidate to represent the country, since money decides the outcome when the parties' lies are of roughly equal size. It's also obvious that the two parties will divide most of the political power between them.

However, the uncertainty about the exact balance of power and the free-mass-media-dependent chaotic fluctuations in approval keep your politicians constantly on their toes, not simply trying to stay on the electorate's good side - every politician does that, except for the most psychotic of dictators - but trying to do it better than the other party.

That kind of an ass-kissing competition keeps the parties busy watching that their members don't screw up in their duties too hard, weeding out those embezzlers that are stupid or greedy enough to get caught, and making sure the system is running smoothly so they can juggle around some numbers and claim sole responsibility for it in the next elections.
If the parties were secure in their knowledge that they'll win the next election, they'd stop pretending to look out for the interests of the people and devote all of their energy to siphoning the money out of the country. Which, in turn, would hurt the economics and so on. The list of historical cases where democracy went wrong because of a lack of competition would be enormous.

Your system sucks. It's corrupt. It's oppressive. But - your system sucks less, is less corrupt and less oppressive than all the other regimes we've seen so far. It's so much less corrupt than non-competitive systems that Americans seem to believe the word "democracy" makes everything better somehow, and even managed to delude the rest of the world into thinking the same.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 05:33:02 pm by HmH »

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #115888 on: April 21, 2019, 07:06:21 pm »

Social pressure does not discourage trolls; rather, it is the ambrosia upon which they feed.
Maybe we can get a troll exorcism chant or something. Like "gr8 b8 m8 i r8 8/8 no h8".
In a time before time, I had a name.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #115889 on: April 22, 2019, 03:45:55 am »

You know this whole shit here is not about not getting the position. That's the least of things. Its  more about how the workplace had been shitty from the get-go, that I put up with a lot of crap for nebulous promises that turned out to be lies, and how they made everything as humiliating as they could.  Moreover, this place has eroded my self confidence and my ability to cope (and I can tell you, those are very important when making certain sorts of decisions).
And now they're in a panic because I'm leaving. You know whats the problem? They're so used to dealing with doctors from developing countries putting up with shit in junior positions  (and stuck in junior positions) because they literally have no choice, that they just defaulted to that attitude, even though I'm not a junior doctor, nor from a developing country, and I have plenty of choice in where I work (I had a job in Spain when I left. I would probably have one next week if I wanted to pursue that)
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 7724 7725 [7726] 7727 7728 ... 8155