Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7729 7730 [7731] 7732 7733 ... 8155

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8555307 times)

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #115950 on: May 05, 2019, 02:08:55 am »

Welp, Ramadan's tomorrow, which means I gotta wake up early, which means...

for the next 28 days.

I wasn't planning on having my sleep schedule fucked, but I guess God's more important than the well-being of his creations.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #115951 on: May 05, 2019, 04:12:00 am »

Summertime Ramadan is always great fun here in Norway, thanks to our proximity to the Arctic circle. 20 hours of sunlight every day? Sure! Just be happy that you're not up where I was in the military, where it was 23 and a half hours of daytime...

After a number of dehydration and exhaustion episodes, and everyone being generally miserable, some of the more moderate religious leaders got together and decided that it was okay to treat the day as though it had the same sun cycle as Mecca, so you could fudge the hours a little bit.

But that also means having to apply the same rules to when Ramadan shows up in winter, when you're otherwise required to fast for a while couple hours every day when the sun is actually out.

Then again, Muslims here are living in a completely different environment from most places in the Middle East... I was chatting with a dude and he said that he'd "Tried observing Ramadan once or twice, but it just wasn't for him". The fact that he not only could make that choice but also felt comfortable talking about it out loud to a stranger speaks volumes.

Good luck getting through the month, hope it goes as painlessly as possible. Remember to rehydrate when you get the chance.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #115952 on: May 05, 2019, 04:35:03 am »

Then again, Muslims here are living in a completely different environment from most places in the Middle East...
I'm not Middle Eastern, that sounds like a fate worse than death, given the predicament I'm currently in. Here, people are religious, to the point that not having a religion would get you funny looks. It's just that Islam enjoys some... privileges with regards to the law. Sharia law is only enforced for Muslims, so that's nice, at least. It just so happens, though, that converting from Islam to any other religion is a crime here. Even if it wasn't a crime, they sure make it nigh-impossible to do so; any attempt to do so is pretty much rebuffed with huge doses of guilt-tripping and the threat of irrevocably alienating everyone around you.

I'd have to move to another country and disappear if I want to have a chance of leaving unscathed.

The worst part is, I'm probably gonna be told about some kind of contract, or something, that I signed with God before I was born. It's the scummiest tactic I've ever heard of, both in terms of keeping doubters from converting away and also in the fridge logic of that argument, that being "I signed a contract, without being able to give informed consent (because I wasn't even born yet), and God's trying to enforce it despite the lack of consent! I may as well have signed a deal with the Devil, at least I know I'm being screwed over!"
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 05:09:37 am by methylatedspirit »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #115953 on: May 05, 2019, 05:04:16 am »

I´m leaving home today towards my workplace.

I resigned already but as I have a humongous notice period I´ll still be there for the next few months.   :(
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115954 on: May 05, 2019, 06:01:41 am »

Then again, Muslims here are living in a completely different environment from most places in the Middle East...
I'm not Middle Eastern, that sounds like a fate worse than death, given the predicament I'm currently in. Here, people are religious, to the point that not having a religion would get you funny looks. It's just that Islam enjoys some... privileges with regards to the law. Sharia law is only enforced for Muslims, so that's nice, at least. It just so happens, though, that converting from Islam to any other religion is a crime here. Even if it wasn't a crime, they sure make it nigh-impossible to do so; any attempt to do so is pretty much rebuffed with huge doses of guilt-tripping and the threat of irrevocably alienating everyone around you.

I'd have to move to another country and disappear if I want to have a chance of leaving unscathed.

The worst part is, I'm probably gonna be told about some kind of contract, or something, that I signed with God before I was born. It's the scummiest tactic I've ever heard of, both in terms of keeping doubters from converting away and also in the fridge logic of that argument, that being "I signed a contract, without being able to give informed consent (because I wasn't even born yet), and God's trying to enforce it despite the lack of consent! I may as well have signed a deal with the Devil, at least I know I'm being screwed over!"

Muslim culture is honestly something I'm so curious about. You'd think in the world we live in, that that kind of practice would only destroy its own credibility, but really what do I know?

I've only ever bumped into maybe two Muslims in my life, and only spoken to one, they're very scarce in my area. The Islamic world just seems so alien compared to the utterly apathetic religious atmosphere where I live. I just can't imagine it.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #115955 on: May 05, 2019, 06:50:46 am »

At least in my experience in a region with a large Muslim population that isn't majority Muslim, they're fairly ordinary people, just with a codified value system and what you might uncharitably call frequent club meetings. I have a fairly conservative Muslim girl in my current class, and my junior high class was almost half Muslim. My experience of what changes is mostly that Friday afternoons become less busy because everyone closes for an hour around one for prayers, and holidays like Eid become bigger deals.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #115956 on: May 05, 2019, 06:53:40 am »

Eh, just look at other fundamentalist religious cultures like Mormons or Jehovah's Witnesses. Then imagine what that kind of ideology could do if it were the only stable framework existing in a vacuum, and would thereby be allowed to exert its influence on more of the populace with fewer checks against its power.

It's not really much of anything specific to Islam, it's just that Islam's the lucky kid who got the entire sandbox to himself. And now it's established itself as such, and has "The Islamic world" to draw on for legitimacy.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #115957 on: May 05, 2019, 06:59:52 am »

Muslim culture is honestly something I'm so curious about. You'd think in the world we live in, that that kind of practice would only destroy its own credibility, but really what do I know?

To be fair, the Islamic world is alien to me, despite having been immersed in it for my entire life. I could try and point to intellectual disability, since religion is generally taught at a young age, an age which I strongly remember being unbearably stupid relative to my peers (a fact that would eventually lead to me being alienated from said peers, hence the fear of alienation that I've rambled on about for the past 500 posts), but that would imply that all I am is an intellectual disability. Were I to accept that, though, I'd be telling myself that it's fine to define people by a single trait, and make judgements based on that one trait, which I simply cannot accept. If I can't accept it, why should I expect others to believe me?

It's strange how my values conflict with those around me (not Bay12, you guys seem to actually care). While my friends would attribute the start of [CONTROVERSIAL WAR] to the [NON-MUSLIM SIDE], I'd just argue that [NON-MUSLIM SIDE] just wanted money/resources, completely ignoring the religious side of it because I think it'd just contribute to the discussion being a hatewank of [NON-MUSLIM SIDE]. I'd argue that hedonism, to some extent, is a good thing because it pushes people to move up in life, even as basically no one agrees with me.

In the end, I don't really know how I managed to be completely sheltered in this Islamic world (seriously, this is my first real involvement in any community that isn't Islamic) and somehow end up wanting nothing to do with it.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 07:06:08 am by methylatedspirit »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115958 on: May 05, 2019, 07:11:00 am »

You don't come across as having any kind of intellectual disability, trying to diagnose that in small children is spotty at best, more likely to give them some kind of lingering self-esteem issues than anything else. IMO.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #115959 on: May 05, 2019, 07:28:32 am »

You don't come across as having any kind of intellectual disability, trying to diagnose that in small children is spotty at best, more likely to give them some kind of lingering self-esteem issues than anything else. IMO.
I was diagnosed with mental disorders, the ones that emerge very early on, so it's sort of stuck with me ever since. Regardless, I avoid discussion of mental disorders/intellectual disability because I believe that it's something that people can't give much of a shit about because of its sensitive nature.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 07:33:28 am by methylatedspirit »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115960 on: May 06, 2019, 08:11:19 am »

Have you met Catholics, etc.?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115961 on: May 06, 2019, 02:21:50 pm »

What's Muslim school like? Are there stories from the Quran that get their own Veggietales-style adaptation? Is it like the tales of Indian schools where they just beat the children into being educated? The one Muslim woman I met had a Masters in Physics, from an Saudi Arabian (IIRC) College, and it was inappropriate at the time to barrage her with questions as to what it's like over there, or else I would have.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #115962 on: May 06, 2019, 02:44:41 pm »

Shout 'DEUS VULT'

Unlikely to be appreciated.

Almost certain to start a conversation concerning Islam.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #115963 on: May 06, 2019, 05:56:41 pm »

What's Muslim school like?

I'm sorry if my talk of 'ethnic groups' comes off as a bit racist— those terms are what I grew up with, and I deeply apologize for any misunderstandings arising from the use of such terminology. Also, all non-English terms have been translated to English to protect my identity.

You see, the educational system here (at least in government schools) isn't as Islamic as you'd think; there are 3 major ethnic groups, and only one of them is generally Muslim (rare exceptions here and there, but I'd say at least 99% of them would call themselves Muslim). Sure, this ethnic group has huge amounts of political power, but it's still a democracy, and those other groups still get representation. As such, while there is a subject dedicated to Islam (Islamic Education) and History is strongly biased towards Islam, non-Muslims are not forced into becoming or acting like Muslims— it's not in the culture, the Quran expressly forbids doing so.

I'm in the equivalent of high school right now, and it's been pretty meh. There are lectures from time to time about Islamic stuff, like how to maintain the boundaries between (non-related) people of opposing gender (in summary: no physical contact, social contact should be limited) and Ramadan (fast from dusk to dawn for the next 30 days). The teachers, they do remind the Muslim students to pray and whatever, but I wouldn't call it heavy-handed. The students already know the religious doctrine and all, so it's more about making sure they don't get distracted to the point that they don't pray*.

*Prayer is really important in Islam, if a Muslim doesn't pray 5 times at specific hours of the day, they're in danger of being thrown into Hell.

Is it like the tales of Indian schools where they just beat the children into being educated?
The government here is very strict on corporal punishment. Their stance on the issue goes: NO. A teacher that is accused of beating children would have their teaching license revoked immediately. The whole case would make national news here.

As for me, personally? I've never witnessed corporal punishment— not in a government school, at least. Sarcastic threats, yes. My previous school, though? My memories of that place are why I'm not telling about that instead. I'm still bitter about it, and it might be years before I'm able to speak on it without bursting into a 700-word rant about my problems.

Are there stories from the Quran that get their own Veggietales-style adaptation?
I know there exist these 2D cartoons adapting stories from the Quran, but I've never seen those things on TV, oddly enough. Not that I'd care enough to watch TV— there's nothing worth watching nowadays— but I digress. 3D animated stuff, though? I think my country was either too poor or too cheap to make those (these things tend to be most effective during childhood, so past tense it is). If you ask me, it's the former. All the good stories, the ones I can remember from my limited knowledge, are either related to Muhammad (good luck trying to adapt those. First-person perspective, here I come!) or are wars (okay, those actually have potential. I don't know why I've never seen adaptations of those).

Shout 'DEUS VULT'
Alternately, state that the Ottoman Empire was the sick man of Europe prior to World War 1. It worked on my parents, so it probably works on others, too!

Have you met Catholics, etc.?
If you mean the general question— people of other religions, yes, but no. The fact that they are Christian, Buddhist, or whatever doesn't seem to matter at all to me. Then again, I've not gotten close enough to other people in general for much of anything to matter anymore—

...well, that got fucking depressing,
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 02:33:02 am by methylatedspirit »

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115964 on: May 07, 2019, 06:09:13 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 03:03:51 pm by dragdeler »
let
Pages: 1 ... 7729 7730 [7731] 7732 7733 ... 8155