Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7736 7737 [7738] 7739 7740 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8577326 times)

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #116055 on: May 26, 2019, 02:42:44 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 03:13:45 pm by dragdeler »
let

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116056 on: May 26, 2019, 02:57:43 am »

1)
I presume you mean "Fiat".

In the US, it is mostly produced by lending institutions via the fractional reserve system; however, the Federal Reserve Bank also generates it but in much smaller quantities.  It is intrinsically tied to lending; AKA, debt.  (Specifically, they are promissory notes; They are backed by the promise of remuneration with goods or services, and represent the interest or indebtedness of somebody in exchange. When the Fed Reserve generates it, it is in the form of a loan to the US government, usually. The vast majority of it is produced in smaller packages all throughout the banking infrastructure every time somebody takes out a loan.)  Rather than asking how the currency is generated, it is better to ask if they understand why this is better than a fixed scarce commodity, like gold, IMO. 

2)
Forbes seems to think US private property valuation is 23 Trillion, or at least it was in 2015.
(https://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2015/04/23/fun-number-the-us-is-worth-23-trillion-or-why-a-land-value-tax-wont-work/#3b252112bbaf)

Current US debt is 22 Trillion.
https://www.npr.org/2019/02/13/694199256/u-s-national-debt-hits-22-trillion-a-new-record-thats-predicted-to-fall

That gives a positive value over deficit of 1 trillion.

3) No idea.

That is a very complex question wrapped in a deceptively simple wrapper.  It completely overlooks differences in administrative burdens, differences in distribution efficiency, differences in a bunch of other factors as well...

« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 02:59:43 am by wierd »

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116057 on: May 26, 2019, 03:07:40 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 03:13:49 pm by dragdeler »
let

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116058 on: May 26, 2019, 03:13:18 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 03:13:53 pm by dragdeler »
let

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116059 on: May 26, 2019, 05:08:27 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 03:13:59 pm by dragdeler »
let

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116060 on: May 27, 2019, 07:29:37 am »

The thing with economies is they really are zero-sum on an instantaneous basis.  There's also a deep dark secret that there is really no such thing as real debt when it comes to national or international levels.  What I mean is this:

At any given moment in time, the sum of all production of goods must equal consumption (which includes breakage) plus rate of change of stuff in storage.  Similarly, the rate of production of services must be equal to the rate of consumption of services.  (That is, you cannot "store" a haircut - haircuts must be consumed simultaneously with their production.)  (NOTE: education is a little fuzzy - education is kind of a "production capability storage" - it could probably be considered a type of production, where you create and store the ability the perform work, but that capacity does decay if it's not used.)

Debt is simply an agreement that use of a good or service now must be exchanged for a good or service in the future.  The "non zero sum" aspect of economies is that sometimes you can use current goods and services to increase productivity, so that in the future you can make more goods and services with less inputs.

When it comes to sovereign debt - it's mostly just an accounting gimmick because there is never going to be satisfaction of that debt.  One idea behind sovereign debt is that you can direct the use of current goods and production by creating debt (agreeing to pay someone for current production in the future), and the benefit of fiat is that you can create that debt without having to have someone mine a resource.  This works fine so long as the current production goes to things that improve productivity.  It does not work if it goes to things that do not improve productivity.

This is the unstated root of all the political discussions. Some people think that spending on X will improve productivity, others think it will not. As a society, yes, we want to be able to keep people healthy and happy because in general happy, healthy people are more productive (and yes, you do have to have some minimum level of societal productivity to make society function).  As soon as you start spending not on productivity, though, the system falls apart - eventually people don't believe that the debt will be honored in the future, so they change their current behavior by producing less and/or hoarding or violently protecting what they do have.

So the arguments about UBI are very interesting - it involves a combination of cultural norms and economic reality. The cultural norms are related to the portion of one's work that is expected to be retained versus shared with others.  The economic reality is that you can't give away more now than exists now.  This is why I have suggested that UBI not be some fixed number as most propose, but rather an honest, transparent wealth redistribution scheme - because really you have to redistribute what exists, not make something up.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #116061 on: May 27, 2019, 08:18:31 am »

I think we should sacrifice half of the poor and grind them into food for the other half. Prioriticing the fattest of course.
EG: your mom
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 08:20:56 am by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116062 on: May 27, 2019, 08:48:31 am »

Sweet, I should be thin enough to be safe!   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #116063 on: May 27, 2019, 08:56:12 am »

I'm carving my own gravestone as I speak. Look, I know I'm gonna die, may as well go all out on this whole 'death' thing!

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116064 on: May 27, 2019, 12:50:26 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 03:14:02 pm by dragdeler »
let

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116065 on: May 27, 2019, 01:05:42 pm »

I need my giant sink to be able to retire without fear.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116066 on: May 27, 2019, 01:36:05 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 03:14:06 pm by dragdeler »
let

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #116067 on: May 29, 2019, 04:17:44 am »

Last day on my activity programme group thing today.
Love, scriver~

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #116068 on: May 29, 2019, 04:20:27 am »

Last day on my activity programme group thing today.
Did you get coffee?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #116069 on: May 29, 2019, 11:44:33 pm »

I'm talking to my brother again.
He sent a pumping beat, and it hits me right in the doubt.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 7736 7737 [7738] 7739 7740 ... 8156