Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7741 7742 [7743] 7744 7745 ... 8155

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8552381 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #116130 on: June 14, 2019, 03:32:04 pm »

I was homeschooled for years, and then went to public school because all my friends did.

Turned out I was around 1.5 grades ahead and ended up skipping an entire grade the year after I started at public. I was able to literally read parts of the history textbook from memory on day one.

The problem is that homeschooling will give you what your parents/tutor or whatever put into it. My mother was dedicated to making sure I got everything I needed and then some, whereas I think a lot of parents view it as an out for educating their kid.

Turns out your kid still needs to know certain things in order to function in society even If you don't agree with them.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #116131 on: June 14, 2019, 03:42:38 pm »

I was homeschooled my whole life, in a completely unstructured environment where I was basically left to my own devices the whole time. At age 8 I tested as being in the upper 1% of all test-takers, with an additional notation that I had an English reading and comprehension grade comparable to university level.

The test was overseen by my parents, no third party controllers were involved due to geographical difficulty. Do I really know if I actually did any of it, or if my parents just filled in all the blanks with their 30+ years of living? Fuck no! I just get the accomplishment, with my parents cheering me all the way for my clearly unique and independent ability!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116132 on: June 14, 2019, 05:41:30 pm »

Yeah I think the stereotype (brought on by real events, mind you) is of parents homeschooling their kids to avoid actually educating them for some sort of religious or anti-government reasoning.

That said, I was home-schooled because the local school had a poor reputation for quality, which is like saying Chernobyl has a reputation for unsafe tap water. I was part of an association of local home-schooled kids, and the ones I kept up with are doing fine, with a high-school equivalent degree or higher education. Certainly no worse than if they went to public school. I think most of us did go to at least regular high school.

Still though, even with my positive experience I don't quite trust homeschooling as a concept. There is a lack of oversight to a point that tends to lead to problems in any endeavor. Though to be fair, I also qualified as post-high school reading in 4th grade. This was tested by the actual schools.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #116133 on: June 15, 2019, 05:59:49 am »

Depressed, wish I was dead. Must be the weekend.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #116134 on: June 15, 2019, 01:28:48 pm »

I agree, but have you met members of society? Teachers don't have a great success rate. Although I've met homeschooled people and...bad teachers are still much better than that.

Well, not everyone successfully grows out from being a shithead, but everyone gets at least somewhat bigger. Bad/Abusive teachers are problematic, too, but I was lucky to have the teachers I got.

Also, I really wanted to make a "we live in a society" joke, but figured it would be tonedeaf.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116135 on: June 15, 2019, 05:10:09 pm »

You are a pleasant person and I enjoy reading the things you post. Hang in there.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116136 on: June 17, 2019, 06:30:37 am »

My ex unexpectedly came up in conversation earlier and now suddenly I have a super sad. Wtf. I hadn't thought about her in ages... actually that's probably not true, I just wasn't paying attention.
Stupid brain, I've had a reasonably productive and pleasant day and now it's gonna finish up with some crippling pangs of pointless longing.

Edit: longing and self-loathing. Can't forget the self-loathing!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 06:38:19 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #116137 on: June 17, 2019, 06:52:39 am »

I suppose that's the benefit of having been mistreated and emotionally traumatized by my exes... I don't miss them.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116138 on: June 17, 2019, 07:56:19 am »

Well... I did kinda get replaced in my role as significant other without so much as a by your leave, if that counts. It was just a long distance (well, interstate...) sort of thing, though, so maybe that's standard procedure. *shrug*
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #116139 on: June 20, 2019, 03:07:14 am »

I feel like I'm losing control over my life. I'm forced to go to these, er, 'cram schools', and it's getting very stressful. Lemme explain: after school, which ends anywhere from 12:30 am to 5:00 pm (depends on the day), I have to go to this fucking cram school to learn even more. I know that every parent wants their children to succeed, but for fuck's sake, why? By default, I'm entirely fine with it, but the class on Wednesday... it's hell.

See, that one ends at 10 pm. 10. Until 10-fucking-pm, I'm forced to sit under bright florescent lighting. I'm supposed to sleep at 11 pm. Oh, and since this cram school is so far away, a one-way trip takes an hour by car. I arrive home at 11 pm, and I still haven't had dinner, packed my bag for tomorrow, or anything of the sort. The house doesn't have dimmers, so full fucking brightness it is, then. "What's that, blue light messes with circadian rhythm at night? Nah, fuck that, here's some white light to burn your eyes off! Enjoy!"

At best, I sleep at 12 am, at worst... 2 am. 6 hours of sleep max. My sleep schedule is disrupted. I wake up fatigued. There's still another day of school. The cycle of hell continues. I feel increasingly worthless, and I can't tell if I'm losing it, or if it's justified. Am I just succumbing to the Teenage Hormones™, or is it a sign of something worse?

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116140 on: June 20, 2019, 08:32:03 am »

I feel like I'm losing control over my life. I'm forced to go to these, er, 'cram schools', and it's getting very stressful. Lemme explain: after school, which ends anywhere from 12:30 am to 5:00 pm (depends on the day), I have to go to this fucking cram school to learn even more. I know that every parent wants their children to succeed, but for fuck's sake, why? By default, I'm entirely fine with it, but the class on Wednesday... it's hell.

See, that one ends at 10 pm. 10. Until 10-fucking-pm, I'm forced to sit under bright florescent lighting. I'm supposed to sleep at 11 pm. Oh, and since this cram school is so far away, a one-way trip takes an hour by car. I arrive home at 11 pm, and I still haven't had dinner, packed my bag for tomorrow, or anything of the sort. The house doesn't have dimmers, so full fucking brightness it is, then. "What's that, blue light messes with circadian rhythm at night? Nah, fuck that, here's some white light to burn your eyes off! Enjoy!"

At best, I sleep at 12 am, at worst... 2 am. 6 hours of sleep max. My sleep schedule is disrupted. I wake up fatigued. There's still another day of school. The cycle of hell continues. I feel increasingly worthless, and I can't tell if I'm losing it, or if it's justified. Am I just succumbing to the Teenage Hormones™, or is it a sign of something worse?

Well, good news is that nothing you do in High School matters. Pretty much nothing you ever do ever does/will. This is just breaking you down so you're willing to accept your place and work yourself to death for The Man.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #116141 on: June 20, 2019, 08:37:45 am »

Putting aside the cynaivism of that statement itself aside, up i really shouldn't be so quick to spout things like that about other countries and their systems. Especially when you probably can't even name the country methylatedspirit is from.
Love, scriver~

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116142 on: June 20, 2019, 09:28:17 am »

Well, good news is that nothing you do in High School matters. Pretty much nothing you ever do ever does/will. This is just breaking you down so you're willing to accept your place and work yourself to death for The Man.

The reason the parents send the kid to cram school is in the hope that he'll be The Man, instead of working for The Man.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #116143 on: June 20, 2019, 09:52:18 am »

Putting aside the cynaivism of that statement itself aside, up i really shouldn't be so quick to spout things like that about other countries and their systems. Especially when you probably can't even name the country methylatedspirit is from.
He's from Latveria I think
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116144 on: June 20, 2019, 10:22:08 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 03:14:19 pm by dragdeler »
let
Pages: 1 ... 7741 7742 [7743] 7744 7745 ... 8155