Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7742 7743 [7744] 7745 7746 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8572659 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #116145 on: June 20, 2019, 09:08:31 pm »

Chances are if he’s being sent to cram school, his parents are already The Man.

I second dragdeler’s thoughts though. Free childcare is quite the incentive.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116146 on: June 21, 2019, 12:17:42 pm »

Latveria actually exists? Or is it like when I used to tell users the internet was down because our flux condensator was having power issues?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116147 on: June 21, 2019, 12:37:49 pm »

My flux capacitor has a reciprocating dingle arm attached to its turboencabulator, so it never runs out of parsecs.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116148 on: June 21, 2019, 02:38:33 pm »

Latveria actually exists? Or is it like when I used to tell users the internet was down because our flux condensator was having power issues?

It did until the suffered a Non-serious swapfile bug.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116149 on: June 21, 2019, 04:01:13 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 03:14:23 pm by dragdeler »
let

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116150 on: June 22, 2019, 06:52:16 am »

The reason the parents send the kid to cram school is in the hope that he'll be The Man, instead of working for The Man.

Cute, children go to school so parents can work.

I doubt it's so the parent's can work. Cram school is additional private classes that you pay for. I doubt they're all that cheap. If the parents just want the kid gone, they'd make them get a part time job. And if the kid's old enough for cram school they're all old enough to be left alone while the parents work.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 06:59:05 am by Reelya »

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116151 on: June 22, 2019, 07:54:02 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 03:14:31 pm by dragdeler »
let

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116152 on: June 23, 2019, 03:31:51 am »

That's fair enough that you see *mandatory* school that way. However, even that's unfair. It strongly depends on the country, for a start. I can't tell how bad the schools are where you are, but they're not that bad everywhere, or even in most places. The main purpose of schools is to provide universal literacy a numeracy. Businesses don't *care* about discipline: people can be coached to behave better. They care that everyone applying for their jobs can read and count. "training you to be a good little worker" is bullshit. Schools don't do that. They do solve the "everyone can read" problem. But that's not just about workers. It's a problem for you to conduct commerce if your potential customers can't read as well.

What you are misinterpreting as "schools exist to train you to be a worker" is actually the opposite. The concept of modern "Schools" came into existence by copying industrial processes: mass education. Having 1 teacher to 30 students and specialized classes made mass education affordable for everyone, compared to previously where only the wealthy could hire private tutors for their children.

but we were specifically talking about cram school, which is an entirely separate thing: a privately-provided service that parents use to try and boost their kid's grades. Those exist for the opposite impulse to "teaching you to be a worker drone". Because that's not an aspiration parents who pay money for additional education resources have in mind.

The reason cram schools exist is because the tap into the parent's desire for their kids to elevate above the "drones": parents who see their kids as special use them.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 03:51:44 am by Reelya »

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116153 on: June 23, 2019, 06:34:37 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 03:14:38 pm by dragdeler »
let

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116154 on: June 23, 2019, 08:46:05 am »

One reason core schooling doesn't focus on practical knowledge is that it's almost impossible to determine what's useful knowledge for any one individual, and that knowledge is likely to date very quickly. If schools only focused on what's practical for each individual rather than imparting core knowledge, then your actual progress (and the progress of society as a whole) to higher topics would in fact be much slower, not faster. Say, 1/20 people are going to be the future leaders of science. How do you determine which students needs to learn higher, abstract maths and science before you teach them?

if you limit the teaching to "practical knowledge" someone actually has to sit down and predetermine what knowledge you "need" which would be ultimately limiting and guaranteed to be 15-20 years out of date anyway, even with the best intentions, and we also miss out on teaching the fundamentals to those people who are going to excel in each subject area.

If you notice: the courses where they teach "practical everyday knowledge" are in fact for the students they've given up on: the academic dummies who the best they can hope to teach them is how to read a newspaper or write a shopping list and add up the totals. The kids they're teaching the "useless" abstract stuff / shakespeare etc, are actually the talented ones that the future depends on. Because it's that abstract knowledge that all higher levels of learning are built on top of.

Personally, I think a schooling system solely focused on around preparing you with "practical knowledge" would be a terrible idea. For example, you say we shouldn't teach everyone trigonometry unless they need it, for specific personal reasons. But ... would you actually want to live in a world where only a select few people understood trig and geometry and algebra, or had read any shakespeare, or knew any physics or chemistry or biology at all? Because almost all subjects aren't "needed" for "practical" reasons by most people. it would be a goddamn disaster if we didn't teach them. I mean, most people aren't scientific geniuses, but because of the phenomena of public schooling they've at least heard of electrons and neutrons and protons for example. Sure, they're not all science geniuses but having a basic scientific and maths vocabulary, due to schooling, means that people can communicate about these things and be taught the specifics as needed.

BTW:

in the hope that he'll be The Man, instead of working for The Man.

Isn't that buying way too much into this meritocratic just world fallacy?

I don't think you understand how the "just world fallacy" works.

You seem to think that it's applicable here, which it is not.

The just-world hypothesis or just-world fallacy is the cognitive bias (or assumption) that a person's actions are inherently inclined to bring morally fair and fitting consequences to that person, to the end of all noble actions being eventually rewarded and all evil actions eventually punished. In other words, the just-world hypothesis is the tendency to attribute consequences to—or expect consequences as the result of—a universal force that restores moral balance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just-world_hypothesis
The just-world-fallacy always works backwards not forwards, and it is in non-causative and almost always negative, not positive. For example, if someone is struck by lightning, then after the event just-world-fallacy people attribute negative traits to that person, which means he "deserved" to be struck by lightning. That way, the person can discount the possibility that they could be struck by lightning too: since they by definition lack the negative traits that caused the person to "deserve" the bad luck. Note, that in the fallacy the trait that caused you to deserve the bad luck is never actually causally connected to the event itself. For example, if someone stood in a field with a metal pole during a storm and got struck by lightning, then the just-world-fallacy doesn't kick in: that's because the outcome was predictable, so it's not a scary outcome. If someone was just walking down the street normally and got struck by lightning, then the just-world-fallacy does apply: because the other person also walks down the street, so the possibility of being randomly struck by lightning is scary, so they rationalize it as "well he morally deserved to be hit by lightning because he's smelly, but it won't happen to me, because I'm not smelly and therefore don't deserve it".

The just-world-fallacy is a reaction against unpredictable events by concocting irrational post-hoc reasoning for why bad things happen. It's got nothing to do with the education question. It kicks in whenever there isn't a rational explanation, and always used language like "deserved" or "justified".

In this situation, it's not applicable. The parents want their kids to do better, and that's not a "fallacy", it's a desire. So, they get them extra tutoring, on the grounds that more study = higher grades. Again, a rational assumption. Then, those grades get you into a better school, and going to a better school means you're much more likely to get a better job. None of this is connected to the specific "just world fallacy".
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 09:37:14 am by Reelya »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116155 on: June 23, 2019, 09:10:03 am »

<accidental double-post>

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116156 on: June 23, 2019, 09:53:18 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 03:14:44 pm by dragdeler »
let

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #116157 on: June 24, 2019, 04:59:55 pm »

Birthday today
Love, scriver~

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #116158 on: June 24, 2019, 06:24:23 pm »

There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #116159 on: June 26, 2019, 06:49:13 am »

I'm so terribly lonely.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 7742 7743 [7744] 7745 7746 ... 8156