Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7753 7754 [7755] 7756 7757 ... 8155

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8557570 times)

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #116310 on: August 03, 2019, 05:08:11 pm »

I made a post on DMacademy asking about systems for introducing weapon degrading to D&D 5e,  structuring it as a humerous degradement of my group by framing the whole concept as petty revenge. This got out of hand, everyone took it seriously, and in my sleep-deprived state I took it seriously myself and probably said a few things I shouldn’t have. In truth, I was looking for such an idea because I have a nagging realism qoutea in my subconscious that wonkt go away, but that’s not as funny as a DM getting petty revenge on his players. Now the thing is in the minus votes, and honsetly I wish I hadn’t posted it at all. I edited the OP explaining this and I’m going to delete the thread, but God that just sucked.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116311 on: August 03, 2019, 05:12:44 pm »

Aw, sorry to hear that.

I think everyone who runs games makes that mistake once or twice. Don't get too down about it.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #116312 on: August 03, 2019, 05:27:34 pm »

Thread’s deleted. I did have a lot of problems with my players, but I re-organized it until it worked again. I now have ten players in two groups of five. Honestly, some of the shit I endured as a DM for a group of eight might be worthy of a Sadpost in and of itself.

Thanks for the words. I beat myself up a lot over things, I probably shouldn’t beat myself up over all this too.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116313 on: August 03, 2019, 05:40:39 pm »

When I DM'd I'd make it clear at the start what was allowed and what was not. This cut down greatly on stupid PC bullshit.

For instance they got told what books they were allowed to draw from to create characters. You can have the PH, and you can have one compendium book if your character can justify it. I'm not reading 16 different splash books for your ridiculous half ogre quarter pixie human supercool edgelord demon rogue with a lightsaber and a 10-inch dick and a LA of 12. Fuck you John, roll a real goddam character we're playing DnD not John's Stupid Ego and the Vehicle for His Insecurities.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #116314 on: August 03, 2019, 05:54:03 pm »

I have the opposite problem. One PHB. Ten players. They’re all newbs.

I haven’t gone and said to them ‘Okay, here’s what you can do’, I think a fairly straitforward ‘Your actions will have consequences’ has worked in the past. If they want to go around and act like a moron, they’ll get what’s coming to them. I want one day to get to a scenario where a Player says ‘That’s what my Character would do’ and I will say ‘Well this is what the Guards would do’. But not yet.

Thanks for the words.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116315 on: August 03, 2019, 05:57:02 pm »

Wow 10 is a LOT of players. Good job making that work at all.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #116316 on: August 03, 2019, 06:00:40 pm »

I have never gotten them all in the same room at the same time. Even for the session zero. Eseven were there for the session zero, and the Characters weren’t even finalized by the time I lost control of that session. I still have to break it to them that they still have to deal with spells and Class abilities. From the one phb.
*raises gun to chin*
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #116317 on: August 03, 2019, 06:10:19 pm »

Oog, 10 players? I lose all control of the situation at, like, 7-8-- I can't imagine what 10 would be like, especially seeing as they're all new...  :o

I've thought of playing around with weapon-degrading rules meself now and again... you could maybe crib a mechanic or two from Rust Monsters. Have mundane weapons take cumulative -1 damage penalties every now and then during combat (roll d20 every turn, weapon degrades on a 1? I dunno), breaking outright on a 5. Something like that.

But anyway. It sounds to me like you're trying hard-- don't worry too much when something gets a little outa control. It's normal.
And don't let the D&D forumites get to you. A lot of 'em have this weird bloodlust thing where they seek out "trouble-DMs" where there aren't any and go 'a-hunting with torches and pitchforks... that's normal too.  :P
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #116318 on: August 04, 2019, 03:10:32 am »

The system I’ve settled with is a health bar for steel or iron tools/armour/weapons, which degrades by one point per day, or more if they’re in bad weather conditions or immersed in saltwater for whatever reason. Thanks, I just sometimes... Sometimes I want to strangle every single one of them, light the building on fire and dance around it in an ancint Pagan ritual for good harvest. But that would be wrong. And the building’s made of fireproof materials, which kills the fun.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116319 on: August 04, 2019, 03:18:03 am »

Dont be silly, you just need the right accelerant.

Like any pagan ritual, you need to bring the proper ritual attire. :P

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116320 on: August 04, 2019, 04:15:41 am »

This isn't really a sad, I'm just constantly flustered from the thoughts I'm forced to think all the time. I feel like I'm retreating into myself more than I usually do, if only because I'm more and more feeling that all non-meaningful interaction is just pathetic attention-seeking behavior. Someone commented that I seem really shy, and I didn't give them a reason why (trying to write down my thoughts is hard enough, trying to verbalize them is actually impossible) but I wanted to say something along the lines of "But what else could have been done? Was there any other way to behave in the situation that gave you that impression?". I drove home feeling that everyone's behavior and all culture was decided by lawmakers and bean counters decades, maybe centuries ago, to create a world that is rational and controlled by rules, so everyone's thinking is similarly ordained by tightly defined rules, such that I don't even know that the kind of spontaneity that in my mind would constitute "non-shy" behavior can actually exist. Or maybe it's just me, and the experience of being someone else looking into my own eyes gives the impression that I'm always reflecting inward and I don't want to talk to the rest of the world, giving me a very shy and small presence. I just don't know.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #116321 on: August 04, 2019, 07:02:17 am »

Sometimes I want to strangle every single one of them, light the building on fire and dance around it in an ancint Pagan ritual for good harvest. But that would be wrong.
This is a beautiful thing and I would sig it if it wasn't just a wee bit too long. :D

This isn't really a sad, I'm just constantly flustered from the thoughts I'm forced to think all the time. I feel like I'm retreating into myself more than I usually do, if only because I'm more and more feeling that all non-meaningful interaction is just pathetic attention-seeking behavior. Someone commented that I seem really shy, and I didn't give them a reason why (trying to write down my thoughts is hard enough, trying to verbalize them is actually impossible) but I wanted to say something along the lines of "But what else could have been done? Was there any other way to behave in the situation that gave you that impression?". I drove home feeling that everyone's behavior and all culture was decided by lawmakers and bean counters decades, maybe centuries ago, to create a world that is rational and controlled by rules, so everyone's thinking is similarly ordained by tightly defined rules, such that I don't even know that the kind of spontaneity that in my mind would constitute "non-shy" behavior can actually exist. Or maybe it's just me, and the experience of being someone else looking into my own eyes gives the impression that I'm always reflecting inward and I don't want to talk to the rest of the world, giving me a very shy and small presence. I just don't know.

I tell you a secret.
Most petty conversation is about attention-seeking.
And that's okay.

People really do need attention sometimes, so we go looking for it! We go find other people looking for attention, and we siphon it off each other. We talk about stuff-- sometimes pointless stuff-- and in so doing, we get to forge a little bit of a connection with the other guy, and we get to bask in the knowledge that somebody-or-other cares what we think about something, for whatever reason. That's a good thing! It's OK to chase it! It's socially acceptable to chase it!

I solemnly swear to you: you are human, and you aren't all that abnormal of a human. I live with introverts. The weird little rules of society are ab-solutely alien to some of 'em, and it's exhausting to them trying to keep up. It's normal. :)
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #116322 on: August 04, 2019, 07:25:03 am »

Computer troubles that started last week, still ongoing, at this point I'm not sure why I'm even bothering with this pile of shit if I'm getting a replacement within a month or two, but then I remember how necessary some mindless entertainment is to just unwind after work. Which has also been kinda shit in that I learned that I won't be getting a proper vacation since I'm fairly new, so I'll no only work full time this week, I'll have to spend some of the next week on guard duty while most of the other employees are off on vacation, add to that the abysmally idiotic leadership which still refuses to actually try and bring in more people because we're stretched thin as is and it's only a matter of time before someone gets fed up with the workload or just gets sick/hurt and the whole thing grinds to a halt because we're understaffed. There's other shit too, lost of it, but this in particular has been weighing me down for the past week.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116323 on: August 05, 2019, 05:38:22 am »

I give up, I'll serve whatever I have of this project annd finish with it, I will get less then 70 and have a chance to fail this course, the second one this year, I want to say that algebra is my probelom but I'm afraid I can't do this Master's in math in general
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #116324 on: August 05, 2019, 10:34:47 am »

Yet another instance of someone I generally don't dislike casually backhanding all Christians. It always absolutely ruins my day. It's also not really something I can usually complain about, because most of my social group is Enlightened AtheistsTM or silently religious because on any vaguely political platform if you're openly religious you run the risk of being attacked for it, unless the platform is full of crazies in the other direction, which is just as bad.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.
Pages: 1 ... 7753 7754 [7755] 7756 7757 ... 8155