Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7778 7779 [7780] 7781 7782 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8571490 times)

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #116685 on: September 18, 2019, 04:25:27 am »

I am very aware of how the HSE works and all of the problems it has.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #116686 on: September 18, 2019, 04:29:03 am »

I think Arxs' point is that you are using electricity for personal pleasure. Personally I think your approach to electricity is the same as mine to meat. It is so prevalent in society that only major societal reforms on a national level will make any difference. If such reforms were brought before me, I would vote for them.

Until then, I will eat meat and you will consume electricity.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116687 on: September 18, 2019, 04:40:05 am »

I am of the opinion that I can generate my own, but am prevented from doing so by mandated oversights on its use.

Using electricity is not the problem. Mandated access, with the only option being toxic production, is. Calling this out is not hipocrisy.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #116688 on: September 18, 2019, 05:27:10 am »

Wonderful choice, though I'd recommend playing a game that's actually fun to play without other people.

Playing as Krieg.

There's no fence on this fence.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116689 on: September 18, 2019, 05:40:41 am »

My take:

Society at large will not allow me to abandon modern excess.

I would have gone off into the woods ages ago, if that was an option.  Modern society actively patrols wilderness areas to prevent this. Modern society enforces borders to prevent human migration patterns, to keep people out, and also, keep people in. 

Give me the option to stop consuming, and I would take it.  But-- while being mandated to consume, being derided for that consumption? That's bullshit.  Those that mandate the consumption need to stop mandating it first.

I think you're probably aware that the idea isn't very scalable. One person in the wilderness makes little additional footprint, the same as a one extra person in a city of 1 million makes little additional footprint. However, if 1 million people abandon a city and "go native" then it would in fact be an ecological catastrophe. Those 1 million in a city fuck up the land less than the same million playing at being survivalists. A hunter-gathering lifestyle allows far less carrying capacity per acre than the same as agricultural. And large-scale commercial agriculture uses resources more efficiently than individual mom-and-pop level farms. That's why mom-and-pop farms are being pushed out. The higher cost is related to less efficient resource use per unit output (people fed). Economies of scale grow for a reason - lower unit cost, which directly relates to lower resource usage per unit output. "going native" is not going to in fact use less resources per person than eating mass-produced food. That locally grown small farmer food costs more for a reason. It's less efficient.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116690 on: September 18, 2019, 06:14:07 am »

But again, you are overlooking some important things about the US vis-a-vis African nations.  We have "County health departments" which literally mandate living conditions.
https://lucascountyhealth.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/housing-regulations_3.pdf

(For an example.)
That's for a county in urban Ohio. Go to Alaska or some other middle of nowhere, and the building codes are lax. Unless you wanted to live off grid in downtown New Jork, in which case - no shit you can't.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116691 on: September 18, 2019, 06:22:15 am »

My area (kansas) has similarly absurd rules.  I have legitimately considered moving to bush alaska.  However, the rules for housing depend on the platte district you move to. 

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116692 on: September 18, 2019, 06:31:11 am »

There are fora for cabin owners. They can advise you on where the building codes are fair to nonexistent. I saw a guy mentioning having built a cabin an hour from St. Louis, with no more than a septic tank as a requirement. From what I read, people are saying building inspections out of town areas pretty much never happen anyway.

Which is to say, it's only an obstacle if you don't want to move yer arse from where you are now. And vague excuses along the lines of 'US is not Africa' are just that - excuses.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116693 on: September 18, 2019, 06:42:15 am »

Oh, for sure!

when I say I have looked into it, I mean I have legit looked into it.

There are properties that look very enticing, and have nice permissive platting.  However, they are very deep bush, meaning transport of building materials and tools is hella expensive.  I checked less than 6 months ago.  There are properties available through the state registrar that are in the 35k range, that are properly large.  However, that would completely tap all of my savings, leaving nothing for house materials or tools, to say nothing of shipping it.  This comes full circle to the "Why don't people in Chicago move, to escape the region's crippling poverty?"  Right now, I cannot afford to move there, but it definitely looks very enticing. 

It is indeed one of my priorities to save money for such a move.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116694 on: September 18, 2019, 06:51:56 am »

What building materials? I thought you wanted off-grid living. Get an ax, a flannel shirt, and build yourself a log cabin.
Maybe a cheapo trailer as a stopgap measure while you're constructing the humble abode.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116695 on: September 18, 2019, 07:03:10 am »

No roads.  Air drop only.

That's what I mean. :P

The plan I have, is to get a modular shed kit, (like one of these which comes as a flat-pack, and could thus be airdropped) along with a small pellet stove and a hand-operated pelletizer, which would then afford me a suitable shelter in which I could live while building the actual cabin.

When I say I have looked into this, I mean I have looked into this.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 07:07:41 am by wierd »

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #116696 on: September 18, 2019, 07:09:33 am »

Surely locals don't airdrop everything?

There's presumably somewhere with road access?

Alternatively get people to invest in that Bay12 island idea.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116697 on: September 18, 2019, 07:10:51 am »

No. Locals own bush planes.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116699 on: September 18, 2019, 07:22:57 am »

Dont speak the language, and thus do not meet immigration requirements. (also, they dont want people that move there specifically to vanish and not contribute to the GDP. No country does.)  Good idea otherwise though.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 07:30:56 am by wierd »
Pages: 1 ... 7778 7779 [7780] 7781 7782 ... 8156