Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7813 7814 [7815] 7816 7817 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8577418 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #117210 on: November 07, 2019, 09:40:40 am »

I'd rather get treated by a doctor than a layperson, if we had actual health insurance.  I'm going to do my best to avoid seeing a doctor and having my life definitely ruined, for as long as I have a reasonable hope of fixing myself.  Sure that's risky, but the other option is basically as bad.

Ignore this advice if you live in any other country - and probably ignore it even then, I'm just feeling low.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117211 on: November 07, 2019, 09:55:25 am »

I'd rather get treated by a doctor than a layperson, if we had actual health insurance.  I'm going to do my best to avoid seeing a doctor and having my life definitely ruined, for as long as I have a reasonable hope of fixing myself.  Sure that's risky, but the other option is basically as bad.

Ignore this advice if you live in any other country - and probably ignore it even then, I'm just feeling low.
Why would your life be definitely ruined by going to the doctor?
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117212 on: November 07, 2019, 09:58:16 am »

I also have this question

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #117213 on: November 07, 2019, 09:59:59 am »

The absurd nature of medical bills in the US, presumably.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #117214 on: November 07, 2019, 10:03:13 am »

Perhaps his doctor is cut from the same cloth as Harold Shipman or Michael Swango
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117215 on: November 07, 2019, 10:06:25 am »

The absurd nature of medical bills in the US, presumably.
I presumed initially, but the phrasing was off in my opinion.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #117216 on: November 07, 2019, 10:08:30 am »

That and "insurance" with 5000$ deductibles. So even if you're covered, you still pay that much before insurance even starts to help.

But the prices are so absurdly inflated that it's easy to hit that for fairly normal injuries. It's... horrifying to confront, easier to pretend I won't get injured. And ignore conditions I can "tough out", fuck...
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117217 on: November 07, 2019, 10:09:25 am »

Wouldn’t nurses and doctors learn from the biochemists what things do?

Nope, one works for a pharmaceutical company, and one works for a hospital. They never meet. Salespeople and marketers decide how to sell the drug, and they don't care how it works, just what it's supposed to do.

That and "insurance" with 5000$ deductibles. So even if you're covered, you still pay that much before insurance even starts to help.

But the prices are so absurdly inflated that it's easy to hit that for fairly normal injuries. It's... horrifying to confront, easier to pretend I won't get injured. And ignore conditions I can "tough out", fuck...

The deductible is per visit. And if you don't come back for a follow-up (and one after that, and...), you lose whatever medications you need.

My deductible is lower, but they've refused to cover work-related injuries, because my insurance is through my employer. SO when my employer injures me, I have to pay out of pocket (unless I can afford a lawyer, and can prove wrongdoing by a corporation in court in Texas). And they changed my primary care doctor to a person who doesn't exist, who I have to get permission from to see another doctor (or change my primary care doctor), because I had a tumor. That was fun.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 10:16:54 am by Iduno »

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117218 on: November 07, 2019, 10:22:23 am »

Uh, Iduno, deductible is *not* per visit. It's yearly. If they're saying it's per visit, well, they owe you some change.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117219 on: November 07, 2019, 11:53:47 am »

Uh, Iduno, deductible is *not* per visit. It's yearly. If they're saying it's per visit, well, they owe you some change.

Are you sure? What's the thing you pay each time? It's been a while for me.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117220 on: November 07, 2019, 12:48:05 pm »

Wouldn’t nurses and doctors learn from the biochemists what things do?

Having tried to teach biochemistry to medical students before, I can confirm that they do not, but not for lack of trying on our end.  :P

In all seriousness, though, doctors don't tend to stay current on their own initiative, which is a huge problem. Half the pharma companies' oversimplifications are so the drugs make sense to someone who's fifty years behind the curve.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #117221 on: November 07, 2019, 12:59:58 pm »

Co-pay?

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117222 on: November 07, 2019, 01:06:23 pm »

Co-pay?
Yeah, that one. Sorry, I got confused.

Deductible is your yearly out of pocket cap, and co-pay is just what you pay when you go in for medical things.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117223 on: November 07, 2019, 01:22:59 pm »

Co-pay?
Yeah, that one. Sorry, I got confused.

Deductible is your yearly out of pocket cap, and co-pay is just what you pay when you go in for medical things.

No, I think you were the one who wasn't wrong this time.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117224 on: November 07, 2019, 06:00:21 pm »

Unless you'd like for me to prescribe your medications? Maybe I can help you with some surgery? I've never tried it before, but it can't be that hard if a doctor only knows 10% more about it than me.
Given your attitude on the subject I wouldn't ask your advice on anything, much less medical matters...

As for a Sad, um... well, specifically, I got sidetracked playing PuBG with a good group and stayed up pretty late despite my best intentions. Now it's anyone's guess whether I'll get stuff done today or if I'll end up going back to sleep whilst trying to write up the dream I had last night.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 7813 7814 [7815] 7816 7817 ... 8156