Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7814 7815 [7816] 7817 7818 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8577056 times)

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #117225 on: November 08, 2019, 05:46:59 am »

I appreciate you going back several posts and an entire conversation thread to dredge that up and insult me; it really brightens my day when people do that, thank you.

I have a part-time contract with a company for a month, followed by full-time work at the start of next year probably. I can't decide if I actually want to work there, though. It's a teaching position, but the more I interact with them the more they feel somehow like a soulless corporate puppeting the body of an education startup. It doesn't help that apparently, if I were to work full-time I'd get monthly bonuses for graduating students and getting good reviews, which really feels like an effort to squeeze me for as much work as possible for as little salary as they can get away with.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117226 on: November 08, 2019, 07:22:13 am »

I appreciate you going back several posts and an entire conversation thread to dredge that up and insult me; it really brightens my day when people do that, thank you.

It is kinda rude, especially out of context, given that you were parodying a guy who just said doctors only know 10% more about medicine than Joe Average types*, and Yoink's slamming you for basically repeating what that guy said back at him.

* BTW: What Wizard of M. said almost feels like it could be use in a textbook explanation of the Dunning-Kruger effect. When someone says "average person" they're clearly using themselves as the yardstick, and he only sees a 10% difference between that (i.e., himself) and a doctor.

EDIT: I'll just note the entrance requirements for a medical degree here at Sydney University. You have to have an ATAR score of 99.5. ATAR is a ranking of your position on the highschool graduation exams. 99.5 means you're in the top 1 in 200 students. Then you do a 6 year degree. Even without the degree the average person isn't flyshit compared to these people academically.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 07:54:41 am by Reelya »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #117227 on: November 08, 2019, 07:52:02 am »

👨‍⚕️
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117228 on: November 08, 2019, 08:00:02 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 03:28:21 pm by dragdeler »
let

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #117229 on: November 08, 2019, 08:14:11 am »

:)
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #117230 on: November 08, 2019, 08:17:14 am »

COLON DASH THREE!!!
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #117231 on: November 08, 2019, 08:22:05 am »

It is kinda rude, especially out of context, given that you were parodying a guy who just said doctors only know 10% more about medicine than Joe Average types*, and Yoink's slamming you for basically repeating what that guy said back at him.

* BTW: What Wizard of M. said almost feels like it could be use in a textbook explanation of the Dunning-Kruger effect. When someone says "average person" they're clearly using themselves as the yardstick, and he only sees a 10% difference between that (i.e., himself) and a doctor.

EDIT: I'll just note the entrance requirements for a medical degree here at Sydney University. You have to have an ATAR score of 99.5. ATAR is a ranking of your position on the highschool graduation exams. 99.5 means you're in the top 1 in 200 students. Then you do a 6 year degree. Even without the degree the average person isn't flyshit compared to these people academically.
Wasn't it Iduno that mentioned the 10% thing? And I thought that was more specifically about "medicine" as in pharmaceuticals rather than "medicine" as a field of study.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #117232 on: November 08, 2019, 08:24:32 am »

COLON DASH THREE!!!
HUH HUH YOU SAID COLON
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117233 on: November 08, 2019, 08:31:09 am »

COLON DASH THREE!!!
HUH HUH YOU SAID COLON
WHY ARE WE TALKING IN CAPS? COLON CAN REFER TO THE ORGAN OR : SYMBOL

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117234 on: November 08, 2019, 09:10:22 am »

Wasn't it Iduno that mentioned the 10% thing? And I thought that was more specifically about "medicine" as in pharmaceuticals rather than "medicine" as a field of study.

Ah yeah sorry my mistake. Although, just saying "medicine" singular implies the discipline itself. Saying medicine to mean specifically drugs/pharmaceuticals would seem to be more laymans terms, whereas if someone who works in a hospital says "doctors only know 10% more about medicine" you should assume they mean the field of medicine, and not specifically "drugs".
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 09:13:11 am by Reelya »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #117235 on: November 08, 2019, 09:27:44 am »

COLON DASH THREE!!!
HUH HUH YOU SAID COLON
WHY ARE WE TALKING IN CAPS? COLON CAN REFER TO THE ORGAN OR : SYMBOL

That's the joke, old chap ;)
Love, scriver~

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #117236 on: November 08, 2019, 07:14:19 pm »

It is Friday, so I'm about to have my weekly 2 days of lonely isolation (the weekend.) I don't talk to people that much at school anyway, so I guess I had it coming.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #117237 on: November 08, 2019, 07:18:28 pm »

Called social security. Biggest waste of my time this entire week. Sat on hold for two hours for some disinterested secretary to finish her Burger King and shoot some totally unhelpful babble off the top of her head.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117238 on: November 08, 2019, 09:56:27 pm »

Called social security. Biggest waste of my time this entire week. Sat on hold for two hours for some disinterested secretary to finish her Burger King and shoot some totally unhelpful babble off the top of her head.
Can you go to the office?
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #117239 on: November 08, 2019, 10:17:47 pm »

Can you go to the office?

I mean you could

Like you could go to the DMV
I consume
I purchase
I consume again
Pages: 1 ... 7814 7815 [7816] 7817 7818 ... 8156