Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7831 7832 [7833] 7834 7835 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8570876 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #117480 on: December 20, 2019, 03:32:45 am »

Generally also a main point of sleep hygiene. If you only go to bed to sleep, your brain will associate it with sleep. If you do other things like eat, watch movies, play games etc., then the brain will associate it with those other activities that require being awake. Training your brain that "bed means sleep mode" can help you fall asleep when the time comes, rather than tossing and turning all night while your brain mournfully asks you where the snacks and entertainment are.

...can be slightly awkward if you bring someone home however, and just when things start heating up you just drift peacefully off to sleep... But hopefully the hormones are crazy enough by that point that you can just power through.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117481 on: December 20, 2019, 08:43:29 am »

...can be slightly awkward if you bring someone home however, and just when things start heating up you just drift peacefully off to sleep... But hopefully the hormones are crazy enough by that point that you can just power through.

Or have other rooms.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117482 on: December 20, 2019, 12:50:41 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 03:32:24 pm by dragdeler »
let

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117483 on: December 20, 2019, 12:51:54 pm »

No need to be fancy, just be exhibitionist!

Privacy fencing is a thing, after-all. 

And if in the inner city--- Find a nice rooftop. :P

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #117484 on: December 22, 2019, 02:09:18 am »

Fuck.

Just fuck.

Fuck fuck fuckity fuck.

I am angry, for what is a very good reason, but the thing I’m angry about will not change, so there’s not really any point to being angry. Indeed, being angry will just make things worse for what made me angry in the first place, and now that I’m thinking this through I feel less angry on one hand - there’s no fucking point - and more angry on the other - there should be a fucking point.

My desire for privacy evidently overrides my desire to hash this out. This is so fucking stupid.

/fucking vaguebooking cunts eh
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117485 on: December 22, 2019, 02:12:06 am »

Emotions are irrational and illogical things.

Accepting this well help your rational mind triumph.  The emotions will not go away, but you will better identify that they cannot be satisfied, and should thus be ignored.

Not really a consolation, just good advice.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #117486 on: December 22, 2019, 07:35:09 am »

Nah, emotions are selfish, they push you to make decisions that make your existence... not necessarily better, but easier or something. More immediately fulfilling, I guess. /early morning philosophizing

Doesn’t do shit for the long-term though, so I guess I’ll just come to terms with my conclusions and eventually move on.

Perhaps this is why I’m emotionally stunted, realizing that emotions just make things more difficult, so fuck ‘em. It’s just anger and frustration have been something of a motivating factor for me for a while, or perhaps it’s just the primal lizard brain doing the talking. We’ll see how this goes over the ensuing few weeks.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #117487 on: December 22, 2019, 08:51:06 am »

Emotions are a basic information processing feature tbh. It gives you an initial assessment as to how to focus in a situation.

Nah, emotions are selfish, they push you to make decisions that make your existence... not necessarily better, but easier or something. More immediately fulfilling, I guess. /early morning philosophizing

Doesn’t do shit for the long-term though, so I guess I’ll just come to terms with my conclusions and eventually move on.

Perhaps this is why I’m emotionally stunted, realizing that emotions just make things more difficult, so fuck ‘em. It’s just anger and frustration have been something of a motivating factor for me for a while, or perhaps it’s just the primal lizard brain doing the talking. We’ll see how this goes over the ensuing few weeks.
See? Your hate has made you powerful. Let it flow through you and your transformation to the dark side will be complete
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117488 on: December 22, 2019, 09:33:49 am »

Emotions are a basic information processing feature tbh. It gives you an initial assessment as to how to focus in a situation.

Now if only we could get a firmware update, the emotion module is still optimized for tribal/nomadic playstyles.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117489 on: December 22, 2019, 09:47:27 am »

Due to being out-of-state for Christmas, I am most likely going to miss my close friend group's NYE celebration this year.
Can't even really work up the energy to be particularly distraught about this right now, but it certainly will be a hell of a time that I am missing.

Also I haven't done any Christmas shopping and I really need to get at least some sort of gift for the two family members I am staying with. Oh and that reminds me, I need to reply to a message from my dad as well.

Edit: oh right, plus I need to move house early next year, and fuck knows where I'll move to or how I'm gonna get all my burdensome belongings from point A to point B.
Guess I'll burn that bridge (and possibly everything I own) when I come to it.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 09:49:29 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117490 on: December 22, 2019, 10:46:04 am »

More disappointment than sad: Fuck it, The Guardian just joined the 'you must sign in/register to read' bandwagon. (yes, I know I posted the exact same thing to three 'emotion threads', I can be disappointed, WTF'd and frustrated at the same time to the same thing can't I?) Edit: of course though, I can just click 'not now', but still.........
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 11:10:29 am by smjjames »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #117491 on: December 22, 2019, 01:05:55 pm »

My drinking was getting particularly out of hand again, so aaaalmost a week ago I decided to be sober for a week to... well, make sure I could.  (particularly since I was starting to type nonsense everywhere again, despite trying not to.  That was... concerning).

First off, I'm actually enjoying all this free time I actually remember and am competent during.  Lots of walking, but also some of my favorite nostalgic video games.  Zonking out to music was certainly fun, but I'm more... involved with these games.  Particularly my minecraft project.

I'm dreaming, like, every night.  Lots of crazy stuff.  Some uncomfortable, but mostly just impressive.  It's almost like the weird stuff I would come up with while drunk, except my body's getting proper rest.  I wonder if those are the "delirium tremens" (DTs).  I'm only getting them at night though (I would say asleep, but my sleep has been pretty fitful).

The most worrisome part is that last night, fifth full night sober, it got significantly more difficult.  Up till then it'd felt purely psychological, like a game I wanted to play.  Easy to distract myself from.  Yesterday and today I feel off, and I don't think it's just the over-exercise.  I started looking for excuses to, like, have a little bit.  And I think that's actually valid?  Assuming I actually stick to it, weaning myself off might be a lot easier than going cold-turkey.

Thing is, now my pride's involved.  I stated to some people I care about that I wasn't going to drink till New Years (AKA a full *two* weeks) and I don't want to make that a lie.  I may have a lot to work on in my life, but if there's one thing I'm good at, it's inaction and distraction!  I can totally *not* drink for two weeks.

Sure, my RL friends *just* gifted me a handle of nice gin.  Sure, I still have my previous handle in my room (it would be cowardice to hide it away!).  Sure I've chosen to stop drinking during LITERALLY the most stressful time of the year, where I regularly have nervous breakdowns and turn off my phone.  Sure my drinking has been excessive for uh almost four years.  That'll just make it even more badass when I succeed!

I was a teetotaler in college.  I always thought that this was problem I would never have.  Every time I consider drinking "a little" I get mad at my weakness, and at how much I've already pissed away.

I'm still going to drink in 2020.  I *love* getting drunk occasionally.  I particularly enjoyed it before it became a chronic thing.  I'm going to have fun, but I'm going to be fully in control of the schedule.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #117492 on: December 22, 2019, 05:01:40 pm »

It is fine to hold the bottle. When the bottle holds you, not so fine. Good luck.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #117493 on: December 23, 2019, 05:17:41 am »

Yeah, don't become a victim of the beast known as "Alcoholism". I've certainly seen enough people who've been enslaved by The Bottle.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117494 on: December 23, 2019, 08:58:17 am »

I'm dreaming, like, every night.  Lots of crazy stuff.  Some uncomfortable, but mostly just impressive.  It's almost like the weird stuff I would come up with while drunk, except my body's getting proper rest.  I wonder if those are the "delirium tremens" (DTs).  I'm only getting them at night though (I would say asleep, but my sleep has been pretty fitful).

Nah, the DTs make you actually tremble (small amount of shaking) most of the time when sober.

It sounds more like psychological addiction (similar to gambling, or TV/video games). I've been doing the 1 day/week, 1 week/month, 1 month/year sober thing to help with that. I see the same thing with the last day or 2 being the toughest. You just need to find other ways of relaxing. Try not to rely on one method of relaxation too much.
Pages: 1 ... 7831 7832 [7833] 7834 7835 ... 8156