Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7850 7851 [7852] 7853 7854 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8569637 times)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #117765 on: February 03, 2020, 04:56:37 pm »

I still remember that night when Chavez said on national broadcast he had cancer. I had lots of mixed feelings, while I can't deny a part of me wanted the bastard dead, I wanted it to be a firing squad for high treason, not like that, and while the suffering he might have endured was more than deserved for sure, cancer per se is not something you wish upon anyone or celebrate in any form. My grandpa died of complications from it (even after he kinda beat it 3 years before that), my father in law and his father died of cancer and that forever shattered a whole family and even today the ripples of those loses affect us.

Does some people deserve horrible and painful deaths? That's for sure, some people do. Should we be happy for it when it comes down to this kind of stuff.... maybe we can't overcome feel satisfied or horrified depending on how much empathy one have, but to celebrate it and give high fives... paraphrasing, those who fights monsters should see to it that they not become monsters themselves.

Or paraphrasing a little more, don't be an asshole.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 04:59:49 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #117766 on: February 03, 2020, 05:01:44 pm »

I still remember that night when Chavez said on national broadcast he had cancer. I had lots of mixed feelings, while I can't deny a part of me wanted the bastard dead, I wanted it to be a firing squad for high treason, not like that, and while the suffering he might have endured was more than deserved for sure, cancer per se is not something you wish upon anyone or celebrate in any form. My grandpa died of complications from it (even after he kinda beat it 3 years before that), my father in law and his father died of cancer and that forever shattered a whole family and even today the ripples of those loses affect us.

Does some people deserve horrible and painful deaths? That's for sure, some people do. Should we be happy for it when it comes down to this kind of stuff.... maybe we can't overcome feel satisfied or horrified depending on how much empathy one have, but to celebrate it and give high fives... paraphrasing, those who fights monsters should see to it that they not become monsters themselves.

Or paraphrasing a little more, don't be an asshole.

Rush Limbaugh has cancer. I hate the man, I hate the show, and I hate what the GOP has done to my country. Seeing people cheering still sickens me.

And now you know why I was pissed off at that joke someone made a while back about gun-loving Republicans getting mass-murdered in a church

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #117767 on: February 03, 2020, 08:13:03 pm »

I treat (non-solid) cancer for a living. I tend not to enjoy people suffering from human misery, in general, on principle :/

For that matter: my people were oppressed by one of the last fascist dictators in Europe. Who ended up dying from a clot.  Personally I find little to celebrate. The bastard wasn't ousted from power, he just ended up dying from a random human misery, but not before he had set up his family, political allies, and pet royalty, and laid down the groundwork for preserving much of his state apparatus. 45 years after his death he *still* casts a long shadow over politics and institutions.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 08:14:56 pm by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #117768 on: February 03, 2020, 10:08:17 pm »

I hit a deer on the way home, broke her back, all she could do was scoot around on her butt in the ditch. I tried to strangle her but I couldn't, she was too strong. I found an old dull kitchen knife and stabbed her throat a bunch, it seemed to hit a major artery, but it wasn't fast. One of the neighbors showed up with a gun and shot her in the head, but he was worried about me too even though I'm fine. I need to keep a sharper knife. Or a handgun. I know it'll eventually happen again.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #117769 on: February 03, 2020, 10:10:22 pm »

. One of the neighbors showed up with a gun and shot her in the head, but he was worried about me too even though I'm fine..
..he wanted to shoot you in the head too?
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #117770 on: February 03, 2020, 10:11:42 pm »

I hit a deer on the way home, broke her back

Good grief but that sounds like an awful experience. :-[
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #117771 on: February 03, 2020, 10:29:21 pm »

..he wanted to shoot you in the head too?

No, he thought I was hurt or really upset I guess, which I kinda am. He's actually a really great neighbor.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117772 on: February 04, 2020, 09:04:15 am »

My newest supervisor is making us realize just how shit things are here, or maybe he's just testing us. He has this idea that if I quit hiding what I'm doing from coworkers that they'll help with it. That's obviously and provably untrue; these assholes are looking for ways to sabotage me (and have done so before). Also, we're forced by HR to have weekly meetings so they can keep tabs on us, and his questions are stuff like "name a positive thing that has happened in the last week" or "What you need support for, either from me or from someone else – information, advice, and encouragement". The only positive thing in my life is when I don't have to come to work, and can instead spend time in my overpriced shitty apartment, and it's not noticeably leaking that day. The other question just feels like a trap. I can't think of a time anyone encouraged me to do anything but kill myself.

JEB Davis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117773 on: February 04, 2020, 10:33:39 am »

You have my empathy. If I was in your shoes, I would have considered BOTH questions to be traps. Truthful answers to their questions may be a mistake, as much as my nature would lead me to answer truthfully, instead I would have to think of what they were looking for and answer in a way that would not damage my future at that place of employment.

Dilbert is reality in the workplace, at least for engineers.

The best thing that my former employer (of 12 years) did for me in the past 5 years is to terminate my employment with severance pay. They were most likely surprised by my instant large smile and response "Cool!" when they told me I was terminated, and the response was BEFORE they mentioned severance pay!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117774 on: February 04, 2020, 10:59:25 am »

You have my empathy. If I was in your shoes, I would have considered BOTH questions to be traps. Truthful answers to their questions may be a mistake, as much as my nature would lead me to answer truthfully, instead I would have to think of what they were looking for and answer in a way that would not damage my future at that place of employment.

Dilbert is reality in the workplace, at least for engineers.

The best thing that my former employer (of 12 years) did for me in the past 5 years is to terminate my employment with severance pay. They were most likely surprised by my instant large smile and response "Cool!" when they told me I was terminated, and the response was BEFORE they mentioned severance pay!

*Trump Finger Point* "You're fired"
"GOD YES!"
"But wait, there's more!"

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117775 on: February 04, 2020, 11:09:08 am »

I hit a deer on the way home, broke her back, all she could do was scoot around on her butt in the ditch. I tried to strangle her but I couldn't, she was too strong. I found an old dull kitchen knife and stabbed her throat a bunch, it seemed to hit a major artery, but it wasn't fast. One of the neighbors showed up with a gun and shot her in the head, but he was worried about me too even though I'm fine. I need to keep a sharper knife. Or a handgun. I know it'll eventually happen again.
You don't stab the troath, you stab the heart for a quicker death. Admittedly is hard. Is sad you can't rush them to a vet I guess.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117776 on: February 04, 2020, 12:54:19 pm »

Yeah, your supervisor sounds like a decent person, just not with your co-workers. A hostile work environment is a hostile work environment, and good-will measures that work well elsewhere (my office does similar things, they work decently) are going to hurt people in a hostile environment. What industry do you work in again? (Don't have to answer of course)
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117777 on: February 04, 2020, 01:21:30 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 03:39:13 pm by dragdeler »
let

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117778 on: February 04, 2020, 01:30:26 pm »

Yeah, your supervisor sounds like a decent person

I'm hoping so, but...

You know they had me loose my marbles friday when I halfway yelled at Baal after acting very recklessly in RL... saturday morning I wrote "I'm not coming in I'm sick" then immediately shut off my phone (still haven't turned it on). So I was prepared for everything this morning and hoping I could escalate the situation into my last day...

You know what happened?

Not. A. Single. Word. I just got to work and nobody ever mentionned it. It's like I won. Except they're gaslighting me. Except it's fair to diagnosticate borderline syndrom into psyche. Except one has to be naive to not take into account the broader powerdynamic, class struggle, and individual incentives. Except I wound up being extremly friendly especially to the new guy. Except I know for a fact that the guy is a recovering heroin addict.

I'm... I need more data. What no that's how they win. Why am I not angry?

Good luck, man. I know the feeling.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117779 on: February 04, 2020, 01:32:09 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 03:39:19 pm by dragdeler »
let
Pages: 1 ... 7850 7851 [7852] 7853 7854 ... 8156