Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7867 7868 [7869] 7870 7871 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8571674 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #118020 on: March 14, 2020, 03:09:33 am »

What caused it, if you don't mind my asking?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118021 on: March 14, 2020, 03:52:37 am »

What caused it, if you don't mind my asking?
It? That's a biiiiiig question. So I don't clutter the thread, I'm going to put the answer in a spoiler.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #118022 on: March 16, 2020, 01:03:46 am »

My life is a joke. I don't get to be happy for any real length of time. I guess I don't deserve it. The few things that make me truly, genuinely happy, I have to kick and scratch to hold on to for as long as I can before they're ripped out of my hands again. I wish my dad had worn a condom. Why couldn't you bag it up Ron, you irresponsible prick?
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
  • Dreams of creating a great work of art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118023 on: March 16, 2020, 01:38:09 am »

I wish my dad had worn a condom.

Wrong!

But I feel you, pal. Now that our beloved government put us to quarantine, it just added to my emptiness. Heh, I remember my reaction when they closed churches for public. I served on one last mass and then, I completely lost it. I was screaming, weeping, running away from people... I was nuts for like two hours, then it stopped.

It was awful. I remember talking to myself, when someone asked me something, I answered to myself, I was constantly thinking and considering every single little thing that I knew I should do, if it's worth it... It's hard to explain, something like:

"Should I pull keys outta my pocket? Should I open the door? Why? Why?!! For what?"

And if I recall correctly, I finished these actions only by saying to myself it doesn't matter anyway. Phew.

Last time I went temporarily insane, what'll come next...

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118024 on: March 16, 2020, 03:48:32 am »

Edit: oops, didn't intend to start a new page with this.   
To put it mildly, IINL, I know how you feel. Just... hang in there and keep on kicking, scratching and clawing out every scrap of enjoyment from this dunghill called existence. You're doing alright if you ask me.   
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 03:50:34 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118025 on: March 18, 2020, 07:14:56 am »

We have destroyed - or at least severely damaged - free society worldwide to save a few (statistically speaking*; I'm not trying to demean any individual; I mean I'm worried about my elderly relatives**) people.

This makes me sad.  And I tend to try and be an optimist and voice for positivitiy...

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118026 on: March 18, 2020, 07:33:42 am »

200K is a vast under-estimate of the current infected. That's only the people we've tested.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

The story is that there are basically no cases in India. however, that's because India has nearly non-existent testing
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/03/india-poor-testing-rate-masked-coronavirus-cases-200318040314568.html

India is still doing the "only travelers from affected nations are allowed to be tested" bit. Seriously, India alone, with it's extremely lax testing regime and crowded urban centers with poor sanitation could end up accounting for 1 billion infections.

EDIT:

Also, as far as South Korea goes, the fact that they aggressively tested was part of the reason they had a low fatality rate: if you intervene sooner and your hospitals don't get overloaded then there's a much better prognosis. It's not accurate to claim that the base-rate if you don't test at all would be the same ~1.0% of known infections. That's only if you aggressively test and treat people as soon as you know they're sick. South Korea got onto it right away and that ensured they didn't have so many cases that it crashed their medical system, which is what happened in Italy. So it can really go either way.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 07:58:44 am by Reelya »

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118027 on: March 18, 2020, 07:58:26 am »

Regardless of the true vs reported cases:

I guess I have a different worldview - I'm not of the opinion that we should do "whatever it takes" to save lives.  It's like a real-world ethics problem:  is it worth adversely affecting the lives of 97% of the population in perpetuity to keep 3% of the population alive a little longer?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #118028 on: March 18, 2020, 08:10:03 am »

The more people infected, the more likely it is to mutate, perhaps to something that will much more adversely affect that 97%.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #118029 on: March 18, 2020, 08:10:20 am »

I guess I have a different worldview - I'm not of the opinion that we should do "whatever it takes" to save lives.  It's like a real-world ethics problem:  is it worth adversely affecting the lives of 97% of the population in perpetuity to keep 3% of the population alive a little longer?
The problem is not that 3%, (or maybe as low as 0.5%, depending on how many silent carriers there are) of the population will die
The problem is that this virus, if unchecked, infects EVERYONE at the same time. There's not enough beds for everyone. And that means thousands dead from coronavirus... and what is not coronavirus.

If you burst an appendix and need urgent surgery, you might die due to lack of beds, even if your personal odds of dying from coronavirus are good.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #118030 on: March 18, 2020, 08:24:52 am »

Also, as far as South Korea goes, the fact that they aggressively tested was part of the reason they had a low fatality rate: if you intervene sooner and your hospitals don't get overloaded then there's a much better prognosis. It's not accurate to claim that the base-rate if you don't test at all would be the same ~1.0% of known infections. That's only if you aggressively test and treat people as soon as you know they're sick. South Korea got onto it right away and that ensured they didn't have so many cases that it crashed their medical system, which is what happened in Italy. So it can really go either way.
There are very strong hints that the infected with the identificable clinical presentation are just the tip of the iceberg

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/early/2020/03/13/science.abb3221?utm_campaign=SciMag&utm_source=JHubbard&utm_medium=Facebook

Now, this is an inferred number. We don't know the exact number. But it's not the only study. People in Italy are saying the same (an Italian epidemiologist was estimating that as much as 70% of the total cases might be "silent".

There are also observational studies. In China they detected 24 covid positive patients around one who was infected and presenting the disease. Only 5% went on to develop symptoms. The rest? They were positive for covid and could spread it. But no symptoms. Most of them only had some radiological changes. But others, the youngest, not even that.
https://www.physiciansweekly.com/clinical-characteristics-of-24-asymptomatic-infections-with-covid-19-screened-among-close-contacts-in-nanjing-china/?fbclid=IwAR1O4y7u4-yj2_d_mhUlsD41-XzlwzGNpB6s-X1YC_-87Qj5kNR518wagsQ

You know, I actually got a message about this two weeks ago, and did not think much of it at the time. But now everyone is talking about it.
There's even a Nature editorial:
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-00760-8?utm_content=121699907&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&hss_channel=fbp-126949064159706&fbclid=IwAR1O4y7u4-yj2_d_mhUlsD41-XzlwzGNpB6s-X1YC_-87Qj5kNR518wagsQ

It's even spreading to popsci at this point. National Geographic has started to post stuff about silent spreaders and historical cases.

I honestly  thought all this a bad scifi novel until shortly ago. I'm losing the grip now.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #118031 on: March 18, 2020, 02:33:16 pm »

To put this into perspective, we have 88 confirmed cases in Ohio. The problem is that some of those confirmed cases are people who have not traveled to regions that are known to have it, or known to have been in contact with people who have thus traveled. This means that the virus is being community-spread, which suggests that either these people are extremely unlucky, or we have a floor figure of 100,000 cases - 1% of the population carrying a bug is usually necessary for this sort of spread. If even half this number fall seriously ill, we're looking at a colossal drain on medical supplies and hospital space.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118032 on: March 18, 2020, 03:19:31 pm »

No, but there are also a large number of people who will not quite die, which is unpleasant.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-00760-8?utm_content=121699907&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&hss_channel=fbp-126949064159706&fbclid=IwAR1O4y7u4-yj2_d_mhUlsD41-XzlwzGNpB6s-X1YC_-87Qj5kNR518wagsQ

That's the ugliest link I've ever seen. Try https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-00760-8

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118033 on: March 18, 2020, 06:34:14 pm »

I can't really remember the dream I had, but I'm pretty sure it was far better than reality.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118034 on: March 18, 2020, 09:14:09 pm »

I can't really remember the dream I had, but I'm pretty sure it was far better than reality.   

I'm sure it was, too, man.
Pages: 1 ... 7867 7868 [7869] 7870 7871 ... 8156