Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7873 7874 [7875] 7876 7877 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8584674 times)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #118110 on: April 04, 2020, 12:05:42 pm »

Iduno, that really sucks, is there any legal protection in act right now against precisely that?

The laws here were written in part by the landlords, so not really. Unless I can prove that they violated the written agreement they lost and refused to give me a copy of, or have video of them throwing away checks so they can say they didn't receive them. If they don't tell me they didn't receive the check for over a month, that's on me, and I have to pay the late fees for that entire period.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118111 on: April 04, 2020, 12:27:17 pm »

Unless I can prove that they violated the written agreement they lost and refused to give me a copy of

Refused to give you a copy of the contract? You mean when you were signing it? That's a flaming vermilion flag right there. I would've backed out right then and there. I mean of course they were gonna "lose" it. At least until a situation arrives in which the contract puts you at fault. Then it might magically reappear.

Can you pay rent through bank transfer? So there's written documentation of the payment at least?
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118112 on: April 04, 2020, 12:33:58 pm »

Unless I can prove that they violated the written agreement they lost and refused to give me a copy of

Refused to give you a copy of the contract? You mean when you were signing it? That's a flaming vermilion flag right there. I would've backed out right then and there. I mean of course they were gonna "lose" it. At least until a situation arrives in which the contract puts you at fault. Then it might magically reappear.

Can you pay rent through bank transfer? So there's written documentation of the payment at least?

Like I said, the laws were written by the landlords.  I can get a copy of the contract, but the pages of addendum that are added constantly are kept solely by them.

And while bank transfers have never been allowed (because sharing their bank information might allow for piercing the corporate veil, a legal concept in the US where companies do not need to reveal their ownership unless legally obligated to, allowing for shell corporations to hide bad behavior), the newest contract forbids payment through any method other than their own website, including any applicable fees for using that website.  Probably because people like me have been able to prove the rent was paid when they claimed it was not.

I've tried moving, but there are ~3 companies in the country who own the vast majority of all rentals, and the one who operates here has near-total coverage. I can't find anywhere to rent that they aren't in control of, so nothing would change.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118113 on: April 04, 2020, 12:35:49 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 03:44:34 pm by dragdeler »
let

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118114 on: April 04, 2020, 01:13:05 pm »

Bloop electronic transfer plan sounds good. Also you could make them sign a receipt of the check every time. By some law I mean there's a lot of countries were by national or local acts eviction and other kind of dickery are forbiden right now due the quarantine, even in some places paying is not required.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118115 on: April 04, 2020, 06:37:54 pm »

Bloop electronic transfer plan sounds good. Also you could make them sign a receipt of the check every time. By some law I mean there's a lot of countries were by national or local acts eviction and other kind of dickery are forbiden right now due the quarantine, even in some places paying is not required.

Man, I wish I lived somewhere that reasonable.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118116 on: April 07, 2020, 02:16:54 pm »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118117 on: April 07, 2020, 08:18:09 pm »

Can't even muster up the energy to explain how shit I currently feel in words, let alone why. No, Coronavirus isn't responsible for the shittiness, but it certainly doesn't help.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118118 on: April 07, 2020, 09:08:17 pm »

For the past few nights I’ve been thinking about how society is on its way towards corporatism due to companies basically controlling governments via lobbying, and how companies directly being the government might be the next step, and also about how society will collapse due to depletion of resources, and how our ever growing population will mean even less resources per person especially because of pollution, habitat destruction, etc. the possibility of civil war, the possibility of the USA government becoming a military state, the possibility that it already is a military state, and more...does anyone else think of this stuff?

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118119 on: April 07, 2020, 09:17:34 pm »

For the past few nights I’ve been thinking about how society is on its way towards corporatism due to companies basically controlling governments via lobbying, and how companies directly being the government might be the next step, and also about how society will collapse due to depletion of resources, and how our ever growing population will mean even less resources per person especially because of pollution, habitat destruction, etc. the possibility of civil war, the possibility of the USA government becoming a military state, the possibility that it already is a military state, and more...does anyone else think of this stuff?

Yeah, and also that the politicians from both political parties in the US think “Fascism should more appropriately be called Corporatism because it is a merger of state and corporate power” is something they should be aiming for.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #118120 on: April 07, 2020, 09:18:29 pm »

My wife's facility, which has had zero coronavirus, is accepting transfers from places which have had coronavirus. Because fuck protecting our community, hell fuck protecting our elderly, who cares about that shit when MONEY!?!?!?

Why do I wake up? There's no point of being alive. Life is breaking my spirit in bigger and bigger ways every single week. I can't escape, I can only distract myself for a few hours at a time before remembering I'm cursed, I was doomed to failure from the instant I was conceived. The world gives an inch and then it takes your entire goddamn country, all your money, all your friends and family and everything you ever thought was good and sacred.

I dread waking up tomorrow.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #118121 on: April 07, 2020, 09:18:43 pm »

Quite often, but at the same time what am I to do.

I muse that we basically got all the negative stuff from most cyberpunk fiction, but miss out on cool robots and cybernetic transhumanism.  Damn shame.

Best news I could give you is that with this virus stuff there's a rough 50/50 chance things could get a bit better for the common man.  Work-from-home could cement as a new norm, which could improve the US work ethic and give people a better work/leisure balance.  It can bring a lot of talk about a better healthcare system, and potentially basic income.

Although to be very honest, I have a poor perspective on how people are living around the virus right now.  My job's closed down but for this month and the last I've still been paid, and other than student debt I've got no big expenses.  Even though I'm sure to get a stimulus check I'm probably the last person who needs it.  Unless I or someone close gets sick it mostly wouldn't hurt me.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #118122 on: April 08, 2020, 01:21:43 am »

The modern world is to cyberpunk as medieval europe is to generic fantasy. Which is to say, real life is bad and boring and doesn't have enough dragons.
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #118123 on: April 08, 2020, 01:56:39 am »

Dragons are just metaphors for people and angry clouds
Love, scriver~

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #118124 on: April 08, 2020, 06:28:26 am »

Or the aurora borealis/comets/shooting stars according to medieval writers.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 7873 7874 [7875] 7876 7877 ... 8156