Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7881 7882 [7883] 7884 7885 ... 8155

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8552058 times)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #118230 on: May 15, 2020, 05:52:05 pm »

My 2007 laptop is finally dying :(

It's been having cooling problems, and now one of the fan bearings is going. It is bad enough that the laptop is physically shaking and sounds like a screaming banshee.  I'm less worried about the loss of cooling than I am about potential overcurrents / hot spots due to motor failure.

And laptops don't normally handle heat well, so losing that fan will be real bad.

I can barely manage 5 years, but I buy Acer, so I should know what I'm getting into.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 06:43:27 pm by Iduno »

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118231 on: May 15, 2020, 06:10:57 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 03:44:37 pm by dragdeler »
let

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #118232 on: May 15, 2020, 11:00:31 pm »

The fuck did you just say to me!?

‘cause I don’t speak...

I think you’re Belgian for some reason, so Flemish? Or am I thinking too far outside the box and it’s just yer bog-standard German?

Anyhow, Money Heist/La Casa de Papel is donezo for the time being. Very few television shows make me feel so strongly about things, it was a lot of fun, and also torture.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118233 on: May 15, 2020, 11:14:15 pm »

I doubted that it's Flemish, since it had several accents and I don't remember accents being in Flemish, (Flemish is close to English, since Flanders is right across the English Channel from England) and Flemish is a minority language even in Belgium, and Google Translate tells me it is indeed German.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #118234 on: May 16, 2020, 11:57:20 am »

I absolutely hate my brother. Have for years. And I have to repress it in front of my dad.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Quaksna

• Bay Watcher
  • Dreams of creating a great work of art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118235 on: May 16, 2020, 12:04:31 pm »

I absolutely hate my brother. Have for years. And I have to repress it in front of my dad.

Is he the firstborn heir? I have quite a similar problem, like, I respect him deeply, but he just feels like a sort of obstacle, and the "better" son. It's great when we listen to music together and get drunk and stuff, but... It's a weird love/hate relationship. I feel you, man.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118236 on: May 16, 2020, 12:28:00 pm »

The fuck did you just say to me!?

‘cause I don’t speak...

I think you’re Belgian for some reason, so Flemish?

Flanders hasn't existed for...a while, so I correctly guessed German. The advice given to my by my 10+ language-speaking professor was to learn German and French if you're going to Belguim.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118237 on: May 16, 2020, 12:50:47 pm »

I know this, but Flemish is still a thing, and a thing I associate with Belgium.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118238 on: May 16, 2020, 01:26:43 pm »

Is he the firstborn heir? I have quite a similar problem, like, I respect him deeply, but he just feels like a sort of obstacle, and the "better" son. It's great when we listen to music together and get drunk and stuff, but... It's a weird love/hate relationship. I feel you, man.
There's no love element, I'm afraid. He is the eldest son, and my dad invested a lot in him as heir to the farm. I don't mind that, though. It's him who's the problem. He constantly taunts, insults and shoves me. Then any response from me is met with my dad's anger - I should be the "bigger man" "not let it get to me" "he's just being immature" "why can't you get along with him?" So I've spent years taking insults in my home with a bland face. I honestly don't think avoiding my anger like this is healthy.

He's stabbed the entire family in the back. I'll give one example in a vast horde. He stole my mum's engagement ring, beat it into a misshapen lump, and pawned it. As a consequence of such acts, he's shunned by much of the family, which leads my dad to be defensive. He does a lot of work on the farm, and they're together a lot. He's nothing like my dad, who is a hard-working and incredibly honest person. But my dad's ideas of blood are even stronger than mine. "He's my son." The upshot is that he gets very touchy when my brother isn't given his place.

My brother systematically pits my mum against my dad. He enjoys 'stirring it'. Every meal which he is present for is stressful. And he doesn't like anyone else talking to my dad, often talking over people. And my dad lets him, which he would never in a million years do for anyone else. I'm guessing he's trying to overcompensate for the fact that no-one else engages my brother in polite conversation.

I've told my dad in the past that I don't view him as a brother. This got a strong reaction. Were it up to me, he would not be here, but it's not up to me. And I have to put up with it. A large part of it is also worry for the future. He's the eldest son. He's most interested in farming. My dad is old-fashioned and wants to give him his place. He has invested money in the farm, paradoxically at the same time as he robs it blind.

On the flip side, he can't handle his own finances, let alone a farm's.
He's not interested in animals so much as machinery.
If he gets the farm, I certainly won't be welcome - my siblings would probably feel similarly.
He has a different outlook from my dad, morally and aesthetically. He'd cut down the trees and knock down old buildings.

My dad knows all of the negatives above, on some level. But he's in deep, deep denial about it. He keeps trying to "make something" of his son and shape him into a decent human being. He thinks he has succeeded periodically until the next terrible thing he does.

That's my rant over, though frankly, with him, it's only the very tip of the iceberg. The situation is terrible.

P.S. he came in while I wrote this. Some select slurs: "faggot" (I'm not gay) "fat shit" (I'm tall and thin). In conclusion, I hate him. Which doesn't gel with my general personality, but there you have it.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118239 on: May 16, 2020, 01:35:52 pm »

Well, its your brother. Beat him into a pulp and submision. Talk about all this with your dad, in fact all the sibilings should and make clear, abudantly clear your brother is going to fuck up and run the farm into the ground the second he gets the helm. Your dad migth not like it but perhaps if he sees all their other kidd saying this to him he could get a little out from denial.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #118240 on: May 16, 2020, 02:08:23 pm »

Dont tell him that he might take you up to it
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118241 on: May 16, 2020, 02:33:11 pm »

He's stabbed the entire family in the back. I'll give one example in a vast horde. He stole my mum's engagement ring, beat it into a misshapen lump, and pawned it. As a consequence of such acts, he's shunned by much of the family, which leads my dad to be defensive. He does a lot of work on the farm, and they're together a lot. He's nothing like my dad, who is a hard-working and incredibly honest person. But my dad's ideas of blood are even stronger than mine. "He's my son." The upshot is that he gets very touchy when my brother isn't given his place.

You aren't your father's son? I'm not sure I'd recommend directly asking the question that way, but I don't know your situation. Consider what you gain from dealing with them, versus what it costs you (especially in stress).

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118242 on: May 16, 2020, 03:41:18 pm »

I am his son - what "He's my son" means, to my dad, seems to be - "everyone should be prepared to instantly forgive him because he's related closely to us." That's what he does himself. Curse, forgive, strive for redemption, be surprised it doesn't work, curse, forgive, str....

Well, its your brother. Beat him into a pulp and submision. Talk about all this with your dad, in fact all the sibilings should and make clear, abudantly clear your brother is going to fuck up and run the farm into the ground the second he gets the helm. Your dad migth not like it but perhaps if he sees all their other kidd saying this to him he could get a little out from denial.
I operate from a position of knowing my dad extremely well. That wouldn't work.  ;D

As for pulpifying my brother, I have been tempted on more than one occasion, stopped by two things: One, I'm not violent in general. Two, it falls into my dad's 'he's your brother go shoot rainbows and cuddly toys at one another' thing. To clarify, I don't believe violence would be the way to 'solve' my anger anyway. It's largely based on the interplay between him and my dad. Violence would worsen the situation.
Besides, I want him to go away somewhere very far - not be actively hurt.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118243 on: May 16, 2020, 03:52:11 pm »

Six feet under the ground not far enough? I jest.

He sounds like a classic bully though, doing things to get a rise out of people knowing the “authority” won’t do anything about it.

Not sure what your responses are, but brushing it off might be wise, but could also just escalate things if he is a true asshat.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #118244 on: May 16, 2020, 03:56:06 pm »

I am his son - what "He's my son" means, to my dad, seems to be - "everyone should be prepared to instantly forgive him because he's related closely to us." That's what he does himself. Curse, forgive, strive for redemption, be surprised it doesn't work, curse, forgive, str....

I operate from a position of knowing my dad extremely well. That wouldn't work.  ;D

As for pulpifying my brother, I have been tempted on more than one occasion, stopped by two things: One, I'm not violent in general. Two, it falls into my dad's 'he's your brother go shoot rainbows and cuddly toys at one another' thing. To clarify, I don't believe violence would be the way to 'solve' my anger anyway. It's largely based on the interplay between him and my dad. Violence would worsen the situation.
Besides, I want him to go away somewhere very far - not be actively hurt.

Seriously now, apply for that civil service job and get out of there
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 7881 7882 [7883] 7884 7885 ... 8155