Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7888 7889 [7890] 7891 7892 ... 8155

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8559978 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #118335 on: June 05, 2020, 08:48:08 am »

Sometimes progress is like one of those loading bars that spend 90% of their time on that one percentage
Love, scriver~

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118336 on: June 08, 2020, 10:22:58 pm »

I wanted to say that I spent a couple of days not posting in order to see what the forum activity is like. Now I understand why you said what you did -- and thank you, I agree. This isn't quite the same place it used to be anymore, which is ok, just takes some adjusting to.

@lmic -- CPTSD isn't in the DSMV, which is probably a big part of your problem, because the PTSD DX looks for life-threatening circumstances (and is generally not a responsive DX for ongoing psychological abuse). In the meantime there are a lot of good books on the topic which might be able to help you feel better. You can PM me for titles.

Trauma = harm + alienation + helplessness. Change any one of the elements in the eqn and your weather system will get a lot less stormy.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #118337 on: June 08, 2020, 10:37:16 pm »

This isn't quite the same place it used to be anymore, which is ok,

Could you clarify?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #118338 on: June 09, 2020, 01:00:43 am »

Could you clarify?

Well, a lot of people that were regulars before aren't here anymore.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118339 on: June 09, 2020, 01:37:52 am »

Could you clarify?

Well, a lot of people that were regulars before aren't here anymore.

There are probably also more mega-threads over time vs the amount of new individual topics this place used to get, you can notice that by looking at the GD section and noting how many 100+ page threads are on the first page, whereas there used to be more individual topics popping up I believe. but I think that's less of an issue than changes in the userbase. But I've definitely heard from people who've looked at the stats that the number of new threads per month declined a lot over the years.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 01:41:04 am by Reelya »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118340 on: June 09, 2020, 09:37:08 am »

Hmm, well, a lot of things are different. I'm enjoying seeing some familiar faces, but it feels "windy" in here if you know what I mean. A lot of people who I cared about have left. I think when I was younger I was kind of upset about the loss in status, but now I miss seeing everything that my friends once made; I miss their irritating posting styles. And the mathematics thread hasn't had a post in two years! What happened?!

It felt to me like there used to be more young people and more people coming down from the upper boards making jokes about magma and being a nuisance, which was just the right amount of chaos. I miss seeing all the threads where people complained about their high school and college romance problems. There used to just be more: more posters, more forum games, more energy, more playfulness. People wanted to jump on a joke or an idea to participate before it was gone and a thread would move, I dunno, 20 pages while you were off living your life. We would have heated arguments where people from totally different academic and class backgrounds, of different ages, would engage with each other as equals. There were a lot more new threads where people would just go ahead and ask something that they wanted to know about or find some friends to try a new thing with, and then, bang, everyone was cooking or sending postcards or talking about starting a commune :P It was so much fun!

The reason why I'm back for now is for the same reasons that I liked being here in the first place, though: the community is good (read: really nerdy), people are creative, people actually engage with each other here, it feels safe enough.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118341 on: June 09, 2020, 09:37:52 am »

Fuck, my brother in law grandma just died. Sunday she had a heart arritmia and fainted, she fell and broke her hip and finally died of internal hemorrage because we could not find blood donors for her. It really sucks balls.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118342 on: June 09, 2020, 10:22:22 am »

Stocking soda really is like playing tetris. I am the man who arranged the blocks.
Love, scriver~

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118343 on: June 09, 2020, 12:56:07 pm »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118344 on: June 09, 2020, 01:43:13 pm »

Indeed Naturegirl, indeed ;)
Love, scriver~

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118345 on: June 09, 2020, 02:31:13 pm »

Indeed Naturegirl, indeed ;)
I don’t remember if someone posted it here and that’s how I found it, or if Youtube recommended it and I posted it here, either way, it’s what I thought of when I saw your post

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118346 on: June 09, 2020, 02:54:38 pm »

I've been here five years and lurked for longer, and I'm can't say I've noticed anything in particular change around here. I suspect it's just that some people got old and crotchety while I just matured from a stupid kid into a stupid young adult~
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118347 on: June 09, 2020, 02:57:56 pm »

DEATHSWORD2000
Love, scriver~

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #118348 on: June 09, 2020, 03:01:32 pm »

Peak activity was back in '14 and it was thought that continued updates to DF drive traffic to the forum. So far it seems that more people are going inactive/leaving/running afoul of the banhammer than coming in. Personally I think old post-by-post forums like this one have fallen by the wayside as more people tend to prefer Discord, reddit, and the like. Maybe DF Steam will stop the slow stagnation but who knows. It's a bit more intimate, comfy  and easy-going nowadays
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #118349 on: June 09, 2020, 08:00:40 pm »

I’m completely miserable. But sometimes I’m not. I’ll laugh at everything, I’ll talk too much, I’ll go too dark in subject matter, and then it all comes back. I’m quote fond of and quite skilled at social interactions with others, even if only currently via Discord, but I hate being the centre of attention. Every mistake I make is amplified in my mind if it involves any other human being to watch or be affected by it (including on this forum), I basically have nothing keeping me going and I’m unlikely to acquire something anytime soon. I keep on not drawing, D&D looks to be not happening for the forseeable future, playing games or looking at things online only makes me feel like I’m wasting the precious hours of my life, and I get that the antidepressants will kick in in a few weeks, but for now I just hate it all.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.
Pages: 1 ... 7888 7889 [7890] 7891 7892 ... 8155