Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7904 7905 [7906] 7907 7908 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8567094 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #118575 on: July 10, 2020, 06:46:59 pm »

Atlantis predates the internet by at least a millennium.

Lemuria is much more recent, but based on an incorrect interpretation of a land bridge that may have existed during the iceage. It gets its name from the animal fossils that correlate with now physically disconnected regions. There is no concrete evidence to substantiate the confabulation that ancient civilizations existed in the proposed area. Originally, the theory was explicitly about animal populations and land bridges.

Most of the WOOO comes from the 60s and 70s, with the rise of the likes of Unarianism. (Which is concentrated woo indeed.)

The Church of the Subgenius meme is tied to this rise in WOOO prevalence, as an intellectual mockery of it.  Much like LandoverBaptist.org is a thing today.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118576 on: July 10, 2020, 07:08:11 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 03:51:16 pm by dragdeler »
let

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #118577 on: July 10, 2020, 07:20:41 pm »

Plato. And apparently he was just using it as an allegory, not intending it to be interpreted as an actual location.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118578 on: July 10, 2020, 07:39:30 pm »

What helps me remember the word weird is that e goes before i in the alphabet. And that wierd is good with computers, so wired wierd

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118579 on: July 11, 2020, 06:08:38 am »

Finally watched the end of BoJack Horseman.   
Yeah, it got the waterworks going. Not sure if it's just the knowledge that the show's over after all this time, or that the ending was really, really well done, but it hit hard. If you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go try and pull myself together.  :'(   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #118580 on: July 11, 2020, 07:00:09 am »

Atlantis predates the internet by at least a millennium.

Lemuria is much more recent, but based on an incorrect interpretation of a land bridge that may have existed during the iceage. It gets its name from the animal fossils that correlate with now physically disconnected regions. There is no concrete evidence to substantiate the confabulation that ancient civilizations existed in the proposed area. Originally, the theory was explicitly about animal populations and land bridges.

Most of the WOOO comes from the 60s and 70s, with the rise of the likes of Unarianism. (Which is concentrated woo indeed.)

The Church of the Subgenius meme is tied to this rise in WOOO prevalence, as an intellectual mockery of it.  Much like LandoverBaptist.org is a thing today.

What's a wooo, besides possibly a ghost?
Love, scriver~

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118581 on: July 11, 2020, 07:10:15 am »

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118582 on: July 11, 2020, 05:58:12 pm »

My wife just broke her left pinky toe.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118583 on: July 11, 2020, 06:04:38 pm »

Given your situation, and the very high liklihood that you cannot see a physician (and still afford some semblence of food and utilities), I suggest you splint it, then protect the toe against impacts. Monitor the splint to ensure it is not causing contact or pressure injury.  If she is diabetic, there are further complications that could ensue, but I don't think that is the case.  Use a firm material on either side of the toe, wrapped in a soft material to cushion the toe against pressure injury.  (that is, the firm material should be wrapped in soft material (such as foam rubber). It should be above and below the toe to hold it straight. The dressing should be tight enough to stay on, but loose enough to not impede circulation. You basically want to try and replicate this device.)

This is not advice I would normally give. I would normally direct you to a primary care provider.  If you can reasonably see a primary care provider, please do so. While a pinky toe being broken is not life threatening (under most circumstances), it can adversely impact gait on the long term if not addressed.

Good luck. Best wishes.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 06:07:49 pm by wierd »

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118584 on: July 11, 2020, 07:38:56 pm »

Thank you weird. We solved the emergency already, or so I hope. Followed your advice but dressed the pinky along the toe at its side as a guide, and forgot to dress the piece of icecream stick used.

To add insuly to the injury we got a black out like 10 minutes after I posted here while I was dressing the toes and peter just keep crying scared because his mom was hurt so I told him to help me holding the phone as a flashlight.

Power hasnt come back yet. My wife says it doesnt hurt that much and can move the rest of her toes just fine.

I'll check the injury tomorrow to see if it gets swollen beyond the toe or black or start hurting more we'll try to reach out to a doctor.

But I think it will be fine. Was more panic at first than anything. It seems dislocated more than broken.

Spoiler: This is her left foot (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: My magnificent work (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 07:56:11 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118585 on: July 11, 2020, 08:08:53 pm »

If you buddy tape like that, make sure there is something holding the 4th and 5th toes apart in there. Something soft and pliant.

Also, acquaint yourself with the signs and stages of pressure injury, so that you can identify it early, and revise your dressing as needed. If the toe ever becomes reddened, and that redness does NOT blanch (turn white momentarily) after being pressed, assume it is a stage 1 pressure sore, and remove the dressing. (failure to do so can result in the horror show pictures found in that webinar slideshow, as it progresses toward stage 4. You do not want that.)

« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 08:16:16 pm by wierd »

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118586 on: July 11, 2020, 08:15:16 pm »

There's a bit of.... in spanish is gasa, dunno the word in english and google translate is not opening for some reason.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118587 on: July 11, 2020, 08:17:12 pm »

gauze, according to google.

Good.

Just monitor for signs of pressure injury.  I cannot stress that enough.  I would examine it daily.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118588 on: July 11, 2020, 08:21:33 pm »

Thanks weird, really. She says it doesnt feel blood-stopping tight and doesn't feel palpitation on the toe or foot at all, which is a good sign my guess?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118589 on: July 11, 2020, 08:24:26 pm »

prolonged pressure on a bony prominence is how pressure injury happens.  As demonstrated in the slide, even something as benign as a nasal cannula (oxygen tube in the nose) can cause pressure injuries.

You have a makeshift medical device (icecream stick wrapped in gauze), being pressed against a toe, that needs to stay there for a prolonged period of time.  Monitor for pressure injury. For real.
Pages: 1 ... 7904 7905 [7906] 7907 7908 ... 8156