Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7912 7913 [7914] 7915 7916 ... 8155

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8549056 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #118695 on: August 06, 2020, 09:10:24 am »

'Faint smell' is a subjective observation, entirely dependent upon the subject's olfactory acuity.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #118696 on: August 06, 2020, 10:29:26 am »

"Faint smell" is the smell of you voiding your bowels when you fall unconscious
Love, scriver~

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118697 on: August 06, 2020, 10:49:44 am »

Again though you illustrate the subjectivity inherent in our understanding of universal principles. Not only is the subject's olfactory acuity at stake in the determination of scent-strength, so too is there an implied secondary set of data values. A different person, standing mere feet away, would not call it 'faint'.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118698 on: August 06, 2020, 10:51:09 am »

No it's the smell of fainting
Love, scriver~

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118699 on: August 06, 2020, 10:52:33 am »

Do not attempt to obfuscate the matter with sophistry dear fellow  >:(
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118700 on: August 06, 2020, 10:55:00 am »

I don’t think anyone is trying to obfuscate anything. Smell is molecules entering our noses and being interpreted. Different people might call the same smell by different names

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #118701 on: August 06, 2020, 11:06:10 am »

We're just having a fake linguistic war, NG

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118702 on: August 06, 2020, 11:08:23 am »

What is the point of fake wars?

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #118703 on: August 06, 2020, 11:09:50 am »

It amuses us.

Also, practice for the Future War against Bay12's archenemy, Lake6. It is written.

We're probably going to try weaponizing DF in the final confrontation, leading to it becoming sentient and banned, setting off the events of Roll to Roll to Dodge. The faithful will find themselves waking up on the S.S. Periclase, conscripted to aid DF's influence on real-world events and defeat Lake6, who will have had become the MIB from RtRtD.

Given NG's interests, she will probably be recruited as the voice of DF, like a less murderous Root.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 11:25:17 am by Eschar »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118704 on: August 06, 2020, 04:21:26 pm »

So I think what's been happening with my computer is that the nvidya card is gone bad. I might dare take the computer apart and check. But I'm not sure what I'm checking for. I assume it will smell like sulfur and be wrapped in yellow tape if it is no longer functioning.

The saga continues: with a ridiculous amount of violence (a screw was screwed so it didn't screw when I tried to unscrew it so I had to screw the screw up) I opened up the laptop, so if there wasn't anything broken before there probably is now. But yeah I cleaned it out as best I could (it was disgusting) and I took a look at what I think was the graphics cards. One had a barely legible Nvidia on it so I assume that was it. It smelled like plastic and metal and shit but there's no telling if that's what it's supposed to smell like for me. In my ignoramus mind j had been hoping for burn marks but I guess it can't be thay easy ;)

So anyway I put it all back together (minus the one screw. There's no putting anything back in that place) and the laptop turned on again so that was nice, I didn't ruin it entirely despite taking a hammer to it. No noticeable differences, slightly less quick to freeze, it seemed, but still blackscreens flickering by at times. But I don't think the Nvidia card is working. But hell it could be the processor or RAM too for all I know. I barely know the difference between vidya cads and RAM anyway.

But anyway I did a computer check thingy again just to see if it could give me any lesds and it showed everything fine, but when it got to the video cards the computer died without warning. So it's probably the card. I feel that's a reasonable conclusion to make at this point.

Edit; yeah I spoke too soon. After that last crash it crashes without even a bluescreen as soon as it loads the desktop. So I managed to make everything worse after all ;)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 04:45:00 pm by scriver »
Love, scriver~

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #118705 on: August 06, 2020, 07:10:13 pm »

The faithful will find themselves waking up on the S.S. Periclase, conscripted to aid DF's influence on real-world events and defeat Lake6, who will have had become the MIB from RtRtD.

Remember the S.S. Microcline!
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118706 on: August 06, 2020, 11:16:16 pm »

So anyway I put it all back together (minus the one screw. There's no putting anything back in that place) and the laptop turned on again so that was nice, I didn't ruin it entirely despite taking a hammer to it. No noticeable differences, slightly less quick to freeze, it seemed, but still blackscreens flickering by at times. But I don't think the Nvidia card is working. But hell it could be the processor or RAM too for all I know. I barely know the difference between vidya cads and RAM anyway.

Laptops mostly use integrated video (the type you find built into a motherboard). These use intergrated memory. i.e. they share the system memory. So a memory fault could look like a video card fault in those circumstances. There are memory testing tools, and there are Windows boot options that restrict how much memory can be used and mark found bad memory addresses.

However what I suggest you do is look at the bios. You may be able to reduce the amount of shared memory the video card uses. It would take a bit of luck, but you never know.

There may also be memory timing options, if you're lucky. you can increase these - that makes it slower, gives more leeway on the timings.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118707 on: August 06, 2020, 11:22:06 pm »

Dumbass question--

When reassembled, did you apply fresh thermal compound? Please say yes.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #118708 on: August 07, 2020, 02:39:39 am »

I´m feeling rather apathetic about everything
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118709 on: August 07, 2020, 02:43:51 am »

Apathy and ennui are not the same thing. Related, but not the same thing.

The person with ennui may actually want excitement, but the person with apathy does not since they really don't care one way or the other.

:)

Since you seem to care very much about many things that are getting you down, I suspect ennui. :P
Pages: 1 ... 7912 7913 [7914] 7915 7916 ... 8155