Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7922 7923 [7924] 7925 7926 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8569195 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #118845 on: September 09, 2020, 07:25:43 am »

Covid's going to eat them alive
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #118846 on: September 09, 2020, 07:00:53 pm »

Note that Moria was build to house about 4000 refugees, and by now over 13000 were holed up in there.
Self-correction: Moria is built to house less than 3000 refugees, at the refugee peak not too long before corona it housed 20000, mostly Syrians and Afghans.
Now it houses 0, it burned down to the ground. At least 13000 homeless refugees are now trying to find shelter somewhere on the island (which has a native population of 86000).

https://www.volkskrant.nl/nieuws-achtergrond/hoe-de-vluchtelingen-van-moria-bekneld-raakten-tussen-internationale-belangen~bf051b2c/

According to Doctors Without Borders, no lethal casualties have yet been reported, but any burn victims will not be treated because there are no medical facilities left.
The new emergency medical center that was funded with dutch money and opened 2 weeks ago has burned down to the ground as well.
Greek authorities have deployed riot police to stop refugees from trying to find food, water and shelter.  Tear gas has been deployed.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 07:13:38 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118847 on: September 09, 2020, 07:41:09 pm »

Coming in on this page without context and seeing people discussing the refugee capacity of Moria was quite a trip.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #118848 on: September 09, 2020, 07:43:01 pm »

Coming in on this page without context and seeing people discussing the refugee capacity of Moria was quite a trip.   
I mean, it's not surprising that it burned down, though. They dug too greedily, and too deep.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118849 on: September 09, 2020, 07:52:47 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 03:54:44 pm by dragdeler »
let

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118850 on: September 09, 2020, 10:13:54 pm »

Hopefully, this pushes the greek government to actually do something about the conditions.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118851 on: September 09, 2020, 10:23:39 pm »

Hopefully, this pushes the greek government to actually do something about the conditions.
Most likely something like "send in the military and push them all back into the ocean".

I mean, I assume that's what you wanted. I don't know what else you would have realistically expected.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #118852 on: September 10, 2020, 07:09:45 am »

Most likely something like "send in the military and push them all back into the ocean".

I mean, I assume that's what you wanted. I don't know what else you would have realistically expected.

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect any government to treat any of their charges as human beings.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #118853 on: September 10, 2020, 07:27:16 am »

Depends a lot on the resources of said government. Right now we have a situation where a government stripped beyond reason by Germany is forced to take care of people who want to go to Germany under the system put in place by Germany in order to profit Germany.

I say make the Germans pay.
Love, scriver~

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118854 on: September 10, 2020, 09:19:25 am »

I have now four jobs.... all with different incomes that vary themselves depending on luck far more than my skill. This is a source of anxiety far more than I like or even used to.

I feel like is spinning plates because thanks to lack of gasoline, and the intermitent electricity and internet makes me consider every ounce of time to invest on each of them.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118855 on: September 10, 2020, 02:20:56 pm »

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect any government to treat any of their charges as human beings.
It may not be unreasonable, but it is certainly unrealistic.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #118856 on: September 10, 2020, 03:49:06 pm »

I wonder if the Banksy Boat's still too overburdened to sail so.ewhere. reckon we could make a floating refugee nation.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #118857 on: September 10, 2020, 04:30:18 pm »

It may not be unreasonable, but it is certainly unrealistic.
In what way is it unrealistic?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118858 on: September 10, 2020, 04:34:48 pm »

It presumes a fundamental feature of the human psyche is not real, and does not manifest in mainstream politics.

namely,

In group > Out Group

It is unrealistic to expect any behavior out of aggregate humanity (though it could be expected from individual humans on a case by case basis, if they are properly trained) that deviates from that feature set's maxim.  As such, any group of foreign refugees will be treated as an underclass.  Anything else is unreasonable to expect, because that is not how humans act in aggregate.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #118859 on: September 10, 2020, 05:13:47 pm »

Also, countries like Germany, France, and the Netherlands, who do have a base willingness to welcome refugees, are afraid to do so because they fear it will make right-wing populists use it to win the next elections.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 7922 7923 [7924] 7925 7926 ... 8156