Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7923 7924 [7925] 7926 7927 ... 8153

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8473434 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #118860 on: September 16, 2020, 12:33:16 am »

One of the new cat's kittens appears to have fucking died. Don't know how. There were only four of the adorable little fuckers to begin with and the mother cat's been getting shitloads of food. Actually, for all I know more than one is dead - I couldn't bear to check. One of them came out of the cat carrier/box-thing to look at me and I gave him/her a pat, so at least one of them is alive, but I just shoved the mama cat in there to do her fucking job and care for the survivors before coming upstairs to, I don't know, get drunk probably.   
I just wanna scream at everyone who isn't me for not doing the slightest thing to look after them. My stupid fucking brother is visiting, this is probably his fault somehow. Nobody had even been checking on them apart from me, and I don't think I've been down there since he turned up, necessitating my going out of my to avoid interactions with him. I'm this close to taking out the cat's presumable parenting failures on myself. Why, gods?! Why Nameless Kitten #3? TAKE ME INSTEAD YOU CELESTIAL SHITHEADS.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #118861 on: September 16, 2020, 12:54:11 am »

One of the new cat's kittens appears to have fucking died. Don't know how. There were only four of the adorable little fuckers to begin with and the mother cat's been getting shitloads of food. Actually, for all I know more than one is dead - I couldn't bear to check. One of them came out of the cat carrier/box-thing to look at me and I gave him/her a pat, so at least one of them is alive, but I just shoved the mama cat in there to do her fucking job and care for the survivors before coming upstairs to, I don't know, get drunk probably.   
I just wanna scream at everyone who isn't me for not doing the slightest thing to look after them. My stupid fucking brother is visiting, this is probably his fault somehow. Nobody had even been checking on them apart from me, and I don't think I've been down there since he turned up, necessitating my going out of my to avoid interactions with him. I'm this close to taking out the cat's presumable parenting failures on myself. Why, gods?! Why Nameless Kitten #3? TAKE ME INSTEAD YOU CELESTIAL SHITHEADS.   
It's your fault Yoink. In your heart you know it is. God knows what you did.

There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118862 on: September 16, 2020, 01:20:41 am »

Pfft. If that was true the population would be so far into negative numbers that no new kittens would be born until 2048.   

...Part of me is mad that you made light of my Sad and tricked me into making a joke, part of me appreciates that you brought some humour to this depressing situation. I don't know.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #118863 on: September 16, 2020, 02:50:43 am »

The sad fact of the matter is that kittens are really bad at living. The infant mortality rate for kittens is staggering, a fact with which I have also become excessively well-acquainted over the past several years. So if it helps, it's probably not anyone's fault, just some obscure combination of unlucky genetics and ubiquitous disease that couldn't have been helped.

That said, it is really important that you now check to confirm and remove any other casualties to avoid spreading disease to the others.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118864 on: September 16, 2020, 04:07:16 am »

That said, it is really important that you now check to confirm and remove any other casualties to avoid spreading disease to the others.
Yeah, that's sorted. I'm trying very hard not to get my hopes up but at least the two survivors are better situated now.   
I don't know if the mother is too old to produce enough milk or something (not actually sure how old she is), but I fed the remaining kittens using a plastic syringe and a mixture of water+milk since they didn't seem to be getting anything from her. Well, apart from warmth, since to my relief she is now in the box snuggling with them at least. I know, not very vegan of me, har de har, it's not my cat in the first place I'm just tryna keep her babies alive.   
Oh, and before I had the syringe I managed to give both at least a little milk by squeezing it out of a cloth into their mouths.   

One of the two seemed at first to be right on death's doorstep, in fact I thought it might have been dead already, but when I picked him/her up to try and feed 'em they proved to be surprisingly feisty. This tiny half-dead kitten literally managed to shake me off several times as I tried to feed it. That's a hopeful sign, at least.   
Meanwhile the other one is just generally still acting like a kitten, running around and pouncing at things.   

Again, not getting my hopes up, there's no guarantee that even these two will make it, but I'm gonna keep doing what I can.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118865 on: September 16, 2020, 06:24:04 am »

Good luck.

And obviously cats are not by nature vegan and I don't even think anyone would have teased you for that. :P

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #118866 on: September 16, 2020, 07:09:10 am »

I'd definitely say that it is vegan of you since cats are not human you know.

However I would caution against using cow milk as kittens have a hard time tolerating the high lactose content. If you can get it there is usually special "kitten milk" substitutes stuff to be bought from stores.
Love, scriver~

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #118867 on: September 16, 2020, 07:50:04 am »

Commendable work, Yoink. Well done. Sorry to hear about the first kitten, but you're giving them every chance you can.

Can confirm there's specual kitten milk though. I tend to see it in little cardboard containers in pet aisles.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118868 on: September 16, 2020, 10:37:11 am »

However I would caution against using cow milk as kittens have a hard time tolerating the high lactose content. If you can get it there is usually special "kitten milk" substitutes stuff to be bought from stores.
Yeah, we're going to get some of that in the morning, assuming they make it. Just had to use what was handy.   
I did water it down, though, at my mother's suggestion. Hopefully that toned it down a bit. As of a few minutes ago they were both still kicking, and the mother cat has been spending plenty of time with them. She also seems to be producing milk again, so who knows, maybe whatever was wrong in that regard has passed and they'll have a better shot at pulling through.   

The "vegan" thing I was referring to was in regards to me getting my hands dirty, soaking rags/filling syringes with cow milk and squeezing it into the kittens, haha. Worth it since it seems to have helped them somewhat. Now I guess I'll just keep checking on them regularly and encouraging mama cat to spend time with 'em every so often.   
Thanks for the well-wishes and advice, y'all. Hopefully they keep hanging in there.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118869 on: September 16, 2020, 05:27:58 pm »

She also seems to be producing milk again, so who knows, maybe whatever was wrong in that regard has passed and they'll have a better shot at pulling through.
Cats will intentionally refuse to nurse kittens with poor health in order to conserve resources for healthier kittens or for potential future litters if the whole set turns out bad. It's very possible that what was wrong in that case was that she could tell the other two weren't going to make it for unrelated reasons. Most likely, if she was in an open area instead of a carrier, she would've pushed the other two "out of the nest", too: I've seen that happen many times.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118870 on: September 16, 2020, 08:00:45 pm »

That's kinda shit. :(   

In less-sad news, though, both of them survived the night. I mean, I only left them alone long enough to get three or four hours' sleep, but still I honestly did not expect the smaller, sicker one to be alive. In fact, he or she has improved noticeably and can actually move around now, whereas last night it practically dead.   

One thing I only noticed last night, later on, was that the kittens were infested with fleas. I only spotted them when I happened to look under one of their chins, then when I started parting the fur to look there was flea dirt everywhere. According to the internet, in very small kittens flea infestations can actually be fatal, due to anaemia caused by blood loss.   
This is horrifying. I hadn't been handling the kittens much or I might have noticed this earlier, before they started, you know, dying. Not that I know for sure that this is what did for them, the "mother's milk drying up because she's kind of an older cat" theory is still up there, too.   

In any case, I treated them both with this spray-on "flea rid" we had lying around. This was a very unpleasant task, especially since at that point the weaker of the two was completely limp and I had to turn it over to check that it was even alive a few times during the procedure, since it felt like I was rubbing flea treatment into something already dead. It had this resigned expression and everything and I had pretty much given up on it, but somehow today it's still hanging on, considerably improved - though "considerably improved" doesn't mean too much considering it was basically dead. It's not out of the woods, yet.   
The other one was wriggling and whinging quite normally as I put the stuff on it. They're so small that I had to spray the stuff onto my fingertips and rub it in that way for the most part.   

I can't see evidence of fleas on either of them this morning, so maybe that was a good idea I guess? Who knows.   

We'll be getting some kitten milk formula in a little while, so hopefully that helps get them better. I'm pretty sure those products are generally fortified with stuff like iron, right? That ought to help with any anaemia. In my entirely unqualified opinion.   
If not, I might try and convince my mother to part with a few drops of the iron tonic she usually has in the fridge.   

...Yeah, that's pretty much where we're at now. I don't really have any other Sads since they're all blotted out by this ongoing saga.   
The livelier one is adorable, though. It came marching out of the cat box earlier when I first checked on them, squeaking at me before even taking a swipe at my hand. Bear in mind that these things are friggin' tiny. Then later it was indulging its love of climbing and had made it about halfway up the side of the cot they're in, meowing fiercely to the heavens like some kind of very tiny King Kong.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118871 on: September 16, 2020, 09:06:54 pm »

While flea infestations can be fatal on their own, fleas are basically ambush predators - they're mobile like mosquitos instead of attaching to a single host like lice - and will absolutely target the weak, so you can expect to see lots of fleas in a situation like this anyway. It's impossible to tell whether they are the cause or just opportunistic. Killing them off can't hurt, though, as long as you have a flea treatment that's safe for kittens that age.

It sounds like the livelier one is likely to survive, at least. Again, good luck.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118872 on: September 17, 2020, 03:14:16 am »

Been watching some animal rescue videos recently. Like who the fuck does this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jug2ZrTnQ4

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #118873 on: September 17, 2020, 03:20:22 am »

So a thing I ordered hasn't arrived, been late for over a month. Was willing to wait since the shipping situation is kinda shit now and it wasn't anything urgent. Finally I decided that it probably isn't arriving so I go to ask for a refund.

Seller isn't registered anymore (seems to have closed down shop in the last month or so for whatever reason) and I'm 10 days late to get the money back from ebay itself. So I guess I'm out 60$ now :I
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118874 on: September 17, 2020, 07:01:04 am »

You know whats tiring? Cooking in a wood stove like if we were in a farm. I swear everytime I think time travel to the past as far less funny.

Also we are officially out of gasoline in the state... this shall be fun, if not for the impending scarcity.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!
Pages: 1 ... 7923 7924 [7925] 7926 7927 ... 8153