Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7933 7934 [7935] 7936 7937 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8567377 times)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #119010 on: November 11, 2020, 07:56:54 am »

I liked Narnia when I read it - which was when I was like...8 maybe? I blew through the series which prepped me for the harder reading that was Tolkien. That said, it didn't impact me in any way - perhaps only instilling a love of fantasy, but arguably that was already present.

I tried going back to Lewis in adulthood - both the childrens books and the religious/philosophical stuff and found it all a bit shallow for my liking.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #119011 on: November 11, 2020, 07:58:26 am »

I found it asinine as a kid. A quick revisit as an adult also evidenced the preachy undertones and made it annoying as well.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #119012 on: November 11, 2020, 08:23:37 am »

I was absolutely enchanted by Narnia, read all of the books (but had problems with The Magician's Nephew and
The Last Battle, both which I skipped large parts of), and absolutely loved the British t.v. series from the 80's (I think) -- to this day I absolutely love the theme music. I come from a very casual atheist/non-practicing home so the overt Christian overtones was not any different to me than how other fantasy settings did things with pantheistic deities and the like, just a fantasy with a monotheist setting instead of pantheistic.
Love, scriver~

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #119013 on: November 11, 2020, 08:26:50 am »

I enjoyed them a lot. The religious bits didn't bother me. I found them helpful in understanding Christian thought in later years.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119014 on: November 11, 2020, 07:51:12 pm »

Narnia was one of my favorite book series as a little kid. Even growing up in a Christian home I don't think I paid much attention to all the allegory until later in life. I was more interested in the fantasy tones. Jadis/The White Witch was quite the villainess.

The Last Battle is DARK though, at times.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #119015 on: November 11, 2020, 08:30:32 pm »

I hope someone finishes adapting the remaining Narnia books someday. I've always wanted to see Charn on screen.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #119016 on: November 11, 2020, 08:39:58 pm »

I don't remember narnia except for turkish delight.  And the real candy tasted awful.

But I did order the other book, it should arrive on sunday, they say.

In fact, send me many book recs of any sort.  I need a fairly constant supply of reading material for work.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119017 on: November 11, 2020, 08:45:34 pm »

I fucking lost my wallet. And somehow related, it seems my wife lost her bank debit card and her ID.

We suspect pete migth have been playing with my wallet and her card and ID and somewhat missplaced them. but we cant find it any were. So maybe he put it on some garbage can and we trew it away.

I had my ID in there, along my driver's licence, $1, and some other papers.... it is curious my bank debit card is actually still around and not lost with the wallet.

Getting new ID's for us will be a major pain in the ass and probably will not be even possible for a long time. And you can easily get in trouble for simply walking around without it. Also they are the most basic a foremost requirement for EVERYTHING you want to do.

I.E. I wont be able to get a new drivers licence or my wife wont be able to get a new bank card without our ID's.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119018 on: November 11, 2020, 09:17:34 pm »

My little guy has absolutely done that to me. And mine is non-verbal, so he can't even tell me where. He just sits there and looks cute about it.

He also put my car key down the toilet. It cost 200$ to replace because I had nothing to make a copy of.

I sympathize, fellow Dad.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #119019 on: November 11, 2020, 09:23:17 pm »

I had recent trouble proving citizenship/right to work when my job changed hands, because my birth certificate was misplaced.  Had to wait a week for a new one.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119020 on: November 11, 2020, 09:28:12 pm »

Hahaha, thanks fellow dad! He just told us he was playing with my wallet, but no further than that.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119021 on: November 12, 2020, 11:11:46 am »

Narnia was one of my favorite book series as a little kid. Even growing up in a Christian home I don't think I paid much attention to all the allegory until later in life. I was more interested in the fantasy tones. Jadis/The White Witch was quite the villainess.

The Last Battle is DARK though, at times.

Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119022 on: November 12, 2020, 02:40:34 pm »

Funny thing is I was completely oblivious to any religious stuff in Narnia, coming from an atheist family I had no frame of reference for any of that so just read it as pure fantasy. I did notice some racist stuff in one of the books related to another kingdom based on Islam/middle eastern people though.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #119023 on: November 12, 2020, 02:42:33 pm »

Less racist, more stereotypical. IIRC. It has been a while...
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119024 on: November 12, 2020, 03:08:58 pm »

I screw up stupidly for not checking carefully some info and so far managed to waste people time, effort and money. While is not a complete waste of money since what has been bougth can still be used in the furture. It still a wast of time and efftot at least a unnecesary purchase rigth now.

While the person that put the money told me is okay, I cant still avoid feeling like a jerk for making him buy something that rigth now is a very expensive but useless thing.

All the while there is people in dire need and I can not do jack shit about it.

Fuck....
Pages: 1 ... 7933 7934 [7935] 7936 7937 ... 8156