Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7868 7869 [7870]

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 5277302 times)

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #118035 on: June 02, 2020, 06:29:37 pm »

Iíve wanted to get into art for my entire life. But I just canít. I canít bring myself to pick up a pencil and do it. My birthday is in a while, and I thought that the prospect of getting another year older would be enough to scare me into doing it would be enough, but apparently not. The closest thing to a reason Iíve been able to find is that I doubt that any amount of practice or work would ever be able to make my drawing skills even passable. Would anyone have any advice? Iíd stick this on the life advice subforum but posting a second thread there feels like a much worse social crime than just sticking it here, and itís definitely making me sad, so overall I feel no guilt for this, at least not yet. Give it a few minutes and Iíll be paranoid that everyoneís judging me.

I'm not an artist in any capacity, so I don't really know what getting into art would necessarily mean or what your objectives are. All that I can say is that this post reminded me of life in school, and how for at least half my life drawing was a small part of most days (doodling all over notes during class), but at some point I stopped and haven't drawn anything since. It's actually made me sad myself to realize it; I think I'll try getting in the habit of doodling again.

Maybe try starting again back where you left off, in an off-hand moment rather than trying to focus 100% on it.

Here's my first attempt:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 06:31:25 pm by WealthyRadish »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #118036 on: June 02, 2020, 06:59:49 pm »

Iíve wanted to get into art for my entire life. But I just canít. I canít bring myself to pick up a pencil and do it. My birthday is in a while, and I thought that the prospect of getting another year older would be enough to scare me into doing it would be enough, but apparently not. The closest thing to a reason Iíve been able to find is that I doubt that any amount of practice or work would ever be able to make my drawing skills even passable. Would anyone have any advice? Iíd stick this on the life advice subforum but posting a second thread there feels like a much worse social crime than just sticking it here, and itís definitely making me sad, so overall I feel no guilt for this, at least not yet. Give it a few minutes and Iíll be paranoid that everyoneís judging me.
If you can't get into art, get into politics instead.
Viva Pinata establishes that the things bothering you in life are weeds that have to be killed. Bejewelled puts you into a coldly calculating mindset. In KSP you learn how to build and operate a ballistic missile.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118037 on: June 02, 2020, 07:38:24 pm »

But only after you survive a world war. How do you feel about huge square tanks?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118038 on: June 02, 2020, 09:39:06 pm »

I have the same issue basically, I'm good as music and programming, would like to do art but I don't have the basic skills to get started to the point where I could draw something that I'd feel was remotely passable. Like you, not really sure how to go about "getting into it".

Still working this out myself, but with programming, the best way to get started, initially, is to have some thing you want to make. You'll fail at making it but attempting to make it will get you started learning to program, because you'll see what's missing then have to research and experiment with stuff to make it work. After this first mega-project invariable explodes into flames you're best-off making a bunch of mini-projects and following a bunch of tutorials, but you kind need the big-project-that-fails first before you just jump in and do tutorials. Just doing a bunch of programming tutorials to "learn to be a programmer" without any idea what you want to program afterwards will likely be fruitless and you'll give up since you won't see where it's all heading. The reason it works in a classroom setting is that the teachers force you to do the work, else fail. But if you're learning yourself, you can't follow the "classroom model" since that relies on an external agent forcing you to do drills in a guided fashion. For self-learning you need to be project-based.

The same with e.g. learning guitar. If you just did a bunch of guitar practice drills and scales without any idea of what type of music you want to make, i can see that exploding in flames too. You have to play shitty metal or shitty punk, then you do the practice stuff, and you apply those skills back to the style you want to do.

I'm guessing drawing is the same, you need to have some reason, some thing you want to draw, before you get started. Like, start a story and draw a really bad comic. Then drawing the next panel of the comic is what keeps you going. Then rather than just doing drawing tutorials for the sake of "drawing skills" you'd be picking up new skills then working out how to apply them to your "comic" (which nobody other than yourself may ever read).
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 09:53:09 pm by Reelya »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118039 on: June 02, 2020, 09:49:16 pm »

Well, I understand that there can be extra "protection" or prejudice of that sort given to white people by police over other ethnicities, just I don't see how that fits semantically/logically into that particular sentence... Toady seems to be implying this "protection" he's referring to is on the surface desirable but is not worth the continued persecution of minorities in this country, which doesn't fit with that sort of protection you were talking about.

If "not getting murdered when other people would have been" isn't a good enough protection, then why does anyone care about superman?
No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118040 on: June 03, 2020, 01:17:09 am »

Clone Hitlers then it's ok to kill them because they're Hitler. Use the meat for a chain of Hitler burger shops.

"Welcome to ‹bermunch, can I take your executive order?"
I've just started re-watching Santa Clarita Diet and this is very relevant.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118041 on: June 03, 2020, 08:19:09 am »

Clone Hitlers then it's ok to kill them because they're Hitler. Use the meat for a chain of Hitler burger shops.

"Welcome to ‹bermunch, can I take your executive order?"
I've just started re-watching Santa Clarita Diet and this is very relevant.   
Itís sad that that show ended
Pages: 1 ... 7868 7869 [7870]