Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7946 7947 [7948] 7949 7950 ... 8155

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8555555 times)

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #119205 on: December 25, 2020, 03:03:13 pm »

Iirc the Welsh alphabet still has double U be a UU rather than a VV, which is why we should let the welsh alphabet decide everything

Think of the "oo" in book, or "w" in wet. We don't even have a "v", let alone 2 of them.
This is a blank sig.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #119206 on: December 25, 2020, 04:11:27 pm »

buuk

Anyway what I mean is that is how it used to be everywhere, that's why it's called a dubble U and not a double V (although in my language it is called a double V). Or so assumed since when I remember taking caligraphy class and in the first style -- Carolingian iirc -- featured the double U as a UU and that was the first time I made the connection behind the English name. Then over time it turned into a VV instead.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2020, 04:14:19 pm by scriver »
Love, scriver~

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #119207 on: December 25, 2020, 05:45:51 pm »

Nashville bombing today.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119208 on: December 25, 2020, 05:59:41 pm »

Yeah wtf with that? Its fucking horrible. Have not be able to read much about it.

Nevertheless, my condolences to your country.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #119209 on: December 25, 2020, 08:12:31 pm »

As of yet, there are no certain fatalities or known motive. Witness reports of gunshots appear to be erroneous - more likely the sounds were the first set of detonators failing to set off the charge.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119210 on: December 26, 2020, 09:51:14 am »

I don't know about that, didn't the supposed gunshots happen before the 15-minute warning recording started?   
Reminds me of how various domestic terrorist organisations over the years have tried to warn people away from their bombing sites beforehand, either out of a genuine desire not to harm people or simply to avoid bad PR. Only in this case it was a bit more high tech than just calling in a bomb threat, I guess?   

Still not sure what the deal with the gunshots was, though. Maybe the perpetrator(s) fired a weapon to attract attention before arming the bomb and skedaddling. Who knows. Will be interesting to see if any group/groups claim this attack, or if it was just some lone nutcase (who may be the source of the human remains that were allegedly found at the site).   
Apparently this took place outside a phone/internet provider and has damaged the local communications network (including 911 calls!), so perhaps it could be a distraction for something else.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #119211 on: December 26, 2020, 10:27:28 am »

There are no reports of gunshot wounds, and nobody has reported bullet damage to buildings. People whp have compared the video to a failed bombing from a few years ago (where then detobators failed to set off the charge entirely) say the sound is thhe same.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119212 on: December 26, 2020, 10:37:36 am »

The fact that a recorded voice warned people to evacuate and then counted down until the explosion seems pretty intentional to me...   
At least, that's what I've read happened, and apparently there is footage of it.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #119213 on: December 27, 2020, 06:40:36 am »

Stiiiiiiiill can't speak

It was a Silent Night Christmas.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119214 on: December 27, 2020, 06:54:17 am »

-
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 01:18:13 pm by dragdeler »
let

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #119215 on: December 27, 2020, 02:40:03 pm »

I feel dead and anxious.

Now, I'm not very knowledgeable about feelings, but I'm pretty sure this is a bad thing.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #119216 on: December 27, 2020, 03:04:52 pm »

I feel dead and anxious.

Now, I'm not very knowledgeable about feelings, but I'm pretty sure this is a bad thing.
I find it's useful to go through the standard checklist:
1. Are you well-fed with good food?
2. Are you well-rested with good sleep?
3. Are you well-worn with good exercise?
4. Are you well (no diseases, known or unknown)?

Number 4 is very important too, because often physical ailments can cause emotional changes which get misascribed to life problems. Like the one chap whose therapist thought unresolved childhood trauma was causing his lethargy but actually it was a brain tumour.
Once you've gone through the obvious questions, how are you doing m8?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119217 on: December 27, 2020, 03:45:45 pm »

I feel dead and anxious.

I find it's useful to go through the standard checklist:
1. Are you well-fed with good food?
2. Are you well-rested with good sleep?
3. Are you well-worn with good exercise?
4. Are you well (no diseases, known or unknown)?

I want to add to this with a link that I have found valuable. It's not just for you, Eschar, I'm also posting it for anyone else in the forums who experiences extremely bad moods without always knowing why.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #119218 on: December 27, 2020, 03:58:43 pm »

That site looks lovely, but right off the bat I'm noticing that it might be a bit tricky for someone with an eating disorder. I'm trying to help care for and support someone who has such a disorder, and making sure she gets food in her is almost always a very difficult, painful prospect. For everyone. The wording of the first food questions would probably stop the whole thing in its tracks before the ball even gets rolling.

...as an aside, I'm sad because I don't know what to do about/with/for this individual.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119219 on: December 27, 2020, 04:05:31 pm »

Thanks for the caveat, it's always good to have that in mind. I was thinking about it from a PTSD/depression/addiction angle (more prevalent in my social circle).

Best of luck with your friend. I'm sorry to say that I don't have advice, but I hope somebody else here can help.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 7946 7947 [7948] 7949 7950 ... 8155