Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7953 7954 [7955] 7956 7957 ... 8153

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8471310 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #119310 on: January 16, 2021, 04:04:54 am »

No. Scientists are really suggesting that runaway effects will go in earnest by then.

https://www.livescience.com/ghastly-future-global-crises.html

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2021/01/210113144456.htm

None of this is likely to kill someone in a developed country in the next ten years. Longer than that? Yep. Right now? Nope.
You're wrong, of course. It's already killing bunches of people in the developed world
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #119311 on: January 16, 2021, 05:26:44 am »

Sure. But not so that someone who isn't already feeling the effects can say they'll be dead in a decade so confidently they should quit their job.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #119312 on: January 16, 2021, 09:44:50 am »

We are too many.  I am starting to lean more and more to supporting a global limit of 1 child per person (so for a couple, that's two kids).
Enforced with mandatory contraceptives.
This will bring world population down, because there will be plenty enough people who have 1, or no children voluntarily.

It might sound bad, but the alternatives to cull human population (whether by the hands of man or by force of nature) are much much worse.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #119313 on: January 16, 2021, 10:00:10 am »

We are too many.  I am starting to lean more and more to supporting a global limit of 1 child per person (so for a couple, that's two kids).
Enforced with mandatory contraceptives.
This will bring world population down, because there will be plenty enough people who have 1, or no children voluntarily.

It might sound bad, but the alternatives to cull human population (whether by the hands of man or by force of nature) are much much worse.
Jesus wept. And this from the guy that was decrying me as a totalitarian DDR sympathizer for supporting Taiwanese style virus suppression. 🙄

No offense, but have you ever considered that your worldviews might suffer from a lack of self-consistency? I don't see any way to reconcile decrying a lockdown during an immediate crisis as something abhorrently repressive and advocating goverment control of citizen's reproductive organs in the same breath.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #119314 on: January 16, 2021, 10:06:50 am »

I have never decried a lockdown. I am 100% in favour of stern measures, but with a limit, namely constitution and citizen's rights.
I have opposed your view that our governments don't do enough, yes. I consider our lockdown already pretty stern.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119315 on: January 16, 2021, 11:36:46 am »

OK, well, this is going to sound really dumb, but he's worried about AI going amuck and is planning to work unpaid on controlling that somehow?

look, I never said that my friends were smart, just that the conversation made me sad
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #119316 on: January 16, 2021, 12:00:55 pm »

Honestly as far as things to cause me acute death in the next decade go I can certainly understand putting AI above climate change.

...I mean, I've spent enough time in AI research to really question whether that's the best use of his time unless the government is doing a really good job of keeping the fun stuff off arxiv, but one of these things is more predictable than the other.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #119317 on: January 16, 2021, 12:02:59 pm »

I'm too dumb for AI to be any danger to me.
Love, scriver~

Secretdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119318 on: January 16, 2021, 01:28:19 pm »

OK, well, this is going to sound really dumb, but he's worried about AI going amuck and is planning to work unpaid on controlling that somehow?

look, I never said that my friends were smart, just that the conversation made me sad
He's been reading too many apocalyptic theory blogs like me.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #119319 on: January 16, 2021, 04:05:54 pm »

namely constitution and citizen's rights.

What part of "state-run fertility police" isn't anathema to both constitution and citizens' rights? As they currently stand, of course.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #119320 on: January 16, 2021, 06:43:54 pm »

I guess current constitution wouldn't allow it, no.
As for citizen's rights, it doesn't take away the right to have children and reproduce, it just puts a reasonable limit on it, so there is some planet left for the next generations.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #119321 on: January 16, 2021, 07:13:40 pm »

Families in the USA are currently subsidized in many ways.  We could roll back some of those subsidies, particularly for large families, without infringing on anyone's rights (current children would obviously be "grandfathered in" to the subsidies.  For fairness, and also because it's *new* births we want to stop encouraging).

Far nicer *and* more effective is properly funding (and allowing, FFS) family-planning options and education.  Financial hardship hasn't historically stopped people from having children, but people tend to have smaller families when they're given the fair choice.

Also adoption should be generally encouraged and supported more than it already is.  It's a form of helping the community, and it should be seen as such.  Or we could just turn couples away for being LGBTQ I guess (fuck'n Trump...)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #119322 on: January 16, 2021, 07:41:46 pm »

Don't developed countries already have low birth rates? They need immigration to keep up with labor demand.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #119323 on: January 16, 2021, 07:55:56 pm »

Don't developed countries already have low birth rates? They need immigration to keep up with labor demand.

Basically.

Most forms of pop control are "we need less people poorer than me" with a scooby doo villain mask on, anyways.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #119324 on: January 16, 2021, 07:59:04 pm »

Which is a win-win!  Immigrants get to share in the proceeds of colonialism (starting at the ground floor, for now, but megawealth is untenable), and global population growth evens out by choice rather than force, war, or die-off.  It's certainly better than Americans feeling pressured to have a half-dozen children to work their farms while exploiting other nations.

Edit:  THIS vvv!  Education is proven to help reduce family size far more than financial difficulty does.  Plus the access to family planning options too.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 08:01:04 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 7953 7954 [7955] 7956 7957 ... 8153