Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7954 7955 [7956] 7957 7958 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8569606 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #119325 on: January 16, 2021, 07:59:21 pm »

Maternal education is one of the things that massively drives down fertility . . . so what we really need is more AFABs with PhDs :P
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119326 on: January 16, 2021, 08:02:22 pm »

Education, as with most things in life is the real answer. (Violence and alcohol are the other answers).

This is relevant:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QsBT5EQt348&vl=de

This too:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NMo3nZHVrZ4

And this too and is interactive!
http://www.overpopulation.world/
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 08:06:50 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #119327 on: January 16, 2021, 08:14:28 pm »

Don't developed countries already have low birth rates? They need immigration to keep up with labor demand.
Which is a win-win!  Immigrants get to share in the proceeds of colonialism (starting at the ground floor, for now, but megawealth is untenable), and global population growth evens out by choice rather than force, war, or die-off.  It's certainly better than Americans feeling pressured to have a half-dozen children to work their farms while exploiting other nations.

I don't see how that evens out population growth or the environmental impact, though. Humans are still being born, and then living with first-world standards.

It only ends when automation increases to the point where the entire world consists of developed economies where robots are performing all the labor at a lower environmental impact than humans.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119328 on: January 16, 2021, 08:47:15 pm »

Then we'll have many humans to spare. Musk better hurry up with those Martian cities.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

TheSteppeWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Надад чонын сэтгэл байна
    • View Profile
« Reply #119329 on: January 17, 2021, 04:41:05 am »

We need more population controls in overpopulated countries and also higher environment regulations. Then Ig we have a chance. There will be losses but we brought this upon ourselves.
Those who stomp on Mongolian land, will leave their lives on Mongolian doorstep.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #119330 on: January 17, 2021, 11:13:25 am »

Had one of those semi-regular talks with mom today, where she asks about my plans for the future, tells me how I can't be working my current job forever, how I need to be looking for something better, that I'm worth more than this, that I should grow up, stop playing games, get serious about life, all the good stuff.

Now, it was never my plan to work where I'm at forever, even a long time really (creeping up on my second year there in a few months) because it's not the healthiest or most fulfilling lines of work, but it gets me out of the house and the pay is fairly decent for these parts. That said, the plan always was to save up a decent sum and gtfo. I'm already sitting on a nice amount (mostly because covid kinda killed the majority of my expenses) but the getting out part is a bit tougher considering the whole 'pandemic going to town on modern civilization' thing that started a year ago.

Furthermore, my plans always were fairly loose, simply because I got burned by expecting things to go my way too many times, can't get fucked if you don't depend on a specific thing to happen. Plus it's kinda easier to keep a life dream a dream than it is to see it crash and burn for whatever reason. What they did include was finally going whole hog into art, be it illustration, concept art or a mix of both, whatever works out better I guess. One part of that (and the major part really) is getting back in shape artistically since I've grown super rusty over the past several years, especially in terms of digital stuff. And that is all without the entire mountain of doubts and fears I've got piled upon the whole thing, however valid some of them might be.

So uh yeah, ton of uncertainty coming up, something I'm not terribly great at dealing with as well as trying to work out a ton of personal issues that have sorta built up over the years.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #119331 on: January 17, 2021, 11:17:52 am »

Don't worry man, that's just moms for ya.  Most moms are like that.  It sounds like she just wants the best for you though.
Reply with a 'it's sweet that you are thinking with me, but don't worry, I'm getting there'.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119332 on: January 17, 2021, 07:02:02 pm »

I'm alone. Like, nor physically but.... while I get along well with my wife and things have improved a lot we still dont comunicate enough in quantity nor quality. Our constant ocupations keeps us appart more than anything.

I cant connect with my son in a meaningful way beyond hugs or nagging him for.. well, for what you nag a 3 years old boy. He is just too young.

All my friends are either abroad or dead.

My family is of little help and is not like they think of my much beyond someone to get shit done for them for free or in exchange of a few cents.

For patethic as migth be my biggest interaction with people is here and in another forum.

Im coping with all with not much effort because in reality I have been kinda lonely most of my life or at least used to be alone.

Financial burden and overall stress over, well, everything, as every single and little thing is a horrible struggle against, well everything, failling society, antagonist goverment at every corner and crisis on every single sector and facet of this country....

Im feeling like snaping at any moment and just curving up in a ball to wait for the sweet release of an early grave... but that is not even an option, the finalcian burden of even the simplest coffing or burial spot rigth now woul leave my wife and kid destitute, not to mention without half their source of income.

A few months ago I was really depresed and went to therapy, and got better but this is different, Im not particulary burned or down. Just kinda sad and perhaps a tad worn.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #119333 on: January 18, 2021, 01:30:35 pm »

I'm alone. Like, nor physically but.... while I get along well with my wife and things have improved a lot we still dont comunicate enough in quantity nor quality. Our constant ocupations keeps us appart more than anything.

I cant connect with my son in a meaningful way beyond hugs or nagging him for.. well, for what you nag a 3 years old boy. He is just too young.

All my friends are either abroad or dead.

My family is of little help and is not like they think of my much beyond someone to get shit done for them for free or in exchange of a few cents.

For patethic as migth be my biggest interaction with people is here and in another forum.

Im coping with all with not much effort because in reality I have been kinda lonely most of my life or at least used to be alone.

Financial burden and overall stress over, well, everything, as every single and little thing is a horrible struggle against, well everything, failling society, antagonist goverment at every corner and crisis on every single sector and facet of this country....

Im feeling like snaping at any moment and just curving up in a ball to wait for the sweet release of an early grave... but that is not even an option, the finalcian burden of even the simplest coffing or burial spot rigth now woul leave my wife and kid destitute, not to mention without half their source of income.

A few months ago I was really depresed and went to therapy, and got better but this is different, Im not particulary burned or down. Just kinda sad and perhaps a tad worn.

I feel you. I have been in exactly the same place a few times the last few years. Its horrible, and there is no way out of it but through it. Do t be afraid to reach out to professional help - I did, and it worked better than expected even though at times it was just me unloading on a willing listener.
This is a blank sig.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119334 on: January 18, 2021, 01:40:44 pm »

I was going to therapy over depression and the problems that introduced in my life with my wife. It was a monumental strain economicaly but in the end it was worthy. I have to come back eventually but the doc sais maybe february... and it will give me a chance to save up for it, so is good.

Doc said I was better on the depresion side, and I do feel better on that front, but the isolation is still strong. Like, I have been like that all my life but only so far I came to rationalize it.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119335 on: January 18, 2021, 09:43:52 pm »

My 4-year-old son broke his arm this evening.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119336 on: January 19, 2021, 03:36:48 am »

Fuck that sucks. Hope it was not an open fracture. Mmay he get well soon.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #119337 on: January 19, 2021, 07:55:23 am »

Oh, the poor thing!
I hope it's not too bad a fracture. At that age it will heal fast and give him stronger bones once it's healed.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119338 on: January 19, 2021, 08:02:28 am »

At that age it will heal fast and give him stronger bones once it's healed.
You heard it folks, martinuzz recomends breaking your kids bones. This is DwarfNN.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119339 on: January 19, 2021, 08:15:53 am »

Haha... well it's a clean break, but both radius and ulna... they set it and splinted it, but now we have to go to an orthopedic doc for final check before casting.  The sadness is mostly that he won't be able to do fun stuff like sledding, play catch, etc. like we usually do... it's his dominant arm.

Plus wow the medical system is crazy. You'd think you'd have all the staff / specialties you'd need on-site in one place for basic "accident" care medicine, instead of having to go all over the place.

I'm also sad that the place in town that is normally our urgent care center, that has x-ray capability even, has suspended their urgent care operations due to covid, so we had to go to an actual ER.  Yay.
Pages: 1 ... 7954 7955 [7956] 7957 7958 ... 8156