Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7959 7960 [7961] 7962 7963 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8577404 times)

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #119400 on: February 01, 2021, 04:58:34 am »

my chicken is very sick :(

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119401 on: February 01, 2021, 09:13:57 am »

Crap.. poultry is hard to take care when sick ans very suceptible. Do you took it to the vet already?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #119402 on: February 01, 2021, 09:37:04 am »

I have a thing happening today which is going to be stressful. So it's the last day I need the whole universe to seemingly conspire against me to stress me out.

Take a wild fucking guess as to what's happening now.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #119403 on: February 01, 2021, 09:41:13 am »

Your car won't start?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119404 on: February 01, 2021, 11:07:48 am »

You have a Great Disorder? Covid results came back positive? Your papers were eaten by your dog? Your house is on fire?

On my own sad, wife and I decided that if we cannot make the money to Laika's chemo before it starts being painful and all, well put her down instead. I hope we dont come to that and I see it wasteful as she is only 7 years old and with luck could live another 6 or 7 years easily. Also my biggest worry is about pete wondering were the hell "puppy laika" went when it suddenly dissapear one day.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #119405 on: February 01, 2021, 06:17:46 pm »

Bought a retro PC online, got refunded. 486 machines are getting hard to find.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #119406 on: February 01, 2021, 06:51:58 pm »

Is that because they were pretty quickly made redundant by the Pentium 1? Or are older models, like a 8086xt even harder to find?

EDIT: oh good old memories.  My first computer (or rather, my dad's, I was only like 8 or 9 years old) was a Sinclair ZX Spectrum 64k.
Then my dad upgraded to a Sinclair QL for himself, and a 8086xt turbo for me (with a whopping 20mB harddrive and glorious CGA colours!!! Soooo much space!).  Then came the 286at, followed by a 386. I remember skipping the 486 because the Pentium was already being hyped on the horizon.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 06:57:43 pm by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #119407 on: February 01, 2021, 07:10:44 pm »

It is simply an issue of them being ~30 year old machines. The even older stuff is even more difficult to find.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119408 on: February 01, 2021, 07:30:29 pm »

Ha, I threw a couple of those 486 today, really old stuff that did not worked anymore. I was tempted to rescue them and make a retro pc, but why for? No one gives a dam here so no one would buy it, and I have not the time to do it or play with it anyway.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #119409 on: February 01, 2021, 08:54:23 pm »

Best I can offer you is a Timex Sinclair in need of a good home.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119410 on: February 01, 2021, 09:48:29 pm »

-
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 01:31:26 pm by dragdeler »
let

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119411 on: February 01, 2021, 09:57:07 pm »

Nah, it was in a work place. I was working cleaning a old unused warehouse, organizing stuff, moving furniture and materials around, sweeping floors and came into them.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119412 on: February 02, 2021, 02:08:18 pm »

Every single day of getting a math PhD: waking up with the goal of, by nightfall, proving that you aren't lazy or stupid.

Then waking up the next day with nothing.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119413 on: February 02, 2021, 06:34:08 pm »

Quit my job at of 3 years at DG march of last year because of covid.  I live at home and my mom is recovering from lung cancer and while she's mostly good there's some things she can't do.  As soon as covid became a significant thing I made sure it was well known that I may need to quarantine with little notice.

As predicted one day her doctor recommended she quarantine, so I had to as well.  I didn't get much notice, but I made sure I told my boss as soon as possible.  She is supposed to have a schedule up 2 weeks in advance, but she didn't have it for even the next day.  I asked for a time off to see about setting up my own little place in the garage, to not have to enter the house and to see if the whole covid thing was gunna blow over. I regularly covered for other employees, including her, and took maybe 1 day off a year for doctor's appointments. She denied my time off.  So I had to quit.

I got unemployment successfully, so apparently the state didn't think I was in the wrong, despite me thinking there wasn't a chance in hell.

Fast forward to last week, mom's much healthier, still needs help around the house but her immune system is back to decent shape, so her doctor tells her its safe for me to return to work.  I reapply for dollar general, I expected a different location, but my coworkers from my previous location contact me and ask if I'm interested in coming back there.  Apparently the manager I dealt with before quit without notice, so I was welcomed back, I was ecstatic.

A few days go by with no word, and I contacted them today and found out that apparently the previous manager had blacklisted me for 'quitting without notice'.  And since the district manager was also new and did not know me, he would not override it when requested.

Despite it being a crappy retail position I liked that job, and liked the people I worked with, many of whom are still there.  Sucks how much one person who dislikes you can ruin an entire career with a company despite everyone there wanting you back.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 06:39:31 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #119414 on: February 03, 2021, 04:13:53 am »

I'd try sending a polite letter to the new manager explaining the whole situation again.

Pages: 1 ... 7959 7960 [7961] 7962 7963 ... 8156