Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7964 7965 [7966] 7967 7968 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8578091 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #119475 on: February 08, 2021, 10:21:23 am »

Maybe we shouldn't be sexually harassing people who are explicitly not interested, just a thought.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119476 on: February 08, 2021, 12:27:24 pm »

Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119477 on: February 09, 2021, 03:10:22 am »

Since when was making dick jokes sexual harassment?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #119478 on: February 09, 2021, 03:15:14 am »

It isn't, it's just intellectual torture
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #119479 on: February 09, 2021, 03:21:48 am »

I mean, if it's not sexual harassment, it does show a lack of respect, no? Like, he's already said that he doesn't want dick jokes, and then you just go ahead and make dick jokes anyway? Pretty disrespectful. I like dick jokes myself, but to force it directly on those who aren't interested is playing a fool's game.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119480 on: February 09, 2021, 04:02:39 am »

Here's the thing;  When you are say-- an asexual bastard like myself, life itself becomes one on-going dick joke.

There are at least 3 ways you can approach that reality.

1) Roll with the punches and just react in a fashion raunchier than the world expects (which is how I normally approach it)

2) Be vocally offended by it, and try to change the world. (I perceive this as a futile effort.)

3) Curl up into the fetal position. (either literally or metaphorically.)

I decided to go with option 3 this time, because another person responded with option 2, and while I admit to being difficult to get along with at times, I do not willfully engage in dickery unless heavily provoked.  I came VERY close to taking my preferred option, and doubling down on the dick joke antics, but again, do not engage in willful dickery unless provoked, and somebody requested that it not escalate further.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119481 on: February 09, 2021, 04:03:23 am »

Let's take two minutes to think about this situation if Arx's profile read "female."
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119482 on: February 09, 2021, 04:11:27 am »

That depends heavily on social attache's to the concept of femininity.   It has been my observation that women (In the broad, biological category, not in the constrained 'within a cultural population' conception) tend to be just as ribald and prone to making dick and butt jokes as men are.

I will (try to) keep my views about toxic femininity to myself, but taking time out to cater to a very specific circumstantial intersection (biological gender + social normative behavior, within a specific culture), with the implication that it should be "universal", is not something I easily will accede to.

That should instead be taken very much on an individual, or "as pertains to that cultural demographic" behavioral modification, not a "Per biological status" behavioral modification, IMO.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #119483 on: February 09, 2021, 05:00:26 am »

Here's the thing;  When you are say-- an asexual bastard like myself, life itself becomes one on-going dick joke.

1) Roll with the punches and just react in a fashion raunchier than the world expects (which is how I normally approach it)

2) Be vocally offended by it, and try to change the world. (I perceive this as a futile effort.)

I decided to go with option 3 this time, because another person responded with option 2, and while I admit to being difficult to get along with at times, I do not willfully engage in dickery unless heavily provoked.  I came VERY close to taking my preferred option, and doubling down on the dick joke antics, but again, do not engage in willful dickery unless provoked, and somebody requested that it not escalate further.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

<hides in a corner>

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #119484 on: February 09, 2021, 05:02:12 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

<hides in a corner>
https://youtu.be/MsUmP1PGBGE
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #119485 on: February 09, 2021, 06:17:40 am »

ha ha, penis funny. grow up guys.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119486 on: February 09, 2021, 06:22:02 am »

(Difficult to resist option 1... Difficult to resist option 1....)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119487 on: February 09, 2021, 06:25:47 am »

*whispers option 1 is always the right option*
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #119488 on: February 09, 2021, 06:38:56 am »

Honestly, my (female) friends are by far the worst when it comes to raunchy jokes and interpreting everything in the context of penis. ...actually the one is trans, so I suppose she's not "female" in the biological sense if that's how you want to look at it, but I figured this was more of a societal/gender thing and you get what I mean.

Frankly, the point of the matter isn't the person's gender, it's the fact that they specifically exhibited a desire to avoid said comments and we couldn't take the time out of our busy days of making dick jokes in order to *not* make dick jokes for a moment. That's the issue; not respecting an individuals personal wishes.

I love dumb dick jokes as much as the next guy (or gal, or other), but I do try to make the effort to keep it in my metaphorical pants when the situation calls for that.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #119489 on: February 09, 2021, 06:46:13 am »

If we had to take into account everyone's aversion to a particular type of jokes, the world would be a silent heavy-hearted place.

Putting spoiler tags is as far as I am willing to go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8ghXxXyAuw
« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 06:51:17 am by martinuzz »

Pages: 1 ... 7964 7965 [7966] 7967 7968 ... 8156