Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7969 7970 [7971] 7972 7973 ... 8153

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8472891 times)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #119550 on: February 21, 2021, 07:43:16 am »

Thank you all. That sucks a lot del, however as you say is good motivation, if a heart breaking one. If you have a steady income and you haven't already make a budget to save up enough and stick to it with all your migth.

In the sad continuation or Lord Baal's A Series of Unfortunate Events. Last night we talked way past midnight. The wife was not shocked as I foreshadowed and told me she was in fact expecting such thing since we married 5 years ago.

We called her mother earlier in the evening and offered us shelter if needed, but since her family lives so far that would also imply a lot of other dificulties, but is nice to have a safety net.

We called my mom, she told us no pressure but we should move out as soon as we can. No comments on what she is going to do with the place at all.

I have one last resort of my own. My late grandmother house. Is large, is somewhat dilapidated and one uncle is living there with his girlfriend. He is a cool guy up to a point, have to swing by and ask how all is going and if we could crash there for a couple of weeks or even months. The place is really large so I think we all could live there for a while without bothering each other.

If not then my mother in law it is.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119551 on: February 21, 2021, 10:23:47 am »

Thank you all. That sucks a lot del, however as you say is good motivation, if a heart breaking one. If you have a steady income and you haven't already make a budget to save up enough and stick to it with all your migth.

In the sad continuation or Lord Baal's A Series of Unfortunate Events. Last night we talked way past midnight. The wife was not shocked as I foreshadowed and told me she was in fact expecting such thing since we married 5 years ago.

We called her mother earlier in the evening and offered us shelter if needed, but since her family lives so far that would also imply a lot of other dificulties, but is nice to have a safety net.

We called my mom, she told us no pressure but we should move out as soon as we can. No comments on what she is going to do with the place at all.

I have one last resort of my own. My late grandmother house. Is large, is somewhat dilapidated and one uncle is living there with his girlfriend. He is a cool guy up to a point, have to swing by and ask how all is going and if we could crash there for a couple of weeks or even months. The place is really large so I think we all could live there for a while without bothering each other.

If not then my mother in law it is.

It sucks that you're in this situation, but at least there is some hope. Good luck to you.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119552 on: February 21, 2021, 02:08:46 pm »

Really glad to hear this. Living three generations to a house has a lot of advantages :) Some of my relatives still do that even when the grandkid generation is all grown.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119553 on: February 21, 2021, 07:25:50 pm »

It looks like my best friend's toxic relationship has finally given him clinical depression. I tried to convince him to leave her, but few people in those situations ever heed that kind of advice. Now he's depressed and I have no idea if he'll ever be able to get over it.

I feel like I've failed as a friend. They've been dating for two years and their relationship became a trainwreck 2 months in. I had so much time, but I wasn't able to save him.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119554 on: February 21, 2021, 07:57:03 pm »

Is not your fault. Is he mentally disabled or underage? Did you told him clearly what you saw in the relationship and warned him he was getting hurt? Did you set him up with her with knowledge of what was going to happen?

If the answers are no, no, yes and no you dont have any fault in it.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 07:59:08 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #119555 on: February 21, 2021, 09:59:16 pm »

It looks like my best friend's toxic relationship has finally given him clinical depression. I tried to convince him to leave her, but few people in those situations ever heed that kind of advice. Now he's depressed and I have no idea if he'll ever be able to get over it.

I feel like I've failed as a friend. They've been dating for two years and their relationship became a trainwreck 2 months in. I had so much time, but I wasn't able to save him.

Chances are your friend was depressed prior to the relationship, else he’d have left a toxic relationship already, no?

This also isn’t your fault. You told him what you saw, it’s up to him to act. You aren’t his handmaiden.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119556 on: February 21, 2021, 10:40:04 pm »

Chances are your friend was depressed prior to the relationship, else he’d have left a toxic relationship already, no?

Oh you sweet summer child. The thing about abusive relationships is that for whatever reason, people find them hard to leave. Even when the person is literally beating you, victims feel some sort of undefined pull that keeps them in place. They often rationalize their partners behavior and in the worst scenarios, they start to believe that they somehow did something to deserve this abuse. It's horrifying to see a friend undergo this transformation, and it's also incredibly frustrating when they refuse to do the obvious steps to help themselves.

The best analogy I can think of is drug addiction. At some point you know it's bad for you, but you keep going at it because you literally can't control yourself anymore.

The reason why I tell you this Hector is because it can happen to anyone. Even you. Not enough people are aware of the dangerous pull of these kinds of relationships, and even those who are aware can still get sucked in. The only real defense is to spot the red flags and get out before you cross that event horizon.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119557 on: February 21, 2021, 11:08:24 pm »

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/three-rescued-deserted-island-bahamas-after-surviving-coconuts-33-days-n1257248

I bet they thought they were better off when they were found. It kind of sounded like a real good story, except for the whole concentration camp part.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #119558 on: February 21, 2021, 11:51:17 pm »

Oh you sweet summer child. The thing about abusive relationships is that for whatever reason, people find them hard to leave. Even when the person is literally beating you, victims feel some sort of undefined pull that keeps them in place. They often rationalize their partners behavior and in the worst scenarios, they start to believe that they somehow did something to deserve this abuse. It's horrifying to see a friend undergo this transformation, and it's also incredibly frustrating when they refuse to do the obvious steps to help themselves.

The best analogy I can think of is drug addiction. At some point you know it's bad for you, but you keep going at it because you literally can't control yourself anymore.

The reason why I tell you this Hector is because it can happen to anyone. Even you. Not enough people are aware of the dangerous pull of these kinds of relationships, and even those who are aware can still get sucked in. The only real defense is to spot the red flags and get out before you cross that event horizon.

I am aware of this, moreso than most.

If your friend stayed in a relationship that was obviously abusive to an external party within two months of it beginning, it is likely your friend had some issue prior to the relationship. This could be from their ignorance of what a healthy relationship looks like, but if you were pointing out the issues you saw, it is much more likely they were emotionally incapable of committing to ending something that’s harmful to them.

Depression is an insidious beast, it manifests itself in so many different ways it can be difficult to identify, even if you know it’s there. It doesn’t even have to be bad to be wholly destructive to whomever has it because it can affect so many things in their life that it’s like death by a thousand cuts.

If this relationship uncovered they had it, the relationship was good for one thing at least, because now they can deal with that.

Regardless, the latter point still stands: you can lead a horse to water but you cannot make it drink. Your friend lives their own life, all you can do is be supportive of them until they make the decision to leave the relationship.

The fun part about abusive relationships though is that even if the relationship is ended, it doesn’t mean the abuse stops! Yay for extra trauma on the side.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119559 on: February 22, 2021, 12:32:03 am »

-
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 01:45:28 pm by dragdeler »
let

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #119560 on: February 22, 2021, 01:01:20 pm »

Daft Punk is over. I mean, sure it's been a long while since they actually released anything but still.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #119561 on: February 22, 2021, 01:36:19 pm »

This is the time for smart punks
Love, scriver~

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #119562 on: February 22, 2021, 02:25:28 pm »

Daft Punk is over. I mean, sure it's been a long while since they actually released anything but still.

He literally exploded, like some sort of drummer.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #119563 on: February 22, 2021, 05:54:51 pm »

The perfect song is framed by silence indeed.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119564 on: February 22, 2021, 08:20:27 pm »

Feeling angry at a friend who told me I should talk about things before I get overwhelmingly upset about them, but won't let me come visit her except in crisis situations.

This pandemic has destroyed most of my friendships and virtually all of my work relationships. Lots and lots of people who I used to play a game online with every week or something like that and then suddenly canceled and stopped texting.

Just saw something from the university that indicated they might not be back to in-person instruction by the fall, too. I'm barely making it through day after day of my graduate program, and I'm older than any of the other students. Once again, the supports I built for myself have been steadily disappearing. I don't know what to do. I've been looking forward to this PhD program for the past 10 years.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 7969 7970 [7971] 7972 7973 ... 8153