Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7972 7973 [7974] 7975 7976 ... 8155

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8559188 times)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #119595 on: February 27, 2021, 08:39:09 am »

Everyone should do so. Even to pals over here in the forum.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #119596 on: February 27, 2021, 10:41:44 am »

Whoever decided to put a line in the middle of my meds (presumably indicating that it can be cut in half) needs a warning. I have a history of not liking these things in general, but I was having an okay time with these 5 mg pills (my standard dose is 5 mg; clearly at baby doses at this stage). Having only 10 mg pills and splitting those in half is not the same as taking a single 5 mg pill.

A 5 mg pill is like being slowly drugged to brain-sluggishness, which is kinda the entire point. A split 10 mg pill, despite technically being the same dose, is like being forcefully restrained, and the drug's just slamming into my brain at Mach 10 like it's trying to kill me. It's the same overall result, but the speed (determined by absorption rate, in turn determined by surface area?) at which it "kills" me substantially worsens the experience.

I strongly suspect there's already research on how well certain classes of psychoactive drugs are perceived by a patient and how the absorption rate of the drugs affect it, with the total dose remaining constant. Or whatever the technical terms are; I'm no doctor. Anyway, I think I've blabbered on for too long. I'm going to put myself to sleep. Forcefully.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119597 on: February 27, 2021, 12:42:49 pm »

-
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 01:47:02 pm by dragdeler »
let

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #119598 on: March 01, 2021, 04:26:00 am »

One of my country's writers / poets, Marieke Lucas Rijneveld, returned her assignment to translate Amanda Gorman's poem to the publisher, after a BLM-extremist wrote an article to the newspaper that she wasn't the right person for the task, because they are non-binary and white, while Amanda Gorman is female and black. According to the letter, a white person can never feel the right vibe that is needed to translate something written by a black person.

Hey BLM extremists... Maybe if you want to fight racism, you should stop being racist and bigot.

(Imagine the huge riot that would happen if a black person was told they are unfit to translate a white person's text)

EDIT: While I abhor racism in all forms, I find it harder and harder to stand behind BLM.  All lives matter is the only way to truly fight racism.  Contemplate... In the beginning, the NSDAP started out as an 'aryan lives matter' movement.

Note, that Amanda Gorman herself was happy and pleased with the publisher's choice to ask Rijneveld to translate her poem.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 04:41:11 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119599 on: March 01, 2021, 04:44:37 am »

I'm not sad today, I actually had a pretty good day. I'm just being nagged by a constant thought, that has been bothering me for a while and it manifests in the same words: that I don't want to be happy, I don't want to be alive at all. I don't want to take any measure to actually improve my life, doing so would be an implicit challenge to this belief, a confirmation that I actually do want to be alive. A part of me wants me to keep hating my life, and keep hating the world that created me; that the foundation of my "self" is hatred, and removing that will destroy who I am.

Or maybe I'm just a lazy asshole making excuses.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119600 on: March 01, 2021, 04:59:28 am »

One of my country's writers / poets, Marieke Lucas Rijneveld, returned her assignment to translate Amanda Gorman's poem to the publisher, after a BLM-extremist wrote an article to the newspaper that she wasn't the right person for the task, because they are non-binary and white, while Amanda Gorman is female and black. According to the letter, a white person can never feel the right vibe that is needed to translate something written by a black person.

Hey BLM extremists... Maybe if you want to fight racism, you should stop being racist and bigot.

(Imagine the huge riot that would happen if a black person was told they are unfit to translate a white person's text)

EDIT: While I abhor racism in all forms, I find it harder and harder to stand behind BLM.  All lives matter is the only way to truly fight racism.  Contemplate... In the beginning, the NSDAP started out as an 'aryan lives matter' movement.

Note, that Amanda Gorman herself was happy and pleased with the publisher's choice to ask Rijneveld to translate her poem.

Sorry Martinuzz, your hot take is cancelled, because the statement "All lives matter", is used by white supremacists to keep other ethnicities down, and to dilute the attention from the problem.

(Only partially sardonic there.)

Nevermind that I agree with the position you have taken, and try to go great lengths to assert that race is meaningless, and should be treated as meaningless, in much the same capacity you have just expressed.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #119601 on: March 01, 2021, 05:02:57 am »

Oh shit yeah, I forgot that term was inappropriatly taken

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #119602 on: March 01, 2021, 06:04:13 am »

I probably have ADHD and it’s possibly the source of most of the problems I’ve had in my life. This thought isn’t going anywhere for now. That’s more or less its start and ending right there.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #119603 on: March 01, 2021, 06:52:35 am »

I've grown more and more certain I have some form of ADD as the years has gone by and the signs has grown more marcant. I was evaluated for it ten years or so ago but they found I did not enoughly fulfil the requirements for a diagnosis, so now I'm relegated to being one of those fools who self-diagnose on the internet.
Love, scriver~

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #119604 on: March 01, 2021, 07:49:10 am »

The chimken died (like a scene from the exorcist, she was dramatic to the last moment). There was underlying reproductive disorder/cancer that led to body failure after she recovered from cocci. I guess one led to being weakened enough to being susceptible to the other condition. She fought like crazy though. Rest in pieces

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #119605 on: March 01, 2021, 06:19:59 pm »

RIP chimken. May she be survived by her many delicious eggs

We're going to have to put down our oldest cat soon. She has an ongoing sinus infection that antibiotics couldnt clear up, on top of other mounting health issues. She's like 17-18. Had her since I was 10 or so.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119606 on: March 01, 2021, 08:40:20 pm »

Apparently some of my fellow PhD students have been living in the math dept. offices.

*sigh*

these are bad times all right.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #119607 on: March 01, 2021, 09:08:00 pm »

Hasn't that been relatively common for years/decades now? PhD students in general have it rough, can't imagine math ones are particularly better off.

... are they at least not getting kicked out, or...?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119608 on: March 01, 2021, 11:38:38 pm »

It's not exactly normal, no. Sleeping in your office once in a while is normal. Straight-up moving in there is not.

Virtually all math PhD students are supported by TAships, myself included, and the rent near the campus has been dropping. Two people trying to straight-up live in the math department ... no.

Yeah, they're gonna be kicked out. There's support for unhoused students that they have decided not to take advantage of for whatever reason.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #119609 on: March 02, 2021, 07:03:41 am »

We are getting to the root of the problem here. Their prescence is having a subtractive effect on the academic environment. A division must be added to the student corps to sacrifice them to a higher power before they multiply.

Pages: 1 ... 7972 7973 [7974] 7975 7976 ... 8155