Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7973 7974 [7975] 7976 7977 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8573150 times)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #119610 on: March 02, 2021, 09:55:02 am »

One of my country's writers / poets, Marieke Lucas Rijneveld, returned her assignment to translate Amanda Gorman's poem to the publisher, after a BLM-extremist wrote an article to the newspaper that she wasn't the right person for the task, because they are non-binary and white, while Amanda Gorman is female and black. According to the letter, a white person can never feel the right vibe that is needed to translate something written by a black person.

Yeah, the people the right has infiltrating any left-wing group always use crap like that to divide people. Remember that the police/Feds were born out of the union-busting groups the train companies created.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #119611 on: March 02, 2021, 11:08:39 am »

Yeah all these Englishmen infiltrating Scotland and committing indecencies gets worse every day
Love, scriver~

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #119612 on: March 02, 2021, 11:57:21 am »

Let us remain cognizant of the fact that identifying as left-wing does not preclude being a bigoted idiot, whether or not that is truly the case here.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #119613 on: March 02, 2021, 02:00:27 pm »

Yeah all these Englishmen infiltrating Scotland Marbella and committing indecencies gets worse every day
FtFY
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #119614 on: March 02, 2021, 02:38:05 pm »

Yeah all these Englishmen infiltrating Scotland and committing indecencies gets worse every day

Exactly.

We Scots can commit our own indecencies, thank you very much.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #119615 on: March 02, 2021, 04:14:33 pm »

braveheartbutt.gif
Love, scriver~

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #119616 on: March 02, 2021, 06:17:01 pm »

Christ, 14 hours of work and a bit over 5 hours of sleep is not fucking fun. And I still got shit I want to do before going to bed but my brain is kinda giving up.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119617 on: March 02, 2021, 07:05:49 pm »

Sleep dude. I feel you. Sleep.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #119618 on: March 03, 2021, 05:25:17 am »

I agree, sleep.

But that might be easier without LordBaal feeling you ;)
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119619 on: March 03, 2021, 05:55:06 am »

You never know 'Dwarfy1, Jopax might be into that kind of thing--

A married, hard working latin man, running those hands of his up and down just before bed---- Some 1%ers pay good money for that kind of thing. :)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119620 on: March 03, 2021, 07:03:04 am »

Honestly I'm at the point that would be considered an honest job by me hahaghahaha
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #119621 on: March 03, 2021, 08:28:33 am »

Something I've been considering while struggling to sleep without medication is that I'm not quite sure if the fact that I essentially emulate a "normal" (which is an ill-defined term) person is necessarily making me happier. It's led me to make great friendships with people, but I think there's something wrong with why I do it. I was hurt by this group of assholes in a previous (closest equivalent would be "middle") school, and now I believe that everyone is out to get me, just like those people did. I had to move schools because of these dickbags. Of course, I know now that, no, people aren't even remotely close to that mythologized model.

Thing is, though, it's becoming increasingly obvious that the lizard brain in me will not listen to evidence. It just won't. I could build houses out of the evidence that people do not, in fact, hate me. The moment there's a slight error, especially on my part, though, that fucking thing just proclaims to the heavens that the sky is falling. I know it's not. It's just a minor error, and people will forget it. I'm usually able to tune out the noise that thing generates, but trying to sleep... imagine if all the TVs in your house just suddenly turned on and tuned themselves to Alex Jones when you're trying to sleep, with all the conspiracies that guy spouts.

The signals the lizard brain produces are very characteristic. They're what I'm now calling "'please-don't-hurt-me' instincts". It's a scared and confused version of myself, one fearing that I'm going to be forcefully pushed out of social groups, to have others turn their backs on me, to be betrayed. They're a reflection of the trauma I experienced back in school, amplified so hard that they could be used against protesters.

I'm now finding it hard to completely reject its cries. Not because I think people are actually out to hurt me, no, but because I'm feeling some kind of sympathy. Look, as much as I try to distance myself from it, it's still me. Those instincts still guide me. You know why I don't touch politics threads? You know why I (almost) always adopt a conciliatory and deescalating tone in arguments (assuming I don't just die of embarrassment on the first sign of resistance)? You know why I try to be agreeable? I don't want people to hurt me. Pain adds and multiplies over and over in me. I've managed to at least resist small bits of pain, but outside that protected range, it just goes mad.

And that's why I'm mulling over why I do all of this. Why I subject myself to 100% load, day in, day out, running at speeds well past the limits of stability and teetering on the edge of madness. Supposedly, I do all of that, just so that I don't get hurt again. Isn't that victim-blaming? That's not right, isn't it? It's not my fault that the school-people were such unapologetic piles of shit. That's not within my control. I may have been socially-inept, but good people don't hurt you because of it.

But if that can't be accepted, what can? I don't want to do it out of spite; spite was the very reason that led me to being hurt. It's wrong. Kindness should not come from a place of hate. Especially if you're trying to reverse the hate that others have inflicted onto you. What now?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #119622 on: March 03, 2021, 02:04:05 pm »

The fact you’re aware of these thoughts and (presumably) the patterns they take is a really good thing. It means you can work toward pulling them out and examining them and their roots in order to figure out whether they’re useful to keep around. If you are at such a level of stress or whatever that it’s making you feel like you’re going mad, then maybe not.

You learned to have these responses from your middle school experience, and it is possible to unlearn them, too.

Are you perchance receiving therapy alongside your medication? It sounds like some CBT1 (based mostly on my own experience with it rather than anything else) would be quite useful for you to help sort through these thoughts.

1 of the cognitive behavioural variety. Knowing this place, there has been some willful misinterpretation of the abbreviation...
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #119623 on: March 03, 2021, 02:11:29 pm »

... not wilful, exactly, but considering the other major usage of that abbreviation, spelling it out is probably the safer bet.

Not too long ago, I took the time to excise all the CP (intended to be shorthand for Centerpoint, a fairly major large print book vendor) from my library for similar reasons, for what it's worth. Sometimes it's better to just take that extra bit of time and remove a potential source of misunderstanding.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119624 on: March 03, 2021, 08:37:41 pm »

I hate how many questions my dad makes. What are you doing? What are you doing? Have you done your homework yet? You have this to do. You have this same thing to do. You have this same thing to do. Are you doing this same thing? Repeat every 15 minutes. Whenever I say "I'll get to it" because I will and I do, he'll get upset so now I don't say it and just try to answer neutrally. It may be helpful if he says it once or twice but this is just excessive and makes me want to do it less. Also with a sprinkling of him saying literally just a noun phrase such as a subject I have, me going "okay", and then him going "that's not an answer!" I've started to respond with "that's not a question!" because, well, it isn't. I get my homework done on time with straight As. Assignments over multiple days I start early. There is not a reason for him to do this. Also often whenever I'm doing something he'll just take it from my hands without asking and start doing it himself. It is very irritating.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.
Pages: 1 ... 7973 7974 [7975] 7976 7977 ... 8156