Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7974 7975 [7976] 7977 7978 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8570506 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #119625 on: March 03, 2021, 08:52:20 pm »

I am really, really tired and struggling to focus right now. The end of this week will mark another month and a half completely alone.

It's definitely not bothering me as much as last time, but ... this stuff is hard ...
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #119626 on: March 03, 2021, 10:41:17 pm »

Are you perchance receiving therapy alongside your medication?

No, actually. I haven't seen a shrink for an entire year and counting now. I haven't voiced my concerns about this yet, but I think you're nudging me to do so. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to get access to therapy, considering that I'm a college student and will probably be going back to campus in a month or so. I should ask my mom; she's a shink herself and understands how the system works, or at least knows someone who does.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119627 on: March 03, 2021, 11:00:34 pm »

The fact you’re aware of these thoughts and (presumably) the patterns they take is a really good thing. It means you can work toward pulling them out and examining them and their roots in order to figure out whether they’re useful to keep around. If you are at such a level of stress or whatever that it’s making you feel like you’re going mad, then maybe not.

You learned to have these responses from your middle school experience, and it is possible to unlearn them, too.

Are you perchance receiving therapy alongside your medication? It sounds like some CBT1 (based mostly on my own experience with it rather than anything else) would be quite useful for you to help sort through these thoughts.

1 of the cognitive behavioural variety. Knowing this place, there has been some willful misinterpretation of the abbreviation...

Although with anxiety and trauma stuff (this sounds like one of those), the other CBT would probably be less harmful. It turns out that focusing/dwelling on things is already a problem with those 2 disorders, and Cognitive Behavioral Therapy makes that worse.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119628 on: March 03, 2021, 11:55:27 pm »

CBT, as I've had it, isn't about focusing or dwelling on things. That's actually the opposite of what I've heard. The point is to allow thoughts in and don't engage them at all. So stop actively thinking about them. Eventually they just become nothing special.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #119629 on: March 04, 2021, 12:27:33 am »

Cognitive behavioral therapy isn't really a single thing with a single point, exactly, far as I'm aware. That could be part of it, but there's other parts, too.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #119630 on: March 04, 2021, 05:04:42 am »

The fact you’re aware of these thoughts and (presumably) the patterns they take is a really good thing. It means you can work toward pulling them out and examining them and their roots in order to figure out whether they’re useful to keep around. If you are at such a level of stress or whatever that it’s making you feel like you’re going mad, then maybe not.

You learned to have these responses from your middle school experience, and it is possible to unlearn them, too.

Are you perchance receiving therapy alongside your medication? It sounds like some CBT1 (based mostly on my own experience with it rather than anything else) would be quite useful for you to help sort through these thoughts.

1 of the cognitive behavioural variety. Knowing this place, there has been some willful misinterpretation of the abbreviation...

Although with anxiety and trauma stuff (this sounds like one of those), the other CBT would probably be less harmful. It turns out that focusing/dwelling on things is already a problem with those 2 disorders, and Cognitive Behavioral Therapy makes that worse.

That's not true at all, mate.
Love, scriver~

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119631 on: March 04, 2021, 06:19:18 am »

What a crappy week for all of us eh?
Last nigth I visited my grandma old house and since there were electricity I could look how the place is. Parts of the roof plaster are falling, the place is a horrid mess that would make Nurgle proud. And the missing walls and nigthmarish distribution that some family long gone is responisble for seems straight out of Tzeentch mind.

All in all, is better than sleeping on a car or the streets. The sides are three other houses well cared for and currently occupied. And the front and back are well guarded by sturdy iron gates and brick walls.

It is a rather large house, the place my uncle and his gf live is well maintained and clean.

On my way to work Ill left my wife and kid there so she starts cleaning it up and make a list of everything we will need to bring so I can help her this weekend.

My mother in law place is in better shape but is too far away to be practical.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #119632 on: March 04, 2021, 09:32:07 am »

If it's available and the repairs are within your ability, I'd call that a win! I hope you have the time, though. :/ I love fixing things but I know not everyone does and you're working a thousand hours. Good luck!

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119633 on: March 04, 2021, 12:17:45 pm »

In theory yes, the repairs to make it habitable again is just cheap gypsum and lot of water, some soap and elbow grease since the leaks that caused the damage were fixed by my uncle last year. The perk of the place Im working now is they are throwing away lots of perfectly good wooden walls, you know the cubicle ones, which I asked for and they said yes. I will use them to cover for the missing walls. Gotta ask for a ride for those however, no way I can make it on foot.

Another plus is services there are cheaper.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 12:19:45 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #119634 on: March 04, 2021, 12:41:30 pm »

Sounds like you can, with some labour investment, make that place your home! I hope it all works out.
Does it have a yard large enough to grow some veggies and perhaps raise a few chickens? Sounds like being able to be at least partially self-sufficient is a big plus with the state of your country's economy..

EDIT: Oh, and take some pics of the place in it's current state for later.
It can be very satisfying and fun to look at some 'before' and 'after' pictures with such a project as yours
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 12:45:58 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119635 on: March 04, 2021, 07:12:49 pm »

Spoiler: Main living ceiling (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Part of the bedroom (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Laundry area (click to show/hide)
The damage was done by lots of water and time. My uncle assures me the leaks are fixed. Rain season here starts in two months, so we'll wait and see. The walls were dry as bone at least.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 07:18:18 pm by LordBaal »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #119636 on: March 04, 2021, 09:48:04 pm »

Looks managable. Do use anti-fungal cleaning stuff on the walls before you paint them over. I don't think just St.Marc will do.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #119637 on: March 04, 2021, 10:57:43 pm »

I mean... yeah, I've definitely seen worse in my local than those pics, at the very least. So hey, it's better than rural florida probably-should-be-condemned, if that makes you feel any better about the situation :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119638 on: March 05, 2021, 05:22:36 am »

Is better than the first room I had in mind, the house has at least 5 rooms and two unfinished ones on the second floor. Also after taking out the trash and debris it looks far better.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119639 on: March 06, 2021, 11:04:49 pm »

Not feeling good today & don't want to eat. (ordered some takeout and will eat it regardless) Hopefully better tomorrow.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 7974 7975 [7976] 7977 7978 ... 8156