Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7981 7982 [7983] 7984 7985 ... 8153

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8475069 times)

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #119730 on: March 22, 2021, 02:49:13 pm »

I have diagnosed clinical depression, I've been deep in the shitter before and I never really managed to entirely get out of it. This isn't the only stuff of its type to come up, but it's been a long time coming, and I no longer have a distraction from my problems. But I'm not getting into them because this is the internet, and everything I type here will be immortalized forever on a piece of code somewhere.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #119731 on: March 23, 2021, 12:39:57 am »

This forum isn't actually archived. Unless you're quoted or someone manually copies your post, if you edit it out it's gone forever (unless something other than the wayback machine is archiving things, but I don't imagine so).

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #119732 on: March 23, 2021, 01:04:45 am »

Yeah, I think there's a line or two in the site's robots.txt that specifically stops the Wayback Machine's bot from archiving this website. Technically speaking, there's nothing stopping a bad bot from crawling the website even with a robots.txt, but WM's is very conservative. IIRC, it sees a robots.txt, any robots.txt, and it just nopes the fuck out and refuses to touch that website. Doesn't even matter if it isn't mentioned at all.

It's usually in the format "<website address>/robots.txt", and http://www.bay12forums.com/robots.txt does indeed point to the correct file. Here's the excerpt:

Code: [Select]
# Archive.org's "wayback machine" ... nice concept, but not when it sucks down 1.3 GB of bandwidth within a week
User-agent: ia_archiver
Disallow: /

I bet that 1.3 GB of bandwidth was an estimate from way back when (last modified April 2010). It's probably something in the region of 20+ GB now, if Toady was to allow it now.

Edit: That being said, there do happen to be archives of this very website that aren't WM. Yes, there are a few General Discussion threads in there, because of course there are. I'm both fascinated and a bit scared. It's very much like looking at a world before my time, with people that I don't recognize, and some that I do. The past is a foreign country. Especially when you only joined in 2019, a mere 2 years ago.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 01:49:03 am by methylatedspirit »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #119733 on: March 23, 2021, 02:46:04 am »

Just read in my newspaper about the shooting at the King Soopers in Colorado.
What makes me sad is that this whole corona madness made me think 'why the fuck are all the police on those photos not wearing facemasks', instead of ' how horrible, a supermarket shooting'.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119734 on: March 23, 2021, 10:15:08 am »

Microsoft is looking to buy Discord.  Why can't big corporations just leave independent companies alone?

Spoiler: Rhetorical (click to show/hide)

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #119735 on: March 23, 2021, 10:21:38 am »

It seems that everything in that social media space that gets bought out by Microsoft always fails by fading into irrelevance. It happened with Skype, it happened with Mixer, now Discord's on the chopping block. As far as I'm concerned, "(being) bought out by Microsoft" is a euphemism for a slow and prolonged death. Why do they even bother?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #119736 on: March 23, 2021, 10:48:41 am »

Ohhh no no no no! D:
Discord's memory-heavy enough without MS pulling a Skype on it!  Noooo!

Although the idea is a little poetic in a way.  Remember Windows 98/ME and all that Active Desktop crap?  Don't answer that.  Basically MS was trying to integrate Internet Explorer with every aspect of the operating system.  Largely to win the browser war, sure, but it's almost like they predicted some aspects of Web 2.0 and the importance of browsers over all other programs.

I bring this up because Discord is a giant ball of javascript.  History is a circle.  It's also a mobile app, and they love forcing *that* shit on desktop users too... Maybe I'm just freaking out, but might they remove Discord from Windows 7 and earlier?

MS Skype is such a trash fire though.  I didn't particularly mind all the animated emoji and crap, even though it's blatant monetization and ate RAM in what had been a pretty slim program.  No, what I can't get over is that their reboot version didn't have push-to-talk.  On a voice call program.  Just, no option at all for push-to-talk.  Because what they *actually* did was overwrite Skype with a reskin of their Meetups or whatever, and that also didn't have push-to-talk, and they just. didn't. care.  How dare they be so lazy in their monopolistic maneuvering, no standards these days, SMH. 

I don't know if they ever re-added it, I switched to Discord like everyone else who could figure out how to install an app (throwing some shade at an ex-friend who kept our group on Skype for like 3 years too long.  Or 2 years and 360 days according to his computer clock).  BUT JUST WHEN I THINK I'M OUT, THEY PULL ME BACK IN
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #119737 on: March 23, 2021, 11:50:55 am »

Yeah... I doubt it'd be any worse privacy-wise but they would bloat it. Discord will earn my full respect if they turn it down.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119738 on: March 23, 2021, 12:59:57 pm »

-
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 02:01:15 pm by dragdeler »
let

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119739 on: March 23, 2021, 01:46:11 pm »

I don't like Microsoft's data-mining practices ...

I finally got onto Discord this year :/ I get tired of all the accounts I'm supposed to wrangle.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119740 on: March 23, 2021, 02:10:33 pm »

Fuck discord, they got rich selling everyone's data to China XD. I use them because there's no other real option if I want to participate in online gaming.

Maybe someone else will step in with better business practices.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Yellow Pixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119741 on: March 23, 2021, 03:05:45 pm »

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #119742 on: March 23, 2021, 03:23:33 pm »

It could be worse!
Image Discord being bought out by...Facebook
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119743 on: March 23, 2021, 03:45:15 pm »

It could be worse!
Image Discord being bought out by...Facebook

I read this and I think some color drained from my face, and then I blacked out? Anyway someone crushed all the electronics in my house while I was out. Weird.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #119744 on: March 24, 2021, 01:00:27 am »

That would be great! It would make it very simple to convince everyone I talk to through discord to use IRC instead~
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.
Pages: 1 ... 7981 7982 [7983] 7984 7985 ... 8153