Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8013 8014 [8015] 8016 8017 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8580441 times)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #120210 on: September 04, 2021, 12:23:18 pm »

I blame it on you northen people not pillaging English villages anymore. Just dust off the old longship and the horned helmet and go crazy for the rest of the weekend...

Seriously however... why? You'll be missed, here for starters.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120211 on: September 05, 2021, 06:28:11 pm »

effh
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 07:22:43 pm by dragdeler »
let

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #120212 on: September 09, 2021, 02:39:57 pm »

My aunt, who had caught COVID a while back despite being vaccinated, died earlier today. I had been under the impression that she was on the mend, but apparently she'd been up and down (mostly down) for the past week or so. Then last night her organs started giving out.

It's still sinking in. I've never been especially close to my aunts and uncles since they all live so far away, but this was the one I was closest to.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120213 on: September 09, 2021, 02:47:25 pm »

I wish you the strength to accept and endure your loss dear friend.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120214 on: September 12, 2021, 07:33:57 pm »

Dear self: Please calm the fuck down . . .
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #120215 on: September 13, 2021, 12:05:57 pm »

My friend, who has been my bestie since grade school, who got me my job here at my company almost 10 years ago, got fired today. I may have ranted about him before here on the forums.

This is a half sad, half rage thing.

It started a few years back when his wife cheated on him then divorced him. It crushed him. He's a sensitive artist type. He spent the next couple years bouncing between places: his sister's serving as a live in nanny/dog sitter while he got himself sorted out. Then he moved out into his own place, but only stayed there a few months before he said he hated it. Then he moved back in with his parents.

Around the time Trump was running for election, he went from moderate liberal to the far end of the conservative spectrum. I attribute this in part getting divorced and having his whole world view shattered; his wife was liberal and he was raised liberal, but if all those things led him to getting divorced then clearly? his politics must have been wrong. So he started leaning right hard. And he's always been an avid consumer of 4chan. After Trump's election he got steadily more conservative. Started peddling conspiracy theories as memes. Refused to let himself get pinned down on what he was actually saying. Started characterizing homosexuality and transgender as a priori a form of a mental illness, a "classic sign of cultural decay like ancient Rome." Things like that. Refused to get vaccinated. I've been arguing with him and a few other of our friends in a private Slack channel, me being the only liberal hold out in a group of increasingly conservative friends, to the point things were starting to get real tense.

Then his work performance started to suffer. Started coming in at 11am, 12pm. Sometimes no call no show for a day. (He was our resident graphic artist and my job is.....pretty flexible and forgiving with hours.) Started working from 11pm until the early morning when no one was around. My read on his work was that he was getting very little done week to week, despite all the "hours" he was putting in.

Finally management put their foot down, told him he's not allowed to just leave whenever he wants to do whatever he wants (motherfucker regularly would clock out in the middle of the day to drive 45 minutes to another town just to get a fucking haircut.) No longer let him go out to get coffee with me, or leave to pick up lunch for the office. He was put on a Performance Improvement Plan that was the road map to him not getting fired. Also he had until Oct. 1 to get vaccinated, or the writing on the wall was he wouldn't be employed.

Last week I went looking for him after lunch and couldn't find him for hours. I finally see him and some people from another company in the building slip inside and ask "hey, where've you been?" To which he replied "Wouldn't you like to know" and scurried away. So I asked one of the people he was with. They were like "Oh yeah, we just went to see the new Marvel movie, it was great."

I was pretty pissed. With how much trouble he was already in, that he was flagrantly playing hookie was pretty galling. And since he wasn't telling anyone he was leaving, I also had to question if he was even clocking out. Which is stealing.

So I told someone. Not one of his bosses but someone that is in the management group that is nominally someone important around here. That was Friday. Today he was fired.

That person point blank told me "Dont take any responsibility or feelings for this, he has made his own bed. You reporting this isn't going to make or break his employment here, that's 100% already on him." So I'm guessing the fact he was canned today means he was clocked in, because that's the only thing that gets you straight up fired around here is lying about hours and essentially stealing from us. We're a small company, 30 people or less at any given time. We all know each other. Lying about hours is as good as stealing money from your friends/coworkers.

So yeah.....I feel bad, sad and mad. My friend of 5 years ago has morphed into some arch conservative, anti-vax conspiracy peddling dumbshit who got himself fired from a kushy job that, in my estimation, barely made him do any work at all. What a fucking idiot. I worry that my friendship with him, which was already strained, is going to collapse now and he's going to sink even deeper into a cesspit of worthlessness and shitty political ideology. His current plan is to "just go do movie stuff with [the guys he saw the movie with.]"

I hope for the best but I'm kinda prepping for the worst with him.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 09:26:57 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120216 on: September 13, 2021, 12:38:37 pm »

Its really sad. But what got him fired was neither you or his conservatism, it was straight up HIS insane attitude.

If anything, your work place seems really, REALLY lenient with his behaviour in first place.

One can not do such things and expect to keep the job.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120217 on: September 13, 2021, 01:19:00 pm »

I often say that this place still doesn't feel like an adult job. Some people call in sick 2 to 3 times a week and have remained employed for years. I also take some advantage of the way things work, I show up fairly late every day. But i'm frontline support for the company so I'm working pretty much as soon as I get in to when I leave, because lots of people depend on me to do my job.

And yeah. The attitude that he was somehow special (we often referred to my friend as "my bosses' employee" rather than as "an employee of the company") really started to piss me off the last few years, because we'd all be crazy busy and he would just often not be here and have dozens of excuses why, and why it was ok. Or would float around hanging out in people's offices for hours chatting or fucking around instead of doing any real work.

Point being is, many of us would not survive at a "regular adult job" based on how we work here, which makes this place special. It's the Island of Misfit Children, we're all quirky introverts and it takes A LOT to get straight up fired. He joins an illustrious group of about only 5 people that have ever been fired from here in 15 years. How fucking stupid do you have to be to shit on a job like that? The pay may not be stellar but the flexibility and patience around here is unlike any job I've ever had.

What's worse is I can sympathize. I was on a downward spiral myself immediately after college. I was unemployed for 3 years, living at home, being a completely worthless piece of shit spending my days playing video games, getting fat and hating existence, because I was terrified of getting a job in the real world and having to do real work. HE got me MY job here and broke the cycle, and essentially saved my ass.

And now the shoe is on the other foot. He's nearing the bottom of the spiral. If it was just emotional issues it'd be one thing. But it's the deliberate evasiveness and dishonesty I can't stand. If you're unhappy, quit. If you don't want to get vaccinated, quit. Don't lie and then steal from the very people that gave you this place of comfort like they fucking owe you something. The lying and the deception and the refusal to get vaccinated....it's all symptomatic of the same selfishness that is ruining American society right now. It makes me so fucking mad I want to punch his goddamn lights out. For disrespecting all his coworkers, and me, and making us all party to his self-centered behavior.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 01:22:11 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120218 on: September 13, 2021, 01:51:02 pm »

I often say that this place still doesn't feel like an adult job. Some people call in sick 2 to 3 times a week and have remained employed for years. I also take some advantage of the way things work, I show up fairly late every day. But i'm frontline support for the company so I'm working pretty much as soon as I get in to when I leave, because lots of people depend on me to do my job.

And yeah. The attitude that he was somehow special (we often referred to my friend as "my bosses' employee" rather than as "an employee of the company") really started to piss me off the last few years, because we'd all be crazy busy and he would just often not be here and have dozens of excuses why, and why it was ok. Or would float around hanging out in people's offices for hours chatting or fucking around instead of doing any real work.

Point being is, many of us would not survive at a "regular adult job" based on how we work here, which makes this place special. It's the Island of Misfit Children, we're all quirky introverts and it takes A LOT to get straight up fired. He joins an illustrious group of about only 5 people that have ever been fired from here in 15 years. How fucking stupid do you have to be to shit on a job like that? The pay may not be stellar but the flexibility and patience around here is unlike any job I've ever had.

What's worse is I can sympathize. I was on a downward spiral myself immediately after college. I was unemployed for 3 years, living at home, being a completely worthless piece of shit spending my days playing video games, getting fat and hating existence, because I was terrified of getting a job in the real world and having to do real work. HE got me MY job here and broke the cycle, and essentially saved my ass.

And now the shoe is on the other foot. He's nearing the bottom of the spiral. If it was just emotional issues it'd be one thing. But it's the deliberate evasiveness and dishonesty I can't stand. If you're unhappy, quit. If you don't want to get vaccinated, quit. Don't lie and then steal from the very people that gave you this place of comfort like they fucking owe you something. The lying and the deception and the refusal to get vaccinated....it's all symptomatic of the same selfishness that is ruining American society right now. It makes me so fucking mad I want to punch his goddamn lights out. For disrespecting all his coworkers, and me, and making us all party to his self-centered behavior.
If anything, if you need a remote worker for whatever I'm available and quite exploitable for what your standards might be!

Why would he not get vaccinated? I mean, I know why, I just had a conversation with someone saying the Russians filmed in real time from orbit how the 9-11 terrorist attack was done with holographic planes and some kind of alien explosives that destroyed the two towers completely without leaving anything bigger than a brick somehow....

It seems he actually worked towards getting fired, does he gets a substantially bigger paycheck if fired instead of just leaving?

First of all, work is work, you NEVER bring your personal problems to work, NEVER. In fact it helps to distract yourself with work from home issues sometimes. If you cannot do that then talk to your boss, supervisor or manager and say the truth, ask for a vacation or a leave or whatever to have things sorted out.

Second, if what have you upset is the job itself then you have to do the same, talk to your boss, supervisor or manager and say the truth, see if they actually listen to you, the problems you are having, your opinions or suggestions on how to improve the conditions or work or whatever your issue is, if they don't then it's time to look for another job. In the mean time, you either do your damn job as best as you can or simply quit at once if you can afford it. Your coworkers and clientes are not at fault, well, sometimes they do, still not an excuse for doing a lousy job.

Now, if you really feel like helping, you should talk to him about all what is going on. But it seems you already done all you could. Sometimes is sad but you can't help everyone. I can empathize with him, losing my wife in one way or another would be devastating, and I have been close to it once. But even if that ever come to pass, one have to realize there's no other way but forwards. If I understand right he have people depending on him, how can one quit when someone else depends on you? He seems like he was a solid guy that lost it, or maybe he was like that always and problems made his true self arise to the surface... who knows...

The truth is that while he helped you got your job back then, you own nothing to him now, beyond what standard courtesy and friendship calls for. You might have gotten a recommendation, but if YOU weren't good on your job you would have not managed to keep it.

I would leave it cool off for a while, while making him knows I'm there to talk if he needs it, and point out in a non confrontational way that it is his own devices what brought it were he is. Might as well see a bad reaction from him but eventually if he ever hits bottom and/or regain his senses he will remember your words, who knows?

At any rate, he seems like a case for a psychologist, in need to heal things and grow up a lot.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 01:55:16 pm by LordBaal »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120219 on: September 13, 2021, 02:45:28 pm »

It seems he actually worked towards getting fired, does he gets a substantially bigger paycheck if fired instead of just leaving?

Well there's the belief he'll start pulling unemployment benefits. It's not something I would do if I self-sabotaged my own job, but it's pretty standard vengeance taking on a job you felt did you dirty.

But I think once he saw the email (about a month ago) that vaccination was essentially required to keep working here, that's when he made the internal decision that he wasn't going to be staying.

I actually ratted him out on that one too.

He told my boss he got vaccinated, as we were part of a small group of people still working from the office before vaccination was generally available. One person got covid, we all had a freakout, went and got tested. Then vaccinations became available and we all (except for him) went and got it and the office started coming back in.

Well, when asked, he lied to my boss about getting vaccinated. And when my boss was talking to me about stuff generally, he said "Since we're all vaccinated now" and I said "Well, except for [my friend]." And he did a double take and went "What? He told me he was." And I just shook my head and realized I'd just outted him in his own lie. He was already pissing my boss off with his hours and work effort, and lying about getting vaccinated got him, along with other things, on his PIP.

Just spoke to my boss and he feels this was a good thing. Says my friend even thanked him three times today for firing him. But I think we both agree, he's in a bad place and we hope he gets his shit together.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 02:48:20 pm by nenjin »

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120220 on: September 13, 2021, 03:15:51 pm »

PIP... here you get a kick on your ass and bye bye. Getting fired does gives you an 50% increase on the leave paycheck, but the difference between say $10 and $15 dollars is still laughable. That's it, if you are a hard working idiot. If you don't feel like it, just affiliate to the party and many of their own unions. You'll be unfireable, to the point of people having to be caught red-handed either outright stealing or sabotaging in a BIG way the business to even start the process which can end up on the company actually having to pay for damages, rehiring the employee and literally being legally unable to fire the employee unless he kills somebody or something along those lines.

In one of the places I worked there was a guy who's only job was sitting in the stairs. I mean, he was supposed to do light cleaning, mostly gently sweeping the stairs he sat on. He never did so, for 8 years at least that I know off and I'm pretty sure he is still there, day after day, just sitting and replying nope to do any kind of job. He supposedly hurt his back while working on the factory, not that it forbade it from playing football and basket on the parking lot with the rest of the guys. Of course he knows NO ONE will ever hire him again so I guess he plans on retiring there. Problem is here private companies do not have retirement plans and public ones are laughable anyway, so most likely he'll become dependent on charity or something, or maybe just go to sit there every day of his life till he dies of whatever.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 03:56:25 pm by LordBaal »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120221 on: September 13, 2021, 03:23:15 pm »

"The only reason leaving here was tough was leaving behind you guys, my friends."

Uh huh. It was a hard call to do that but not a hard call to steal fucking money from all of us for months and maybe years of 100% sandbagging.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120222 on: September 13, 2021, 03:39:42 pm »

On a businesses every penny counts, this is specially true for small work environments as the one you describe. Yet the responsibility of any negative effect on the business extends beyond his own wrongdoing and splash his direct supervisor, if any. Now, on small companies sometimes you see far more compassion and hence it would explain why he was not sacked way earlier.

While he might feel he was not stealing, on a legal ground that might be debatable. Now on a moral one he was taking money for something he was not providing, so yeah, I agree with you.

Hopefully any damage done is not irreparable or compromised the long term health of the company for all his other coworkers.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120223 on: September 13, 2021, 03:44:41 pm »

No, we were able to eat his slack. He was just our graphics designer/"we need someone to random thing x." We'll be fine. If he was in any way responsible for technical things like I am, this would have come to a head much, much sooner. He just didn't have enough pressure on his job that his performance could immediately be shown as a problem.

It's the principle that gets me. I used to be a dishonest person in my younger years. I practiced dishonesty because it was satisfying to get away with. You felt smart, stealing and getting away with it. Better than everyone else because you're not playing by the rules "all those other idiots are."

Life taught me that the most important thing, as an individual, is to have integrity. If you don't have that, you're just one bad decision away from fucking over everyone and anyone. A lack of integrity is a slippery slope that will eventually impact all aspects of your life, from your internal world of self-deception to the external world of how you deal with people.

That's what bugs me worst about this whole thing, is his complete lack of integrity. It extends to his political views, his behavior, even what he says to people. For someone I've known all my life, that really, really, really pisses me off.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120224 on: September 13, 2021, 04:04:33 pm »

It's understandable, and you are sad and angry because you actually care about this guy, otherwise you would be simply relieved of him not being around anymore. You seem like a good friend and decent human being. Listen to your boss, it's not your fault. And let go the anger, since his troubling your company is finally over and hope this actually helps him shake his head and move forward.

Wish the best of lucks for him and your company. I have a good friend that is an excellent graphic designer, currently living on Santiago de Chile if you are interested.
Pages: 1 ... 8013 8014 [8015] 8016 8017 ... 8156