Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8017 8018 [8019] 8020 8021 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8577661 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #120270 on: October 02, 2021, 11:44:05 am »

Yeah. Thank you.

@Rose I'm not in Berkeley anymore, I moved for grad school. I'm still in California and if you want specifics you can ping me ;)

IDK I don't think this saga is over yet, I put my pronouns back on the Discord, it was just ... pain. An act of pain. I'm thinking about what I will do. I called a friend for like an hour and a half last night and talked to him while I did things like washing the dishes and stuff. I marked the texts as read. I'll figure out what they said based on my colleague's behavior on Monday.

I'm going to try to spend less time playing video games because I recently realized that there is almost literally nothing that makes me happy anymore and ... I need to work on that. I can't even take a break on Saturdays because there's nothing to take a break with.

I'm planning to back off of the school Discord too and try to get to know people in other venues. IDK I think the atmosphere is kind of toxic and it's no longer a good place to even learn math, so I might as well focus on coming to office hours in person.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #120271 on: October 02, 2021, 12:05:15 pm »

Its good to try new things, and migth as well use this to do it.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #120272 on: October 03, 2021, 11:54:12 am »

You know it's been a nice, civil end to a casual and lighthearted relationship when you find yourself recalling as much of her address as possible in case you have to call the emergency line for her attempting to kill herself.

No specific word or threat of that as such, just... Some worrying talk around the topic.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120273 on: October 04, 2021, 04:52:13 pm »

@Kagus: Sorry to hear that.

My "colleague" apologized for her text today, which suggests that my belief that anything ending with "I genuinely look forward to seeing you on Monday" is harmful ... is correct. So I deleted the texts without reading so I couldn't hurt myself with it.

I feel like garbage still and don't want to eat, because my brain keeps cycling down the drain of "hurting me must feel really good if even the fellow transes wanna do it."

Doesn't matter though right? LOL. She had a panic attack so she hurt me ... yeah ...
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120274 on: October 04, 2021, 04:56:51 pm »

People are stupid and jerks, in every significant group of people you are bound to find idiots, regardless religion, gender, etnicity, nationality, ocupation, age... you get the drift.

You are such a nice person, do not allow anyone put you down.... "as funny as it may seem, some people get their kicks, stomping on a dream"
« Last Edit: October 05, 2021, 05:28:10 am by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120275 on: October 04, 2021, 05:07:42 pm »

OK :[

*sad sniffles*

thanks internet dad

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #120276 on: October 05, 2021, 04:03:09 am »

A new investigation into sexual child abuse within the french catholic church shows that since 1950, 216 thousand children were sexually abused by about 3000 catholic pedocriminal priests and clerics. The number of victims used to be estimated at 'only' a few thousand.

According to the research committee, the new study, which after 2.5 years of research was presented this morning, will create an 'explosion' within and outside of the church.

The new studies makes tangible, that which has already been suspected before: the scale of the abuse is of gigantic proportions.

Between 1950 and 2020, between 2900 and 3200 catholic clerics were involved in abusing children. According to research leader Jean Marc Sauvé, this is only a 'minimal' estimate.
Amongst French people 18 years and older, there are at least 216 thousand that were abused by a cleric as a child.

Of all cases presented in the studies, only 22 can still lead to criminal persecution. In 40 other cases, the statue of limitations has expired, but the perpetrator is still alive. Those cases will be brought before the church.

https://www.volkskrant.nl/nieuws-achtergrond/omvang-misbruik-franse-katholieke-kerk-gigantisch-3-duizend-pedocriminelen-216-duizend-slachtoffers~bd24e909/
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120277 on: October 06, 2021, 03:11:14 am »

The thing that makes me sad is that there is a statue of limitations on rape of any kind, especially for that involving children.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #120278 on: October 06, 2021, 03:38:27 am »

That puts it at... at least a third of a percent of the population? About one out of every three hundred or so? Wonder if the rate's better or worse for french non-catholic denominations... also morbidly curious what percentage of the country's overall child sexual exploitation acts the churches constituted over the time period in question, not gon' lie. Sort of a number you could use as an addendum to the costs of organized religion :-\

Comes out to somewhere around 8 victims a day for a 70 year period, or .002 victims per priest/cleric per day, with a 3k priest level. Five hundred priest days per victim, or thereabouts? I wonder what french churchgoers think is an acceptable rate... I'd take a wild stab at it being considerably lower than that, ha.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #120279 on: October 06, 2021, 04:29:41 am »

8 new victims per day. That doesn't even cover ongoing abuse.
I keep my faith close, but... well. C.S. Lewis says it best, I think.

Quote from: C.S. Lewis: "Screwtape Proposes a Toast"
“It will be an ill day for us if what most humans mean by 'Religion' ever vanishes from the Earth. It can still send us the truly delicious sins. The fine flower of unholiness can only grow in the close neighbourhood of the holy. Nowhere do we tempt so successfully as on the very steps of the altar.”
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #120280 on: October 06, 2021, 04:39:39 am »

One redeeming aspect for the present day catholic church is that the research was done on their own request.
Doesn't make it any less horrible, and doesn't change the fact that up to 2010, the church didn't care, and actively covered up their clerics' acts of satan.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120281 on: October 06, 2021, 05:41:50 am »

Thats disgusting. And is... I have no words fellas. Poor kids. Shit. Children are sacred.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 05:44:19 am by LordBaal »

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #120282 on: October 06, 2021, 11:21:35 pm »

My father's in the hospital tonight, no specific prognosis other than his lungs being filled with fluid.  Might be an infection was the last thing we heard before my aunt (who lives closest to him) went to bed.

I know he's going, and that it will be soon, but I hope that it won't be now.

I'd really hate to be my aunts tho'.  I don't know how they'll feel having outlived all their brothers, in my eldest aunt's case, even the one born after her.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #120283 on: October 09, 2021, 01:36:53 pm »

My cousin is getting married today. I had so looked forward to being there and seeing them and meeting his partner's family, but here I am still at home because I'm a worthless piece of shit. I hate myself. I loathe everything about myself. There's not a single ounce of value to anything I think, am, or do. I'm never able to actually finish or commit to anything because of how fucking worthless and pointless I am. I exist only through the burdens I impose on my family.
Love, scriver~

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120284 on: October 09, 2021, 03:22:15 pm »

Sweetie .... I like you. Just the way you are.

Pages: 1 ... 8017 8018 [8019] 8020 8021 ... 8156